CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Insurance: can't believe it (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281539)

Alot9439 03-07-2013 02:03 PM

Insurance: can't believe it

Well I moved to TX for school and I am in the process of changing my plates. In order to do so I need to get Auto insurance; back in OK I use to pay 240 a month for full coverage with State Farm. I though that was insane and as I am about to turn 21 the rate went down to 170 a month.

Will now looking at insurance in Lubbock I got a quote form All State for 559 a Month !!! :mad0260: they must be insane :der:. I am trying to see what state farm is going to quote me but, they said the will get back to me in a hour or so.

I am just really frustrated about the 3 fold increase in the quote. I was wondering if I were to not change plates and stay with my OK plates would it be ok ?

Also would you guy recommend any different insurance company ?

Forte 03-07-2013 02:06 PM

Personally I have GEICO and LOVE it. They are great and easy to work with. Plus it all depends on how much coverage you have. "Full" coverage implies you have comprehensive, collision and liability but the key is what are the deductables/amounts they cover. That rate is insane though, I can assure you of that.

EMB135Driver 03-07-2013 02:09 PM

You don't have to change your plates and registration if you're going away to school.....drive through the parking lot at the school and you'll see how many other people dont change plates.

Mezzmo 03-07-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB135Driver (Post 6257917)
You don't have to change your plates and registration if you're going away to school.....drive through the parking lot at the school and you'll see how many other people dont change plates.

If you're still a resident of Oklahoma, there's no need to change plates.

biggerisbetter 03-07-2013 02:33 PM

GEICO

bwk1971 03-07-2013 03:11 PM

I guess everything is BIGGER in TX. If you have any close family members with USAA, you may be able to join through them. It is definitely the cheapest I've found.

Neumatic 03-07-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mezzmo (Post 6258045)
If you're still a resident of Oklahoma, there's no need to change plates.

:word:

PalmerGA 03-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alot9439 (Post 6257894)
Well I moved to TX for school and I am in the process of changing my plates. In order to do so I need to get Auto insurance; back in OK I use to pay 240 a month for full coverage with State Farm. I though that was insane and as I am about to turn 21 the rate went down to 170 a month.

Will now looking at insurance in Lubbock I got a quote form All State for 559 a Month !!! :mad0260: they must be insane :der:. I am trying to see what state farm is going to quote me but, they said the will get back to me in a hour or so.

I am just really frustrated about the 3 fold increase in the quote. I was wondering if I were to not change plates and stay with my OK plates would it be ok ?

Also would you guy recommend any different insurance company ?

As a student, do you have to get Texas plates? If not... don't. At 21, all insurance companies will be pricey but 559/mo is outrageous. I've been with State Farm for 30 years and pay around 140/mo for my Camaro, a 2010 Dodge Ram, and my house. Keep shopping, if you have to change plates.

jd10013 03-07-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwk1971 (Post 6258232)
I guess everything is BIGGER in TX. If you have any close family members with USAA, you may be able to join through them. It is definitely the cheapest I've found.

it's all based on how much they pay out in claims, and by what segment of the population.

Sir Nuke 03-07-2013 04:45 PM

ITS A FACT, if you are still an Oklahoma Resident.....LEAVE your car registarted there, maintain your insurance there AND your drivers license all in OK....its done every day when you going to school andh is perfectly legal.

flyer08 03-07-2013 04:54 PM

Yes it's been stated, you don't have to change as you are still considered a OK resident. Also, 550month is what I pay every 6 months, that's expensive

Scalded Dog 03-07-2013 04:55 PM

Three tips: shop around, shop around, and shop around. It is amazing what a difference you can find. Different companies, offering exactly the same coverage/ limits might have monthly rates that are 300% different. Okay, another tip: In spite of what the TV commercials want you to think, "loyalty" is bull. After six months, SOMEBODY else will give you a lower rate. Same with six months later... and so on. If you stay "loyal" to one insurer, they will creep the rates up, and hope that you either don't notice, or will think that it's just inflation. However, other insurers WILL lure you with lower rates. I jump ship every chance I get, and the good news is, I just saved a bundle on car insurance!

DuskSS 03-07-2013 04:56 PM

same with military you do not have to change plates unless you become a resident.

BLU DUCE 03-07-2013 07:16 PM

Unless you are going to be a year round resident of Texas there is no need to change plates. As long as your still a resident of what your plates say. And you still hold a mailing or resident address in Ok.