Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Be lucky you don't have 1le tires.
Just did $1300 worth of tires at 5k miles. Yes you read it correct. PS4 on my next go but I did stock eagle f1 supercar 3 again
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Want longer life out of your car tires. Move north in snow country and you either park your car in storage for 4-5 months or buy snow tires.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree with that Coded4SS! I did the same with my ZL1 back in April. The Michelins were $200 to $300 more than the GY supercar3s and were backordered so I went with the GYs which I could get cheaper and available.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Okay, lets start a tire argument. I've stayed with the OEM Goodyears, but I'm getting tired of buying tires and would like something that looks good, handles well . . . but which I don't have to replace every two years.
How many miles is that? I suspect that cost per mile is at least as important as cost per unit time (and arguably a more useful metric especially right now).

How hard do you use your car (meaning its tires)? Up to at least 300 treadwear you ought to be able to get 10,000 miles/100 treadwear with alignment settings and tire pressures best suited to your driving.

I think people need to buy as much tire performance as they can reasonably afford, with price and all other factors becoming tie-breakers for choosing among the tires that "made the cut". It only takes one incident over the life of a set of tires where it looks like the poo is about to hit the fan to either be confident in your tire decision or realize that it's too late to be wishing you'd chosen differently.

Norm
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
There are several options for high performance all-season tires. All of them will outlast summer tires and are more than adequate for aggressive driving on public roads and are safer in the rain.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
There are several options for high performance all-season tires. All of them will outlast summer tires and are more than adequate for aggressive driving on public roads
This much is true.

Quote:
and are safer in the rain.
But this part is certainly questionable, provided that temperatures are warm enough to be driving on summer performance tires in the first place (guessing 45°F or higher). Michelin's Pilot Super Sport is still one of the best choices for wet track day sessions (up to and including downpour-level rain), and the PS4S is supposedly even better.

Norm
Old 05-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #21
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Since someone mentioned that the Conti Extreme Contacts were comparable to the Michelins, I will add that I was extremely impressed with the Conti EC's, though they weren't on my SS. As a guy who doesn't track my car, and push it to the limit as many of you do, I didn't wanna blow any Continental fanboy smoke, however....I believe them to be really good. For what it's worth, I'll be putting them on the SS when it needs tires.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Agree with that Coded4SS! I did the same with my ZL1 back in April. The Michelins were $200 to $300 more than the GY supercar3s and were backordered so I went with the GYs which I could get cheaper and available.
The pain is real bro lol
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
This much is true.

But this part is certainly questionable, provided that temperatures are warm enough to be driving on summer performance tires in the first place (guessing 45°F or higher). Michelin's Pilot Super Sport is still one of the best choices for wet track day sessions (up to and including downpour-level rain), and the PS4S is supposedly even better.

Norm
To you point...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...SS#testResults

Fantastic 3 season tires in the rain.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #24
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
The number one thing outside of the tire is to go with a square setup that you can rotate, and rotate often, and then a solid alignment. Those two things will do more for tire life, overall.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I liked these tires on my 2017 4cyl Turbo Mustang (lightly modified) but they would scare the hell out of me on my 2020 SS. They could barley keep traction with my 350/420, no way they stand up to the 455/455. But you have them on your Camaro and I do not so, your opinion counts more
The AS3's were already on the rear when I got the car. There was one GY Asymetric and one Bridgestone of the front. Had to replace the GY due to sidewall damage. I was going to go Ps4 all around, but it was a matter of time and getting them. They had the AS3's in stock for the front so I went that way.

My plan all along was to go with a wider wheel anyway, so it works out okay. My car is DD and I don't really push it to the max anyway. My point is that the AS3 seems like a good tire for this purpose. No, I wouldn't take them to the track or auto-x with them.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #26
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
hey guys, i want way more power for very little investment. it can’t void the factory warranty or use any parts not made in america from the best materials. oh, also, it must be installed by a professional high performance speed shop because i don’t want to get my hands dirty. and they must pick up the car, leave me a loaner and drop off the finished product in less than 1 business day.

any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #27
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I will say from experience the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the gold standard period. Expensive, yes, but perform as well as anything out there overall and outlast all of them. I got 28,000 miles out of my first set and did two HPDE weekends on them. I'm at novice level, may have something to do with that, but I truly did push the car.
I'm starting to lean this way. They're pricey for sure, but if they'll last a little longer, I'm in. I probably drive 15,000 miles a year, totally commuting. No track days, but I do enjoy the car.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #28
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and the Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec for winter if needed. Both expensive choices, but long lasting and best performance in class.
Is the Pilot Sport 4S a run-flat?
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote