Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #113
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
13/14 GT500s are hampered by clutch protection.
Not sure what kind of 60’ times people were pulling stock,
but I doubt 1.7s were terribly common.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #114
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
Excellent points? really?

The regular ZL1 is no less built for the quarter mile then any car ever produced save the Demon. The Hellcat has nothing the ZL1 lacks that benefits its quarter mile capability from the factory.

First off the ZL1 like most if not all other cars was built to travel down the street and to sell to people with money. But I digress. Any other car, you do like to speak in extremes? So can my 440 Dart travel safely to the store and back? Driven by the Oldlady: Nope. It was built for only one thing and that was the 1/4 mile so lets not go into lala land. The Zl1 judging from its super fat front tires, massive front brakes, and stiff suspension, and massive amounts of cooling that ahem Ford forgot to put into their road race cars was made to do more than travel down the 1/4 mile. None of which helps the ZL1 travel down the 1/4. It even has seats for 4 people, does that help?

Quote:
Was the GT350R built for the 1/4? I guess if you're trying to build the worst possible 1/4 mile car it could be. No Auto option, an n/a FPC engine and a manual trans with exceptionally long gear ratios.

There you ago again, with the extreme is the GT350R the worst car for the 1/4 mile, ever drag race a FWD? How about Malibu station wagon with a cast iron powergide and a 1 legger rear? I had a Z/28 with a close ratio trans and I can assure you it was "worst" in the 1/4 mile. Look good though, and the Muncie was like butter through the gears DZ302..

So one gear change would make the GT350 a reasonable 1/4 mile car, hmm seems pretty easy fix for being the "worst"

Quote:
and If a regular SS with 200 less hp/torque can pull 1.7's then something is holding back the ZL1 and it ain't tires.
Seems to be more about weight of the car and size of the tire, I'm on my third set of tires going on 4th set at 15,000 miles, so sure a stock A8 on 305 888R on 19" rims still is a stock SS and would be listed as such. The only thing that can be said is that 455 HP is enough to bring a 3700 car into the limits of traction of a street tire on a prepped track for the chassis.

IMO the only real way to see what is what is to toss in a turbo 400 with manual valve body...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #115
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It just seems to me like some of these criticisms are a bit ridiculous. I mean, what more do you want out of the car? It tested at 11.4. It destroys everything on the track. It is fully optioned. It does extremely well as a DD. It comes in cheaper than the HC and GT350R and of the three, was the only one that did not have stupid markups. It has nowhere near the issues that the GT350s suffered from. The supercharger bearings did not go bust like the 15-16 Hellcat blowers did. Throw DRs on it and the stock driveshaft will not snap like the Hellcat's driveshafts have been known to do. And if there is a bog in the A10, then it is soo insignificant that I and many others have not even noticed it. GM built the perfect car and the complaint is that it can't do a 1.7 60 ft with DRs even tho people have hit high 10s and low 11s?? I'm not criticizing anyone for whatever they might have against the ZL1. But the car was not built solely for straight line runs. Yet here it is doing high 10s and low 11s. Cut the car some slack.
What more do I want is for you to proclaim that the ZL1 is faster than the HC back it up with a published review, not what someone supposedly stated fast time as stock that even DR equipped cars have a hard time matching. The no is 11:00s for HC and 10:80s for widebody. Until this review for the ZL1 is posted it is not faster in anything other than on a track and will more than likely be no 3 on the list with the 500 on the way. The good news you are only a tune away from closing the gap.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #116
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
What more do I want is for you to proclaim that the ZL1 is faster than the HC back it up with a published review, not what someone supposedly stated fast time as stock that even DR equipped cars have a hard time matching. The no is 11:00s for HC and 10:80s for widebody. Until this review for the ZL1 is posted it is not faster in anything other than on a track and will more than likely be no 3 on the list with the 500 on the way. The good news you are only a tune away from closing the gap.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...e-squad-goals/
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #117
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Just imagine what the hot shoes at Popular Mechanics and Cars.com could do with the ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #118
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
I obviously meant "1.7".

Your implication is that the SS somehow is faster because according to you, the SS can do a 1.7 60ft and the ZL1 can't even with DRs. Did the 663 HP much lighter 13-14 GT500 do a 1.7? I'm actually asking. Anyway, the ZL1 is good for high 10s to low 11s whether or not it can do a 1.7 60ft. And we don't race 60ft anyway so it doesn't matter.

And you avoided my question. Between the ZL1 and Hellcat, under the conditions I explained, which one would you put money on?
This is the point where the thread goes off track and MLEE comes in a deletes a bunch of posts because nobody who races can take you seriously when you make statements like 60' don't matter.

