Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
I'm not sure why anyone would do that but my Jeep And the Camaro have been unplugged for years. It ridicules car makers can't built a simple interlock system that lasts at least 50k miles....BUT THEY CAN"T!

YES if you unplug it you CAN turn off the key in ANY position.

There is another option that does work, if the key won't come out simply put your hand on the shifter and depress the button in and out. The key should turn off then. Good Luck.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #16
TemptingDestiny

Drives: 2014 LT RS
Currently have this going on with my 2014- I have an appointment scheduled for this on Tuesday. I have been having to shift car into gears multiple times sometimes to finally get my key to release. I'll update when I know what needed to be done. Good times.
TemptingDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Same issue and unplugged solenoid as others have indicated. 2 years not a single problem. No cost, no replacing anything, no dealership. And guaranteed to never happen again. Replacing shifter is probably not solution. It's definitely solenoid as dozens have indicated before. It's an easy DIY too.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemptingDestiny View Post
Currently have this going on with my 2014- I have an appointment scheduled for this on Tuesday. I have been having to shift car into gears multiple times sometimes to finally get my key to release. I'll update when I know what needed to be done. Good times.
Same exact thing here. Keep us posted as to what they find
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #19
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
Same issue and unplugged solenoid as others have indicated. 2 years not a single problem. No cost, no replacing anything, no dealership. And guaranteed to never happen again. Replacing shifter is probably not solution. It's definitely solenoid as dozens have indicated before. It's an easy DIY too.
I may just do this
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #20
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
I did this no more hassle. I put a small piece of tape to hold the solenoid in the unlock position. Very easy to do.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #21
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Remove the 4 screw to remove the cover on the steering column. You will see the ignition key solenoid. Unplug and add electrical tape to keep in unlock position. I didn’t do anything to my shifter area.

Sorry if this has already been posted.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #22
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Its not the solenoid that is the issue, the interlock switch in the shifter is worn causing the solenoid to stay engaged. If you unplug the solenoid it longer gets power from the interlock switch so the key comes out.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Its not the solenoid that is the issue, the interlock switch in the shifter is worn causing the solenoid to stay engaged. If you unplug the solenoid it longer gets power from the interlock switch so the key comes out.
Agreed, this was the issue with mine. My shifter was replaced under warranty but deactivating the solenoid is another way to bypass the issue with the shifter.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #24
slomaro1

Drives: 2015 camaro
I had the same exact issue a year ago and dealer replaced the shifter
slomaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #25
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Agreed, this was the issue with mine. My shifter was replaced under warranty but deactivating the solenoid is another way to bypass the issue with the shifter.
Thanks for agreeing with me but I am a genius and never state false facts. The dealer fooled around with my key problem for over a week until I got fed up went in to the general manager and showed him all you need to do is depress the button on the shifter to remove the key. They all stood around dumbfounded looking at the shifter like it was some type of alien. I then informed them they were ALL to stupid too repair any car I would drive. I took the car home and repaired it myself by simply unplugging the solenoid. I would have replaced the shifter assembly IF there was a updated version that wouldn't fail again BUT that's not possible. Replacing the shifter is a temp fix at best. Pulling the solenoid plug is a permanent repair in this case.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Thanks for agreeing with me but I am a genius and never state false facts... I then informed them they were ALL to stupid too repair any car I would drive. I took the car home and repaired it myself by simply unplugging the solenoid. I would have replaced the shifter assembly IF there was a updated version that wouldn't fail again BUT that's not possible. Replacing the shifter is a temp fix at best. Pulling the solenoid plug is a permanent repair in this case.

The dealer "techs" are required to follow manufacturer guidelines- they can't just disconnect safety interlocks under any circumstances. They would risk their entire business due to liability if there was an accident AND their franchise with the manufacturer if they got caught removing safety systems. As the most genius and perfect all-knowing person who ever lived, I'm surprised you don't know that.

Not knowing everything about your specific car's shifter interlock functions off the top of their head doesn't mean they are stupid... although they might be, I've certainly seen some who were pretty clueless. The dealer near me is like that- they looked for an hour for a TSB on my car, but were looking under the light truck section in their system.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #27
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Is this issue just on 14/15?
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post