Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #43
Nrfd79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I put Nitto Invo's on the ZLE and though it hasn't been tracked with them. I've been very happy with the grip and the ride on the street. Haven't noticed any road noise with them either. I'll definitely use them again.
Nrfd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #44
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
You want it to last >2 years. Well that drastically depends on the mileage you do per year. If it's 5000 miles a year, then either the PS4S or Conti ECS will have no problems, if it's 15000 miles a year, then I'm not sure you're going to find something that will last that long. You could go with an all-season, but I'm not so sure they'll last much longer than a quality summer tire in a car with 450 hp.

You bought a high power performance car, you're going to have to pay to play. Tires are just going to be one of those costs you can't get around.
Yeah, I've come to that conclusion. I do drive about 15k a year, so it is what it is.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #45
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
You're gonna need a tire budget with these cars
Ha ha--true. My wife said, "You need to think about that the next time you choose a car."
Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #46
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
There's a significant decrease in tire life using the stock runflats (and most runflats) when compared to non-runflat tires though.

Nobody gets a car with 20" tires that are over 9" wide and thinks the tires are going to be cheap. But it's not unreasonable to have the assumption that the tires wont be bald after 2 years if you're not burning out in them. Normal (boring) driving should get you 40k miles at least before having to replace tires. That's simply not the case with the stock runflats.

Spend the money and get the AS3's. You wont be disappointed. They'll perform better, be quieter, and last massively longer doing the same kind of driving as the runflats.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #47
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I think the biggest thing you're missing is the ability to rotate. All the warranties for the tires state the warranty is halved if the tire sizes are different front to rear.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #48
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Spend the money and get the AS3's. You wont be disappointed. They'll perform better, be quieter, and last massively longer doing the same kind of driving as the runflats.
I'm leery of not getting run-flats, I guess. I realize there are kits you can get to reinflate a flat tire, but I don't know how well they work.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #49
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I think the biggest thing you're missing is the ability to rotate. All the warranties for the tires state the warranty is halved if the tire sizes are different front to rear.
Yep another BS call by the MFGs we have to live with. Especially since you can go left to right. So it is not a real rotation but still moving them. If the wear is even they should honor. But i am at their mercy.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #50
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I’ll throw in a plug for Nitto 555g2 as a decent compromise. They are (comparatively) low cost, have somewhere around 80% of the grip of the OEM super cars, and are night and day difference in ride quality, control in rain, and tire wear (so far for me at 5k miles - Nittos still look new while OEM’s at 5k looked about half gone.)
However you will need at a minimum to carry a plug kit and compressor, cause they aren’t run flats. Which you will probably run into with your criteria anyway.
I have these right now, and am probably not buying them again.
Dry traction is okay, wet roads after 5k miles can feel like ice.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #51
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
I'm leery of not getting run-flats, I guess. I realize there are kits you can get to reinflate a flat tire, but I don't know how well they work.
Run flats are HEAVY and expensive, there's lots of options of thing you can carry in the trunk and they work fine, this isn't new stuff. Also I learned after owning a vette, carry the business card of your favorite tow truck company, I hit a piece of steel on the highway and it ripped my oil pan open.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #52
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The money you save by not using runflats can easily cover whatever tow truck cost that isn't covered by your insurance and whatever tps damage you may cause due to using fix-a-flat if you go that route.

It's literally over 500+ dollars saved by getting the AS3 over runflats over the course of the AS3 lifespan. You basically double the lifespan of runflats. If you're doing more than 500 dollars worth of flats in the same period, then maybe it's time to move.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #53
GM Lifer

Appreciate all the advice. I weighed all of it, and believe it not, I got another set of the OEM tires. I'd forgotten how great the car feels on new tires.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #54
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Yep another BS call by the MFGs we have to live with. Especially since you can go left to right. So it is not a real rotation but still moving them. If the wear is even they should honor. But i am at their mercy.
They're still on the driven axle.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #55
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Appreciate all the advice. I weighed all of it, and believe it not, I got another set of the OEM tires. I'd forgotten how great the car feels on new tires.
*flips table
Old 05-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #56
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
They're still on the driven axle.
Not disagreeing with you. Just think it is BS.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote