Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Fenriel

Drives: 96 t/a / Hyper Blue 1SS MRC M6
How much boost...

After searching couldn't seem to find the answer to this question. I was just curious to know how much boost is the LT1 able to handle reliably (before adding methanol, fuel etc..) Also how long? Any one seen any threads about c7's being boosted long term? any issues? Just curious.

Fenriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
You'll hit a bottleneck with fuel delivery before you approach the limits of the LT1.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenriel View Post
After searching couldn't seem to find the answer to this question. I was just curious to know how much boost is the LT1 able to handle reliably (before adding methanol, fuel etc..) Also how long? Any one seen any threads about c7's being boosted long term? any issues? Just curious.

I think the motor is too new to really say outright how much boost it can take. And this has been discussed in other posts on other forums but boost really isn't as meaningful a number as horsepower. Boost is more a measure of restriction, you can make 600 whp with a stock cam, exhaust and heads and show 10 pounds of boost or you can turn the blower at the exact same rpm, open up the cam, heads and exhaust and make 620 whp on 7 pounds of boost.

After all that, Florida Speed and power made 1291 whp on 26 pounds of boost using a Procharger F1X. Motor was completely built. As pointed out by Lesbaer, they had a problem getting more fuel into the engine.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...injection.html

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Fenriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I think the motor is too new to really say outright how much boost it can take. And this has been discussed in other posts on other forums but boost really isn't as meaningful a number as horsepower. Boost is more a measure of restriction, you can make 600 whp with a stock cam, exhaust and heads and show 10 pounds of boost or you can turn the blower at the exact same rpm, open up the cam, heads and exhaust and make 620 whp on 7 pounds of boost.

After all that, Florida Speed and power made 1291 whp on 26 pounds of boost using a Procharger F1X. Motor was completely built. As pointed out by Lesbaer, they had a problem getting more fuel into the engine.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...injection.html
Understood. How about long term use? I know you say these motors are pretty new, which they are, but any info on how long these engines last with some of the kits these manufacturers are putting out there? The motor has been out for about 2 years there has to be some info right?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Fenriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
Not if you use meth injection.

There are literally hundreds of 100% stock LT1's making 700+rwhp with a ECS blower tuned with meth+93 octane for the street.
I think he just meant that you will run into issues with fuel where you would have to do something like meth injection, before the bottom end went out.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
I think he just meant that you will run into issues with fuel where you would have to do something like meth injection, before the bottom end went out.
Yup...that's all I meant. Thanks
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

Drives: 1970 Vette,16 1SS, 07 Ford Taurus
If you have a no forced induction car and then add a blower or turbo and are running above the stock boost levels I would add meth injection every time especially with the direct injection the Camaros have. Its a no brainer and not that expensive. When and if I add a supercharger or twin turbo setup I will definitely be adding methanol injection. I can't think of a good reason not to add it actually.
70454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Understood. How about long term use? I know you say these motors are pretty new, which they are, but any info on how long these engines last with some of the kits these manufacturers are putting out there? The motor has been out for about 2 years there has to be some info right?
This is a loaded question. I will say that I'm pretty confident that when GM switched from LS to LT motors and decided to direct inject the motor and make more stock horsepower they did not downgrade the bearings crankshafts and rods in the LT motors. I expect the shortblock of this new motor is every bit as stout as the previous engines. But having said this, I have been on the forum boards and seen what I would call an overall increase it catastrophic engine failures in the early transition from LS to LT. There are several examples of owners posting stories of failures. I currently am thinking this is more related to isolated quality issues rater than an overall inferior design.

I will say that the tuners seem to be working a lot harder to make big power with these new LT motors. With the LS motors every shop out there was kicking out 750+ whp builds left and right over the last few years. The 750+ whp build is currently pretty rare on a LT motor. I think 700 to 800 whp should be pretty safe once everyone figures out how to fine tune the LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70454 View Post
If you have a no forced induction car and then add a blower or turbo and are running above the stock boost levels I would add meth injection every time especially with the direct injection the Camaros have. Its a no brainer and not that expensive. When and if I add a supercharger or twin turbo setup I will definitely be adding methanol injection. I can't think of a good reason not to add it actually.
The biggest reason not to add methanol is the added complexity. The LT4 runs forced induction without methanol so clearly it is not absolutely necessary. Another reason is if you spray it in front of a PD supercharger the methanol will degrade the factory coating on the supercharger rotors.

But having said all of this I'm not totally against methanol. There are clearly a lot of advantages to running it. I have been told that my '16 SS will have a meth injection system the next time I see it. I had a meth system on my ZL1 for a while....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
BadBillyJack

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Not if you use meth injection.

There are literally hundreds of 100% stock LT1's making 700+rwhp with a ECS blower tuned with meth+93 octane for the street.
Hundreds guys... with that exact setup. Literally.

where are you finding these cars?

Quote:
The fact remains, the Camaro designers have another fail in not transferring the clothes hanger from the ATS to the Camaro.
I, and every other Camaro owner that hangs clothes in their cars, need a solution.
BadBillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
Hundreds guys... with that exact setup. Literally.

where are you finding these cars?
I lol'd

If this forum had a "like" button you would have got one there.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
I think we're already there. ECS has been pumping out 700+rwhp stock LT1's for at least 2 years. I think 700rwhp with a blower, headers, and meth is the sweet spot for reliability, simplicity, cost, traction, etc, etc.
Postive displacement blowers should NOT even be a consideration in the aftermarket.
If you are not a C7 corvette owner you probably are not familiar with what the forced induction aftermarket went through after the LT1 was first released in the corvette. The intake and head spacing is different in LT than the LS motors so none of the previous PD superchargers would fit. That means the aftermarket had to come up with new castings and even if your manufacturing is very fast you are talking several months before you even have something that will bolt onto the new engine. The next problem with the Stingray is the stock hood height is very low... so there really is no room for most of the superchargers without a hood replacement or cut out and a lot of owners don't like to go that far. There really is not room for a set of twin turbos without some major cutting. A single turbo could fit under the hood but would need some major plumbing and heat wrap....really not feasible for most. The only forced induction option that is easy on the C7 is the centri supercharger. There really are hundreds of C7 corvettes around the country running centrifugal superchargers because until very recently if you wanted a significant power increase in the LT1 it was the only game in town. As much as I would have loved to have more power in my C7, I never did do anything to the motor because my car could not do a 30 minute track session without overheating the transmission. Plus it was my daily driver so I didn't want to get too crazy.

Enter the '16 Camaro with the LT1. We are just now seeing the first turbo kits tested by Redline (thread on this board) and AGP turbo is making a turbo kit for the '16 Camaro but the details are not available yet. Many companies have come out with PD superchargers but the power numbers so far have been around 500-600 whp. I personally think the PD supercharger is the best option for a street driven car. They are the most reliable and have the most power/torque at low engine rpms where modern cars are cruising to conserve fuel.... and the base ECS kit is right around 600 whp in the stingray. Yes there are bigger centri builds out there like I noted in my first post but they are not as common. Here is a link for base kit:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...k-vehicle.html

Old 04-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Centri blowers do NOT make the same low end torque a PD Blower makes. Not even close. I'm not going to get into which is better but I felt inclined to correct in this situation.

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
WRONG.

Reread my post.
Look at a dyno overlay of a PD blower vs. a ECS Centri with a boost restrictor plate.
Then, please post your apology.

Thank you.

Along with the PD blowers that you sell, what centrifugal systems do you also sell to your customers ????

Don't feel like doing other people's research for them, but here's a start:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ercharger.html
Show me the graphs. I'm looking at one now. Centri didn't make the same torque until 5300 RPM. I am not arguing, just pointing out the simple truth. Both systems are excellent but to lead one to believe they make the same low end torque just isn't correct....

We offer ECS and ProCharger Kits
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
I have an ECS C7 with Meth.

First off, no one really knows how they compare on a dyno at low RPM because most dyno's start at around 3000rpm.

I would not put a PD blower on a Corvette or Camaro unless I only wanted around 500-550 hp and similar torque to the wheels. Low end torque sounds great and is great with traction, without it the car is a pain to drive.

WOT there may not be much performance difference but part throttle driving around the PD will probably be more enjoyable because even at light throttle it does make way more torque.

it is also the reason the gas mile sucks. Our other 2 cars have PD style blowers and for small 3l V6's, both around 420hp, the mileage is abysmal.

I would have went with a PD blower but not with the tiny tires on the C7. I think the Camaro will take a much larger tire without forged wheels and a bunch of fitment drama like there is on C7 but even then unless you have a drag radial your driving around on the traction will not be there.

A Centri blower you get a better mix. At WOT performance is similar, you can make way more power without fighting heat, and the gas mile hit is not bad.

I don't take the gas mileage thing as a decision maker, I don't drive the car to make X MPG, I drive the car to enjoy it and is a poor argument overall in comparing the two.

Now add in the price difference and there is a huge difference.

A PD blower on a C7 is going to hit you for around 10K all said and done.

My ECS kit was $4,800, install with tune was $1,300, and a meth kit later on was $1,200 installed and retuned.

$7,300 installed and tuned for 645RWHP and if I remember right 585rwtq. No where near as much torque but much better overall drivability from a traction standpoint.

The safe limit for a stock LT1 is a bit more than I am pushing but I wanted it safe so I do not have headers and I'm right at the traction limit most of the time as it is.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote