Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Adding a catch can to the 2.0T

Wanting to add a catch can to my 2.0t as it's DI, but I've never dealt with adding one to a boosted car before so I reached out to Elite Engineering, here was their very informative email response to my questions:

Quote:
Yes, the 2.0T (you have the 2016 so yours has the updated beefier pistons) uses only the turbo inlet for evacuation suction. If you look, the turbo has a cast in circuit to utilize turbo inlet suction standard. There is a steel pipe coming from the unit to the dirty side of the PCV system. The issue is it only evacuates when in boost as it does not utilize the intake manifold vacuum for non-boost evacuation. This creates a condition similar to the Ford Ecoboost 3.5 and 2.7L twin turbo's where lack of proper crankcase evacuation allows excessive amounts of water/unburnt fuel, etc. to accumulate in the crankcase contaminating the engine oil. Once this accumulation reaches a certain level of saturation, this is "burped" backwards into the turbo air charge assy (main intake air assy) where it is pushed into the intercooler condensing and accumulating there. Once THAT accumulates (a sludge of water/unburnt fuel/oil/sulfuric acid, etc.) to a large enough accumulation when sudden boost is built this is pushed into the combustion chamber and a partial hydro-lock occurs. The most common result is a slightly bent rod in that cylinder and most times this is not noticed. If enough is ingested it breaks the piston at the top ring land (Google search ATS 2.0T piston engine failure). The GM 2.0T is not as problematic as the Ford ecoboost which only uses intake manifold vacuum for evacuation and nothing during boost, but as the 2.0T only uses turbo inlet suction there are still long periods of stagnation and pressure building in the crankcase.

The goal is to constantly remove the combustion by-products and contaminants from the crankcase as soon as they enter, and and are still in a suspended state. That brings the E2-X system with cleanside separator (CSS) with duel outlets and dual billet checkvalves into play here. I have attached some pictures and a diagram to show the proper routing.

One thing to be aware of, there are baffles under the cam cover that can cause a "whistle" now that the PCV system is evacuating at idle using intake manifold vacuum (one pic shows where to cut the EVAP line to add a T for using vacuum for non boost evac) and to prevent this, you can remove the cam/valve cover and gut the baffle screen.

When completed, the system uses the intake manifold for evacuation while in non-boost running, and the turbo inlet when in boost. The checkvalves are a low cracking and positive closing design that is oil/fuel resistant. They will open and close as needed to always default to the strongest suction source and the crankcase will always be evacuating no matter the operating mode. The cleanside will trap any oil that may attempt to back flow during the brief periods when the valves are switching and that gives a complete system addressing all aspects of the system. This eliminates the accumulation issues that cause hydrolock as well as keeping the engine oil clean far longer as well as eliminating detonation causing oil mist ingestion.

This system will also come with a special PCV orifice restrictor to control the flow of the PCV system. This installs inline in the inlet line.
I found all of this info to be pretty informative, so I thought I would share. I have uploaded the pictures they also sent with the email below.

Note the above bold text in RED... They claim that the 2016 has beefier pistons than the previous LTG engines. I don't know if this is Camaro specific, but hopefully if this is true, we won't be seeing any piston problems like the ATS crowd has in the past.

I have sent them a follow up email asking how to go about ordering as they do not currently list an E2-X kit on their website for the 2.0T Camaro, or the ATS. I plan on ordering and installing very soon.
Attached Images

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Be careful GM will pull your powertrain warranty.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Be careful GM will pull your powertrain warranty.
We'll see... They'll have a lot better reasons to cancel my warranty by the time I'm done messing with the engine anyway

I hope to be able to mount the can fairly hidden so the dealer or anyone may not notice it for easy service like oil changes. With any luck it won't be out in plain sight to be seen in pictures that get sent to GM if the engine blows up... Worst case scenario I'll just take it off before going in... We'll see what happens in the future.

It seems to me they would have done something have the PCV issues after all these years. When a guy can drain multiple ounces of a catch can between oil changes, that tells me there is something wrong.

Anyway, Elite Engineering has just added the new dual valve CC kit for the GM 2.0 engines to the E2-X ordering page. The part number is E2X-A1DVP11. I just ordered mine.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Cool, but is it me or is the pic say RX on it?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Cool, but is it me or is the pic say RX on it?
I thought that was funny myself. It says RX on the clean side separator in the diagram picture, and if you look close on the first picture of the actual can it has an RX sticker...

I've figured Elite was getting their clean side separators from RX for a while, but seeing the can with the RX sticker on it was interesting... Perhaps they are generic pictures taken from someone elses install of an RX can on a 2.0T?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Here is the funny part i have one not 10 ft from where we work.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

This is the can I bought from Elite today, the E2-X:

They also offer a bigger can for "extreme builds", the E2-Ultra

Funny, I decided to see what RX was upto and I see the new "Tracy Lewis" catch can looks like a dead ringer for the E2-Ultra

I'm betting either the same place makes them all for both and they just put different names on them, or perhaps elite gets their cans from RX. I'm suspected they've been in bed together for quite a while based on the clean side separator. I'd say that perhaps elite is a front for RX, but elite is in CO and rx is an FL

It is interesting, but really doesn't matter as long as the stuff works.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Still waiting on the can to ship... Ordered last Thursday, shipping label created last Friday, but tracking shows it hasn't even shipped yet... *sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Can finally showed up. Haven't had a chance to install yet because of rain.

I hope to see some good results. I'm already seeing lots of oil everywhere when I pull something off.. Oil on the TB, oil in the intake tube, oil in the turbo inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #10
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Very cool. Really nice quality. Has anyone have access to the GM maintenance manual for the 2.0? Like to get schematic diagram for the turbo inter-cooler setup.
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Thanks for posting... I'm going through some of those threads, especially the whistle fix, what's this about a lean code check engine light being thrown after a catch can install?

I still haven't installed my can as I've still been researching things...

And as for the whistle... I see they are(were, seems you can't get the part anymore?) jetting down one of the lines? I saw your picture, it looks like maybe the end of the check valves is supposed to be jetted down? I'll have to check mine and see what they look like.

Elite Eng. told me that the whistle was due to a baffle in the valve cover, and that I would have to take the valve cover off and cut out the baffle to make it stop.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Jason@JacFab

That is interesting...

I checked my parts box to see what Elite had sent me, and I do see a barbed straight fitting that has a smaller hole in it, I'm guessing it's a restrictor... They didn't put any instructions in the box, and I only have the picture diagram in the first post.

I'm guessing this restrictor must go on the clean side then?

Looks like you basically replicated the clean side separator in the oil cap, without the can part.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
what's this about a lean code check engine light being thrown after a catch can install?
I had that happen on my LLT when I forgot to close the drain valve of the catch can.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Feefsmaro93

Drives: 2016 white 1ss A8
So all u did was use the cap to vent back into the fresh air and left the two check valves alone to stop the whistle?
Feefsmaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote