Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Dnfwm

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Are all Brembo 6 piston calipers the same?

Hey guys, hows it going? Well after having my first 3 track days (Friday, Saturday, sunday), I must say I am incredibly pleased with the handling and overall performance of the car. However, the stock brakes sucked the big one. I went out Friday for my first time in the car and 3 laps in (1.2 mile course) the front brakes faded right out heading into turn 1 (thank god for runoff). So I figured I had cooked the fluid. So I flushed the stock fluid and replaced it with RBF660 DOT 4. This seemed to help and I was able to run Saturday and Sunday. What I did notice is the brakes would still get soft and didn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence. I noticed near the end of 5 laps, I really had to push that brake pedal to get this car stopped.

My previous track car was a Lexus ISF with headers, exhaust, Penske coilovers, and upgraded bushings. I ran race fluid and track pads on this car and when you get on the brakes in the Lexus, it feels like its going to throw you through the window. I did not have that experience with the Camaro. The lexus also never faded which was nice.

Anyways, what i'm getting at is the Lexus also has 6 piston front brembo calipers and the rotors are a tad smaller at 14.2". Do you guys think that the ISF calipers and the 1le calipers would have the same design? I would really love to order more of the pads, that I used on my Lexus as I loved them, if they would work in the 1le.
Dnfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Prepare thyself for the wisdom of the elders to be downloaded
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Dnfwm

Lol, I will put on my flame suit now and prepare myself for their flames!

And also not trying to be a cheap ass, but boy oh boy are pads and rotors expensive for this car. I really liked the pad price of the ISF and rotor price was also fantastic. We could buy blanks or even stop tech cross drilled for like a hundred bucks a rotor. I know these are .4 inches bigger and 2 piece, but wow! Talk about sticker shock!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Bleed the whole system with that RBF 600/660, OE pads can handle serious track work. Yeah, not a high friction compound... so a bit more pedal stroke/effort. I run Hawk DTC 60ís because I like the added friction.... but stock pads are plenty capable.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Stock pads need to be bed properly to get best results. There's PDF somewhere from GM with proper technique.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
I have a feeling some dot 3 was left in there somewhere..
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Racin1LE

Drives: 2017 Black SS 1LE
Changed fluid. Ran DTC 60's on TMP and two days on DDT without fade. Run DTC 60 on street, without fade or squeal. Expensive pads.
Racin1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I just did 2 days at Watkins Glen followed by a day at the big track at Mosport in my 1LE a couple of weeks ago. Prior to the events, I did the recommended bed in and flushed the fluid with DOT 4 Castrol SRF. I was braking harder and later into every turn because the brakes kept giving me more and more confidence. Trail braking from 120+ MPH into turn one at the Glen is quite the rush! I wouldn't be doing that if I didn't trust the brakes 100%. Now, I'm only an intermediate driver, so the advanced guys might find them lacking, but at my level, I was super impressed.

What track were you on? You can cook the brakes if there are too few straights to cool them off. The Glen and Mosport have nice long straights.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
Dnfwm

Thanks for all the comments guys. As for the track, it’s one you probably haven’t heard of. Gimli motorsports park in Canada. I have a Honda race car and have been tracking here for a long time. It might be possible that I didn’t get all of the dot 3 out (thought I did lol).

I will keep the hawks in mind for future use. What is everyone doing for rotors for lots of tracking? Just buying blanks, or buying crazy expensive new rings?

Also this is the link for a session of the track I run at.

https://youtu.be/dPVM0wdMA2k
Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Hmm, I will tell you that if you do not bed in the stock pads real well, you will not get the best out of them.

I ran into this the last track day I did (and first with the 1LE). I only did about half as many bed-in sequences as I should have before heading out on track and was a touch out of confidence with the brakes at first. So, I took it kind of easy my first session. On my second session the brakes came alive and had zero issues and a lot of confidence running in very hot, humid weather. My setup was stock pads, Castrol SRF, SS track deflectors and stock shields.

I will say, even when bed in, the pads are about "medium" in grab, and pretty good in modulation. If they had a bit more grab to them, they'd be a fantastic track/street pad. But, they work and I can see where the additional bite that could be added would add some street manners that many people would not want to deal with... I mean, even the SS 4-pot pads get complaints of noise and dust, so...

I'm happy with GM's choice and will run them for a while and then try something else a touch stronger.

Looking at your video, it seems that you aren't over-using the brakes - you seem to be getting on them hard, and then off them when appropriate. But, I will say, from look at the frequency of you braking and the layout of the course, there is a lot of short straights, which can sometimes cause problems with brakes cooling down. I haven't had my car on the local "short track" (Waterford) but I plan to very soon. I know, from the past in other cars, that the track can load up brakes with heat; however, I ran my '16 SS there on stock pads (4-pot setup), RBF 600 and the track deflectors and shields without any issues.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
To answer your question Brembo makes a variety of 6 piston calipers. Brake pad manufacturers make a variety of brake pads to fit the calipers.

The first thing to do is ask what balance do you want street and track or if your happy with the extra work of swapping pads for each track day. Ferrodo makes the stock pad, they make a couple of different street/HPDE type pads that are good on the street and adequate on the track to a point. Sounds to me like you exceed that point. Ideal in my view is to swap back and forth which is simple with Brembo's. Personally I put track pads on and just left them on for street driving in my last track car. Squeaks like crazy but doesn't bother me. I will likely do that with the Camaro.

Second thing to do is replace all your brake fluid with Castrol SRF. Its expensive but the best generally available brake fluid period.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
To answer your question Brembo makes a variety of 6 piston calipers. Brake pad manufacturers make a variety of brake pads to fit the calipers.

The first thing to do is ask what balance do you want street and track or if your happy with the extra work of swapping pads for each track day. Ferrodo makes the stock pad, they make a couple of different street/HPDE type pads that are good on the street and adequate on the track to a point. Sounds to me like you exceed that point. Ideal in my view is to swap back and forth which is simple with Brembo's. Personally I put track pads on and just left them on for street driving in my last track car. Squeaks like crazy but doesn't bother me. I will likely do that with the Camaro.

Second thing to do is replace all your brake fluid with Castrol SRF. Its expensive but the best generally available brake fluid period.
He didnít reach the stock pads capability, I promise that. Iíve run stock pads at NCM and Putnam, on street tires and slicks... never any fade. Fresh RBF 600/660 is fine, no need to purchase SRF until youíve burned through the RBF. Iíd guess with a good bleed, youíll be golden.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
He didnít reach the stock pads capability, I promise that. Iíve run stock pads at NCM and Putnam, on street tires and slicks... never any fade. Fresh RBF 600/660 is fine, no need to purchase SRF until youíve burned through the RBF. Iíd guess with a good bleed, youíll be golden.
I guess it depends what you are trying to accomplish on the track. If its kicks and giggles sure the stock Ferrodos are fine. But they are comprise pads on a really heavy car. I can never understand why people compromise on simple things like brake fluid and track pads if they are serious about running quick on a track.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
I guess it depends what you are trying to accomplish on the track. If its kicks and giggles sure the stock Ferrodos are fine. But they are comprise pads on a really heavy car. I can never understand why people compromise on simple things like brake fluid and track pads if they are serious about running quick on a track.
Different car, but sub 2:00 min @ VIR, and 1:34's club @ Mid Ohio, 2:12 at NCM on OE ZL1 pads (same compound as SS 1LE). Agreed on any street pad having comprimise built it, just like any DOT Tire. That doesn't mean you can't run VERY "quick on a track". Oh, and you can get a whole set of ZL1 OE pads for less than $300 (front and rear).