CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   SS No Lift Shift Proof! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503081)

dotfiles 07-27-2017 11:19 PM

SS No Lift Shift Proof!

I've recently seen quite a few threads about cars having or not having NLS, what it does or what it should sound like, what modes you have to be in, should the RPMs drop etc. I thought I'd post this video in a new thread to make it more easily searchable. Launch control is only available in stabilitrack competitive and the PTM modes but I use NLS all the time with traction control on. I do not believe this needs to be done in sport or track mode (touring works too but I never use it).

Vehicle: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Settings used:
  • Sport Mode
  • Stabilitrack Competitive (double tap traction control) for first run
  • Launch control (stop and floor accelerator)
  • Traction on for 2nd run

Throttle stays at 100% throughout the run and I purposefully shifted slowly to show the effect of NLS

Mods: thought I'd post this here as its about the settings used (whether they matter or not) for NLS, not necessarily the video.

EDIT: ran another test to see what happens if you don't release the clutch after shifting with NLS.
  • Sport Mode
  • Traction fully on
  • Full throttle to redline, clutch in, shift, and don't let the clutch out
  • Throttle at 100% the whole time
You can hear the NLS fart as RPMs drop and hold where they should be for the next gear (2nd). Then when I release the clutch a 2nd later, the car applies full power automatically.

HyperBlue1LE 07-27-2017 11:26 PM

What were you expecting to happen? your revs to stay at 6k?

dotfiles 07-27-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperBlue1LE (Post 9838999)
What were you expecting to happen? your revs to stay at 6k?

No, that seems to be a common misconception. Many people on this forum seem to think that NLS holds the RPMs when you put the clutch in when it in fact lets them drop to reduce driveline shock.

SuperSteveSS 07-28-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotfiles (Post 9839000)
No, that seems to be a common misconception. Many people on this forum seem to think that NLS holds the RPMs when you put the clutch in when it in fact lets them drop to reduce driveline shock.

My rpms do not drop when I do it.

dotfiles 07-28-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSteveSS (Post 9839031)

Even if you shift slowly like the video? If I shift quickly it's much less noticeable that the RPMs are dropping since the shift window is so short but they still do, albeit with the NLS exhaust fart. The real test it to clutch in like you're going to use NLS and shift into the next gear but don't let the clutch out.

STUNNAH 07-28-2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSteveSS (Post 9839031)

Mine don't either...:iono:

BFella 07-28-2017 02:18 AM

How'd you get that video - Is it like an option in the car or what?? I keep seeing them around and I need it :O

STUNNAH 07-28-2017 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFella (Post 9839074)
How'd you get that video - Is it like an option in the car or what?? I keep seeing them around and I need it :O

Go Pro cameras very versatile...:thumbsup:

LibertyHill 07-28-2017 02:35 AM

SuperSteveSS 07-28-2017 04:10 AM

If anything, they go up... but it sounds exactly like the car Libertyhill posted.

vtirocz 07-28-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotfiles (Post 9839036)
Even if you shift slowly like the video? If I shift quickly it's much less noticeable that the RPMs are dropping since the shift window is so short but they still do, albeit with the NLS exhaust fart. The real test it to clutch in like you're going to use NLS and shift into the next gear but don't let the clutch out.

Could you post a video with that test you've described above? I will give that a shot

iPODFAN11 07-28-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFella (Post 9839074)

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUNNAH (Post 9839076)
Go Pro cameras very versatile...:thumbsup:

...That's the factory PDR (Performance Data Recorder). No GoPro there...

SSTony 07-28-2017 07:08 AM

Love that PDR. How do you get that?

Dfelux 07-28-2017 07:10 AM

Tried this on the way to work today, definitely hit the rev limiter. Anybody else notice both these vids are 1LE's? Do the non 1LE camaros a have the NLS feature?