My implication which is substantiated by owners testimony is that the ZL1 A10 is handicapped by TM and therefore does not perform to its full potential.

As for the 2013 GT500 it weighed 30lbs less than a ZL1 at 3850 vs 3883 and it was a stick shift that 60' like shit, but it was still faster bone stock than any M6 ZL1 regardless of mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
First off the ZL1 like most if not all other cars was built to travel down the street and to sell to people with money. But I digress. Any other car, you do like to speak in extremes? So can my 440 Dart travel safely to the store and back? Driven by the Oldlady: Nope. It was built for only one thing and that was the 1/4 mile so lets not go into lala land. The Zl1 judging from its super fat front tires, massive front brakes, and stiff suspension, and massive amounts of cooling that ahem Ford forgot to put into their road race cars was made to do more than travel down the 1/4 mile. None of which helps the ZL1 travel down the 1/4. It even has seats for 4 people, does that help?

There you ago again, with the extreme is the GT350R the worst car for the 1/4 mile, ever drag race a FWD? How about Malibu station wagon with a cast iron powergide and a 1 legger rear? I had a Z/28 with a close ratio trans and I can assure you it was "worst" in the 1/4 mile. Look good though, and the Muncie was like butter through the gears DZ302..

So one gear change would make the GT350 a reasonable 1/4 mile car, hmm seems pretty easy fix for being the "worst"

Seems to be more about weight of the car and size of the tire, I'm on my third set of tires going on 4th set at 15,000 miles, so sure a stock A8 on 305 888R on 19" rims still is a stock SS and would be listed as such. The only thing that can be said is that 455 HP is enough to bring a 3700 car into the limits of traction of a street tire on a prepped track for the chassis.

IMO the only real way to see what is what is to toss in a turbo 400 with manual valve body...
I'm in LaLa land? You're bringing up cars modified into drag cars and a station wagon from the 60's? Let's try to stick to cars from the present Millennia that were built from the factory as performance cars...GT cars if you will. they all come with large front brakes , wide front tires and stiff suspension settings.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #119
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
This is the point where the thread goes off track and MLEE comes in a deletes a bunch of posts because nobody who races can take you seriously when you make statements like 60' don't matter.
Since you wanna keep talking about racing and how much of a dedicated accomplished pro racer you are, how about we take this to a thread in the proper sub-forum? Because this isn't the place for it and I am about tired of your bragging. So you and I need to settle this in the proper sub-forum. Until then, we don't need to debate this here.
Quote:
My implication which is substantiated by owners testimony is that the ZL1 A10 is handicapped by TM and therefore does not perform to its full potential.
I can speak for myself and my ZL1 and I can tell you with 100% confidence that mine has not bogged ever since day 1. I have just under 11K miles and I bought it brand new. Stock tires. Never did a burn out. Followed break-in procedure almost to the letter (had one little WOT run for about 3 seconds at about 1100 miles). Oil changed at 1500 miles and taken to the track around 1550 miles. Along with many hard launches on closed road courses. Mine has never bogged at all.

Here is all I could dig up on the issue of the A10 bogging on a Google search. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496826 . Several members including MLEE commented on here and dismissed it as an issue claiming that there could possibly be a learning curve, a tire issue, an issue with that guy's specific car, etc. There is no other info I could find on the 6th Gen ZL1 with A10 having an issue with bogging. If it was as severe as you're making it out to be, then there would be many threads about it just like there are with the M6.
Quote:
As for the 2013 GT500 it weighed 30lbs less than a ZL1 at 3850 vs 3883 and it was a stick shift that 60' like shit, but it was still faster bone stock than any M6 ZL1 regardless of mods.
I asked if it did a 1.7 60ft. I'll take your reply as you saying "no".

Now before this thread gets messed up again, how about we go back to the GT500??
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 AM   #120
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
I'm in LaLa land? You're bringing up cars modified into drag cars and a station wagon from the 60's? Let's try to stick to cars from the present Millennia that were built from the factory as performance cars...GT cars if you will. they all come with large front brakes , wide front tires and stiff suspension settings.
Yep,
1) Lets see you said that the ZL1 was built for drag racing and the only production car more dedicated to drag racing is the Demon. There are so many cars that were built for drag racing, max wedge, Ram Air II, 440 Dart.

