CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   No lift shift (manual trans) is making my car backfire, am I doing it wrong? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480770)

SS2017 01-16-2017 12:21 PM

No lift shift (manual trans) is making my car backfire, am I doing it wrong?

2017 SS manual transmission. All stock, 2000 miles, always run premium gas.

So I went to the drag strip last week and tried no lift shift for the first time. While it did seem to function and do it's job correctly, every time I would use it, right when I would shift I would get a loud backfire from the car. I thought I was doing it wrong so I stopped. I tried it again when I went back to the drag strip this weekend, and same thing, a loud backfire when I shift. I have the car in competition mode, I am shifting at around 6200-6300 rpm (not hitting the rev limiter), and I am holding the gas to the floor for the whole pass. Not sure what I am doing wrong? But I am afraid of breaking something with the car backfiring like this. When i shift normally, I never get these loud backfire like sounds.

Has anybody else tried this no lift shift feature?

GroundhogSS 01-16-2017 03:23 PM

I have the A8 and get the same thing when it shifts under full throttle (lower gears). Several people have posted on here that it is programmed that way in the ECU. Fine with me.

Michigan1LTRS 01-16-2017 03:31 PM

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478932

SS 1LE 01-16-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS (Post 9508669)

That would be my thread. :biggrin:

OP, I think from what I have gathered this is normal with no lift shift. Not to many on here have used this function, heck, I don't think many even know their car has it...

I think what happens is spark is cut for a millisecond so you don't over rev, but the injectors still keep firing, so that extra fuel gets dumped into the exhaust, hence giving you the backfire sound you describe. I called it a gunshot like sound, but I think the technical term is "afterfire".

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will comment, but I think when you use no lift shift that loud backfire is 100% normal.

BowtieRocket 01-16-2017 04:40 PM

I have done the no lift shift in competition mode a few times and no backfire. It is my understanding that one needs to be in competition mode for the no lift shift right?

SS 1LE 01-16-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieRocket (Post 9508809)
I have done the no lift shift in competition mode a few times and no backfire. It is my understanding that one needs to be in competition mode for the no lift shift right?

Nope. It's active as long as you are going over 31 mph and have the throttle down more than 93% in any mode but snow/ice from what I can see. I think you need to be over 5000 rpm too. If you didn't get the loud "gunshot" like sound, you didn't do an actual no lift shift. As it has to dump the extra fuel when it cuts spark, which will ignite in the exhaust and give you that loud "backfire".

ModdedSS 01-16-2017 05:03 PM

So the no lift shift is basically normal shifting at WOT just without taking your foot off the gas correct?

SS 1LE 01-16-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModdedSS (Post 9508886)
So the no lift shift is basically normal shifting at WOT just without taking your foot off the gas correct?

Pretty much, but keep throttle floored, rip next gear...

ModdedSS 01-16-2017 05:11 PM

And as it's something built into the ECU, how harmful is it to the trans and clutch? I do a good bit of racing so just seeing if it's worth using

BowtieRocket 01-16-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS 1LE (Post 9508879)
Nope. It's active as long as you are going over 31 mph and have the throttle down more than 93% in any mode but snow/ice from what I can see. I think you need to be over 5000 rpm too. If you didn't get the loud "gunshot" like sound, you didn't do an actual no lift shift. As it has to dump the extra fuel when it cuts spark, which will ignite in the exhaust and give you that loud "backfire".

Interesting, cause I have done it with peddle mashed and at about 6k rpm and no backfires...:noidea: Cool to know I can do it in sport or track mode though

SS 1LE 01-16-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModdedSS (Post 9508910)
And as it's something built into the ECU, how harmful is it to the trans and clutch? I do a good bit of racing so just seeing if it's worth using

No different to the clutch, and since it cuts a little spark shouldn't be too hard on the trans. I wouldn't do it every day, but if they put it there it can't be too bad. Heck, the old Cobalt SS even had no lift shift...

lt4camaro 01-16-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS2017 (Post 9508318)
2017 SS manual transmission. All stock, 5000 miles, always run premium gas.

So I went to the drag strip last week and tried no lift shift for the first time. While it did seem to function and do it's job correctly, every time I would use it, right when I would shift I would get a loud backfire from the car. I thought I was doing it wrong so I stopped. I tried it again when I went back to the drag strip this weekend, and same thing, a loud backfire when I shift. I have the car in competition mode, I am shifting at around 6200-6300 rpm (not hitting the rev limiter), and I am holding the gas to the floor for the whole pass. Not sure what I am doing wrong? But I am afraid of breaking something with the car backfiring like this. When i shift normally, I never get these loud backfire like sounds.

Has anybody else tried this no lift shift feature?

The engine makes a blap noise during the WOT shift, automatic cars do the same thing under WOT shifts

lt4camaro 01-16-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModdedSS (Post 9508886)

No, A NLS has be done exactly like a powershift, very quick bang next gear while just stabbing the clutch exactly the same time. If you push in the clutch before you pull/push the shifter into the next gear, the NLS feature shuts down if you are too slow.

SS2017 01-16-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt4camaro (Post 9508979)
The engine makes a blap noise during the WOT shift, automatic cars do the same thing under WOT shifts

This is much louder than the usual pops and crackles you get. Have you used no lift shift alot?

Like the other guy said it sounds like a single loud gunshot.