Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Cam installed, trying to start engine and need help

Engine is put together and the tune has been loaded. We started the car up and the left bank is firing well but the right bank cylinders do not seem to be firing. Oil pressure levels seem to be reading A-ok. Any ideas what would be causing the right side not to fire? Is it a tune issue or is it something we maybe left disconnect on reassembly? Any help is appreciated thanks!
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
What else have you checked so far?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Hixson

Update. Found the issue, we had left a ground wire unhooked. Once we fixed that this baby fired up and holy shit is it better than I expected!!!!!

We took the car out to do a data log for RYAN at GPI but had to call it after 20 minutes. The shifts on this car are horrific right now. From a stop sign the car keeps switching into neutral and it does it frequently while driving at normal speeds. Engine wise this thing seems to be running really well. As far as the transmission goes, it’s terfible right now. Not sure what it could be other than the start up time being off?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
Ryan will get you fixed up. The guys from GPI are great!
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Update. Found the issue, we had left a ground wire unhooked. Once we fixed that this baby fired up and holy shit is it better than I expected!!!!!

We took the car out to do a data log for RYAN at GPI but had to call it after 20 minutes. The shifts on this car are horrific right now. From a stop sign the car keeps switching into neutral and it does it frequently while driving at normal speeds. Engine wise this thing seems to be running really well. As far as the transmission goes, it’s terfible right now. Not sure what it could be other than the start up time being off?
Good that's all it was. What ground/where was it?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Hixson

Dad found it when coming through the wire connections and stuff. To be honest we werent really sure what it could have been causing the 4 cylinders to not fire - so he was just going around and checking all connections to make sure we didnt leave anything off. Only took him about 20 minutes to call me back and let me know everything was fine, thank God haha.

Final note to this thread - we have fixed the transmission issues as well. I would 100% chalk this up to misunderstanding the research I did here on Camaro5 while preparing for my build weekend. I thought I had read that 4 quarts of Redline D4 ATF was what people were putting into their auto trans after doing the filter and gasket replacement - so thats what I bought and brought to build weekend. Well I should have combed through the manual as it says that it should take 7 quarts to refill after the filter and gasket swap. Here is the crazy part, we put in 4 quarts of Redline D4 when we swapped the filter and gasket. Then went out and bought 4 quarts of Dex 6 because we thought that might be the issue with the car. We put in all 4 quarts of DEX 6 and had to go out and buy another to get this thing full. After accounting for some drippage and whatever I bet we put in close to 8.5 quarts of tranny oil into this thing. The car runs and shifts like a dream now, so crisis averted! So to anyone planning a tranny filter and gasket swap - I would buy 8-9 quarts of oil just to be safe!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Dad found it when coming through the wire connections and stuff. To be honest we werent really sure what it could have been causing the 4 cylinders to not fire - so he was just going around and checking all connections to make sure we didnt leave anything off. Only took him about 20 minutes to call me back and let me know everything was fine, thank God haha.

Final note to this thread - we have fixed the transmission issues as well. I would 100% chalk this up to misunderstanding the research I did here on Camaro5 while preparing for my build weekend. I thought I had read that 4 quarts of Redline D4 ATF was what people were putting into their auto trans after doing the filter and gasket replacement - so thats what I bought and brought to build weekend. Well I should have combed through the manual as it says that it should take 7 quarts to refill after the filter and gasket swap. Here is the crazy part, we put in 4 quarts of Redline D4 when we swapped the filter and gasket. Then went out and bought 4 quarts of Dex 6 because we thought that might be the issue with the car. We put in all 4 quarts of DEX 6 and had to go out and buy another to get this thing full. After accounting for some drippage and whatever I bet we put in close to 8.5 quarts of tranny oil into this thing. The car runs and shifts like a dream now, so crisis averted! So to anyone planning a tranny filter and gasket swap - I would buy 8-9 quarts of oil just to be safe!
Glad to hear that's all it was
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:

Just be very careful that you are not overfilled right now. Especially since you are likely to hammer it pretty hard after a cam change.

Do you know how to check the trans fluid levels? It's not too bad, but certainly not intuitive.

Anyhow, glad to hear you got this sorted out! Good luck and have a blast!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Hixson

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Just be very careful that you are not overfilled right now. Especially since you are likely to hammer it pretty hard after a cam change.

Do you know how to check the trans fluid levels? It's not too bad, but certainly not intuitive.

Anyhow, glad to hear you got this sorted out! Good luck and have a blast!
Thanks for checking on us. After every quart added, we started the car and remove the plug on the bottom to make sure any extra would run out. Dad felt quite comfortable with that startegy for ensuring that we had enough in, but not too much. Hopefully thats sufficient!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Thanks for checking on us. After every quart added, we started the car and remove the plug on the bottom to make sure any extra would run out. Dad felt quite comfortable with that startegy for ensuring that we had enough in, but not too much. Hopefully thats sufficient!
Ok good. Last thing you would want now is trans issues.

Knowing you did all this with your father makes this that much more cool. Does he/you have much experience wrenching or was this more of a 'learn as you go' type of deal?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
Hixson

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Ok good. Last thing you would want now is trans issues.

Knowing you did all this with your father makes this that much more cool. Does he/you have much experience wrenching or was this more of a 'learn as you go' type of deal?
I build gaming computers for myself and for buddies, so I'm not mechanically inclined, but Id like to think Im good at research, pairing components, understanding certain things. Dad was a Diesel mechanic in his early days before working up the corporate ladder to where he is now. Back in the day, he was well pretty well known for his ability to work on diesel engines and tune them. I just found out during this whole project that he used to win awards for the work he did, so I guess thats pretty cool! My family is pretty DIY inclined, whether it be car issues, home improvement, etc - so we figured this would be a project where we were both capable of doing it correctly, and a great opportunity for dad to kind of pass the torch as far as the whole handyman, DIY trend goes. Pretty awesome experience to be able to do that much work together, box it up, get the feeling where your going to have the shits because of your nerves, and then turn that engine over and have everything work. Tough to describe ( I know you guys know the feeling) but its infinately more gratifying to have done all of this on our own).

Just because I dont know how well it fits continuing this thread - pop over to the build thread and check it out