Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Camaro #5

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS (2LT, V6)
My Hyper Blue RS (2LT)

So after a while trying some other vehicles after my last Camaro, I'm back, and it feels great. My dad had a 1st gen Camaro was before I was born and a '79 Z28 when I was. Later, he had a '82 Corvette Collector's Edition. Between that, my love of Knight Rider and Smokey and the Bandit, and my uncle having several different IROC-Zs over time, my love for Chevys and especially Camaros and Firebirds was born.

At some point, I might make a post about the 4 before this one, but in the meantime...

Camaro #5 is a 2016 Hyper Blue RS (2LT, V6). Yep, it's a V6. No, I don't care if you don't like that. Just move along. It's my car, not yours. Personally, I think it's plenty. It brings back feelings and similar performance to my LS1 '98 Z28 that I had as my fourth Camaro, and I'm quite happy with it. I don't go to the track or the drag strip, and this is plenty to have fun with on the street in my opinion. I can afford a SS, but don't feel that I need it or want it.

I specifically looked for a Hyper Blue one because that color looks amazing. I was also hoping to get one that already had white stripes, but found this one that was perfect except the stripes were silver, and I really love it.

All that out of the way, onto the mods! Most will be cosmetic as the performance is fine in my opinion and it brings a smile to my face hearing the exhaust note when I step on it. Pretty happy with it being quiet all other times too.

When I first got it:

Very quickly after, I replaced the trunk light with a LED bulb and the same for the license plate lights. Then I got the harness from Phastek and did the same for my reverse lights. Hard to capture that on camera and you guys have probably seen that before, so I'll skip those pics. I can put some up if requested, though.

Next came the carbon fiber license plate frame, GM black bowties and GM blackout panel.

Then came the GM Dark Finish tail lights and ZL1 1LE third brake light.

While I like the light gray leather seats and the matching door panels, I'm not a fan of light colored carpet, so I found a dark gray carpet set pulled from another 6th gen on eBay and had that swapped in. Here's a before and after, with the original mats that came with the car.

Next, I wanted to augment the small net in the trunk with some more storage that wouldn't take up the whole trunk, so I found some nets on Amazon designed to use Velcro to stick to the sides of the trunk. Also moved a couple of things to under the trunk panel (not pictured).

After that, I got RS floor mats and turned my attention to making the pedals look better. First I got the sport pedal kit, and then I added the dead pedal piece from HartfordRacingCaptain. Before and after:

Then my GM Blade Spoiler finally came in. Replacing the RS spoiler was "fun".

Most recently, I added a Camaro logo to the dash and added the door striker covers (not pictured).

Plans for this weekend are to replace the wireless module to make it actually function with an iPhone and installing the silver ZL1 start button. Also taking it to the Chevy dealer to figure out why the driver's seat makes a lot of noise when moving it (using the power seat functions). Anyone else have that problem? Soon to come, proper detailing. Not sure after that. I'm pretty happy with it at this point and can't think of anything else that I want to do.
Camaro #5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
coruiz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Looking good brother! Glad you got the car YOU wanted.

Color is greatest lol
Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruiz View Post
Looking good brother! Glad you got the car YOU wanted.

Color is greatest lol
Yes it is! Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
great color choice but I may be biased lol

Rear spoiler upgrade looks good!
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
scottc
Central PA Camaro5 Club

Drives: Hot Wheels
Nice job ! I too bought the v6 for the same reasons. I came from a 13 1LE and the 6th gen v6 is a great car. I mainly do car shows and cruises as it’s not my daily driver.
Good luck with your build
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
great color choice but I may be biased lol

Rear spoiler upgrade looks good!
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't want to directly copy the 1LE, but I thought it would look good (and be different than the 1LE) painted, and I think it definitely came out good. Another thing to me is I have wanted a "duck bill" spoiler for a long time, plus it feels like an homage to the 2nd gen and 3rd gen, which I have a fondness for (especially the 3rd gen).
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Nice job ! I too bought the v6 for the same reasons. I came from a 13 1LE and the 6th gen v6 is a great car. I mainly do car shows and cruises as it’s not my daily driver.
Good luck with your build
Thanks! That means a lot. Yeah, I don't guess I mentioned it, but this is my daily driver, which is also why I went with an automatic. I have a long commute and am in a lot of stop and go traffic. Even though some of the roads are pretty bumpy, I still have a lot of fun with this car. It actually makes the commute enjoyable.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #8
Ohji-san

Drives: 2016 2LT RS V6 A8 BVM/Kala NPP
Your car is beautiful I like the silver stripes on the hyper blue. I, too, opted to buy a V6 instead of a SS and haven’t regretted the decision. Plenty of fun to drive for this old timer. Still get compliments and questions. Good idea about the netting. Going to order some on amazon. Thanks. I finally found a phone holder I can live with. The Proclip that you slide onto the console the phone holder with the cable insert at the bottom. Doesn’t obstruct the air to the passenger as much as you would think.
Ohji-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohji-san View Post
Your car is beautiful I like the silver stripes on the hyper blue. I, too, opted to buy a V6 instead of a SS and haven’t regretted the decision. Plenty of fun to drive for this old timer. Still get compliments and questions. Good idea about the netting. Going to order some on amazon. Thanks. I finally found a phone holder I can live with. The Proclip that you slide onto the console the phone holder with the cable insert at the bottom. Doesn’t obstruct the air to the passenger as much as you would think.
Thank you. Yeah, same for me. The V6 doesn't get enough credit. I'm completely content with it. Only thing about the netting is the velcro doesn't hold as strong as I would like, so it tends to come loose as I'm taking stuff out of the netting. Stays up fine the rest of the time though.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
Camaro #5

RS emblem added to steering wheel and silver ZL1 start button installed. Wireless module swapped out also (not pictured).

Old 10-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Congrats on a beautiful car, the color is amazing (2nd best after garnet red, but let's not argue color preferences, heh) and the stripes look great as well. Your upgrades are clearly a labor of love, all done in style and none of them overboard or distasteful.
Enjoy the ride

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Congrats on a beautiful car, the color is amazing (2nd best after garnet red, but let's not argue color preferences, heh) and the stripes look great as well. Your upgrades are clearly a labor of love, all done in style and none of them overboard or distasteful.
Enjoy the ride
Haha, fair enough. Garnet Red is beautiful as well! Thanks! That's exactly what I go for. I figure if someone looks at it that doesn't know what is factory or not and can't tell if it is, then I did a good job (hopefully). I love all the accessories that GM does now. They didn't have near as much good stuff when the 4th gen was new.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #13
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Sweet ride man... was thinking about doing the strips too. Definitely the LE 3 piece spoiler...I'm surprised my wife hasn't taken a golf club to my car yet... stupid toys..
Attached Images

RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 10-13-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
Camaro #5

Thanks. That looks very nice! I especially like the exhaust.