#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #15
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
What is the price difference between 96 and 100?
I think it was about 8 bucks/gallon. The number was close enough to the 100 that I go with 100.
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #16
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
Do you guys have exact part numbers for the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid that you're using? Were you needing to add any LSD additives when doing the differential fluid?

Just bought a 1le with 8000miles and about to track it in a few weeks.

Thanks Eric
Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
Do you guys have exact part numbers for the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid that you're using? Were you needing to add any LSD additives when doing the differential fluid?

Just bought a 1le with 8000miles and about to track it in a few weeks.

Thanks Eric
For the differential: ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90
For manual transmission: Royal Purple ROY01512 Synchromax

No additives required with the AC Delco differential fluid.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #18
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Camaro manuals are a bit of a dog's breakfast...and unnecessarily (imo), split info into 3 separate publications. Also, the manuals vary a bit between the past 3 yrs. Using the 2019 as thr latest guide (can be downloaded from Chevy website):

1. Not using automated oil monitor for track duty is now omitted and no suggested interval given. NB Previously suggested 4hr interval seems rather excessive imo.
2. Both auto and manual tranny interval is listed as 15 track hrs
3. Elsd is listed as 24 hrs (NB this seems high to me given the condition of fluid after half of this interval).

I do maintenance intervals at about 6-7 track days:

1. Brake bleed (not a full flush which is once per year at the start of a season)
2. Both tranny and elsd fluid change (GM fluids per the manual)
3. Oil and filter change - it usually says 50% by then - i never go beyond this level regardless of track duty or not (for all my vehicles).
Valvoline MST 5w40 Dexos2.
4. New pads and tires (they are usually done by then).
5. New rotor assys - about every second service interval at 12-14 days
The last 2 items based on actual condition vs interval per se.

As part of break in: oil at 500miles and after 1st track event. elsd at 1500miles and then after 1st track event. Tranny after 1st track event.

Cheers!

Last edited by TrackClub; 07-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Thanks Track Club! Much appreciated. I snapshot your post and printed it out. Looks like I have 3 more days before I run down the list. I get under the car and check for anything loose. Do you think that’s important? Do you buy parts from the stealership or online?

I overlooked the transmission fluid. I’ve been changing the oil and filter every track day, Elsd has been changed per the 1500 mile service. I flushed the brake fluid because I tried to bleed but still had a mushy pedal.
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Junkie View Post
Thanks Track Club! Much appreciated. I snapshot your post and printed it out. Looks like I have 3 more days before I run down the list. I get under the car and check for anything loose. Do you think that’s important? Do you buy parts from the stealership or online?

I overlooked the transmission fluid. I’ve been changing the oil and filter every track day, Elsd has been changed per the 1500 mile service. I flushed the brake fluid because I tried to bleed but still had a mushy pedal.
Suggest you check sway bar end links. They seemed to have been torqued incorrectly on early cars and had a tendency to get loose and clunk. I need to correct my post to indicate both oil and filter (thx for the reminder).
You can easily go with 6-7 day interval for oil and filter.
Another forum member got oil analysis and it looked real well. Cheets!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
1. Not using automated oil monitor for track duty is now omitted and no suggested interval given. NB Previously suggested 4hr interval seems rather excessive imo.

2. Both auto and manual tranny interval is listed as 15 track hrs

As part of break in: oil at 500miles and after 1st track event. elsd at 1500miles and then after 1st track event. Tranny after 1st track event.

Cheers!
1. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't think to compare the different model year manuals to each other. They could have changed the algorithm for 2018+ though. I am only seeing 1-2% oil life reduction after ~80 minutes of track time on my 2017 SS 1LE which doesn't seem like enough.

2. This was also changed from the 2017 manual. 2018 text:

Automatic Transmission Fluid Have the transmission fluid set to the track specific oil level prior to track usage. Transmission fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track usage. Any transmission level set or change should be performed at your dealer.

Manual Transmission Fluid Manual transmission fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track usage.

The third document that recommends the 500 mile first oil change is called "Chevrolet Camaro Track Preparation Guide":

Recommended first oil change First 500 miles (800 km) Change the engine oil after reaching the first
500 miles
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
1. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't think to compare the different model year manuals to each other. They could have changed the algorithm for 2018+ though. I am only seeing 1-2% oil life reduction after ~80 minutes of track time on my 2017 SS 1LE which doesn't seem like enough.

2. This was also changed from the 2017 manual. 2018 text:

Automatic Transmission Fluid Have the transmission fluid set to the track specific oil level prior to track usage. Transmission fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track usage. Any transmission level set or change should be performed at your dealer.

Manual Transmission Fluid Manual transmission fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track usage.

The third document that recommends the 500 mile first oil change is called "Chevrolet Camaro Track Preparation Guide":

Recommended first oil change First 500 miles (800 km) Change the engine oil after reaching the first
500 miles
Well, i created a sticky on Camaro oils and as such ive read all manuals BTW i change oil and filter after 500 miles in all my vehicles regardless what a manual says. It is a cheap insurance to get any crap out.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
BTW i change oil and filter after 500 miles in all my vehicles regardless what a manual says. It is a cheap insurance to get any crap out.
Same here until recently. Our last two new cars got a filter-only change at a few hundred miles and the first full oil & filter change after about 1500. Even the full effort is still at a much shorter interval than what the maintenance books have called for.

Norm
Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Same here until recently. Our last two new cars got a filter-only change at a few hundred miles and the first full oil & filter change after about 1500. Even the full effort is still at a much shorter interval than what the maintenance books have called for.

Norm
+1!