2) You said that the GT 350 R is the "worst" drag racer ever. As noted any FWD is far worst, and yep 6 bander powerglide, 1 leggers are "worst". Clearly as far as cars go the GT 350 is probably in the what 1 percent of fastest 1/4 mile production cars, as for muscle car and pony cars go. lets see:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0r-test-review

looks like it did 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and a 12.2 @ 119 in the 1/4, you sure it was the "worst" drag racer ever???

Hence you statement of complete and total facts are completely flawed and it is coming from lala land. You could have said, the Zl1 was developed in part with 1/4 and standing start acceleration as major design criterium.. true dat.

You could have said the GT 350 R was not developed for the 1/4 mile... true dat. But nope you clearly stated it was the "worst" drag racer ever.... completely false.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 01-07-2019 at 12:03 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:19 AM   #121
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post

Great a 11:50s time posted for the ZL1, look harder there was a review that got a 11.30s out of it I think. Still a long way off from 11.00s though.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #122
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
My bud just sold his 2009 GT 500 making room for the 2020 GT 500 in his stable. I saw a Ford GT going to Port Lavaca,Tx. yesterday, silver w/blue stripes. Bump.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #123
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
looks like it did 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and a 12.2 @ 119 in the 1/4, you sure it was the "worst" drag racer ever???
It's the worst at drag racing out of any Muscle Car that costs over $60K...and the slowest. That's for damn sure, lol!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Great a 11:50s time posted for the ZL1, look harder there was a review that got a 11.30s out of it I think. Still a long way off from 11.00s though.
So the only criticism you guys can come up with is that the ZL1 can't beat a Hellcat according to you guys?? Ok. Well around a track the Hellcat can't beat a ZL1 and neither can the GT350R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
My bud just sold his 2009 GT 500 making room for the 2020 GT 500 in his stable. I saw a Ford GT going to Port Lavaca,Tx. yesterday, silver w/blue stripes. Bump.
Well I hope he is ready to pay $90K after markups. I was in the market for one. I even started rooting out a few dealerships to see if and when they would be getting one. But after the delay and setbacks and the markups that most assuredly will be there I can say I'm not interested. For what I'll end up paying I might as well buy a M5 and have an AWD sedan that does 10s and can be driven in bad weather. Plus the GT500 just seems like a rush job and I'm not too confident in Ford's abilities with this Generation. I see they're throwing lots of cool features in it. But if it has all sorts of issues like all the S550s up to this point has had then none of that will matter anyway. At best I'll see what the 20s can do and how reliable they are and maybe look to get a 2021 IF there are no markups. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #124
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Yep,
1) Lets see you said that the ZL1 was built for drag racing and the only production car more dedicated to drag racing is the Demon. There are so many cars that were built for drag racing, max wedge, Ram Air II, 440 Dart.

2) You said that the GT 350 R is the "worst" drag racer ever. As noted any FWD is far worst, and yep 6 bander powerglide, 1 leggers are "worst". Clearly as far as cars go the GT 350 is probably in the what 1 percent of fastest 1/4 mile production cars, as for muscle car and pony cars go. lets see:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0r-test-review

Hence you statement of complete and total facts are completely flawed and it is coming from lala land. I could have said, the Zl1 was developed in part with 1/4 and standing start acceleration as major design criterium.. true dat.

You could have said the GT 350 R was not developed for the 1/4 mile... true dat. But nope you clearly stated it was the "worst" drag racer ever.... completely false.
No, I never said the ZL1 was built for drag racing I said it was no less built for drag racing than other production cars save the Demon which is the only car that is sold as a drag car with DR and skinnies, trans brake, gutted interior.

...now lets go back 50 years because that seems relevant to this discussion in your mind.

Max Wedge cars were not available to the general public and most weren't even streetable due to their design. 440 darts were just an engine option in those days, not drag specific cars...they were meant to drive down the street. Ram Air II...is that a Pontiac?

...now back to the 21st Century and the GT350R. If you were building a drag car where would n/a FPC and stick shift rank in your list of combinations given the current competition and trends in vehicle design?

1st choice?
3rd choice?
Last choice?

The 350R managed a 12.1 iirc in magazine testing. pretty amazing for a car with so little drag strip thought put into it, I agree.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #125
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
It's the worst at drag racing out of any Muscle Car that costs over $60K...and the slowest. That's for damn sure, lol!!
once again wrong...that was the 5th gen Z28.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #126
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
once again wrong...that was the 5th gen Z28.
You mean the car that hasn't been made in 3 years? I was talking about cars being made now. Which, surprise surprise, the 5th Gen Z28 from 3 years ago was just as fast as Ford's current 6th Gen GT350R in the quarter mile despite having less HP.