Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Help Me Upgrade My Basic Radio

Requirements:
  1. Apple CarPlay
  2. Retain steering wheel controls
  3. Retain awesome retro knobs, including heated seats
  4. Use OEM USB port
  5. Retain XM capability

Installation Kit: PAC Audio (RPK5-GM4101)
I like this kit for its style, but I understand that it's not quite plug-and-play. I also know that 7-inch screens and DVD features don't work well. Fortunately, I don't care how big the screen is, and I specifically don't want moving parts, including CD or DVD. I do, however, think that the sunken screen look is unusual.

Radio: your choice!
I just want it to have Apple CarPlay to better take advantage of Siri and to better integrate with my phone for contacts, music, and directions. Since I'm an Apple user on multiple devices, this is a logical move for me. I also find the Bluetooth menus on the car to be infuriating. The radio must be able to take advantage of the OEM XM antenna.

Other Parts: what else do I need?
Am I missing anything?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
An XM tuner if you will use that. I would read through the entire thread that’s after this one to decide which HU to go with. I went with the Kenwood DDX9903S, and I dig it, but it does have moving parts. Great choice on the PAC kit. The standard 6.95” screen works just fine with the kit and it is very plug-n-play IMO. The steering wheel controls and DVD all work perfectly in my machine. Also, I deleted the center dash speaker, and used that opening for the XM tuner and the microphone. Works great and keeps them easily hidden.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
An XM tuner if you will use that. I would read through the entire thread that’s after this one to decide which HU to go with. I went with the Kenwood DDX9903S, and I dig it, but it does have moving parts. Great choice on the PAC kit. The standard 6.95” screen works just fine with the kit and it is very plug-n-play IMO. The steering wheel controls and DVD all work perfectly in my machine. Also, I deleted the center dash speaker, and used that opening for the XM tuner and the microphone. Works great and keeps them easily hidden.
I'm going to do my radio install as soon as it gets warmer and I don't want to run the microphone up the door sill. Where exactly did you put the mic and do you have a pic of how it looks? I'm going to do the XM tuner too and it looks pretty tight back there to stuff it all in.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
The XM app is now compatible with Apple Car Play. That would save you some extra connections.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I'm going to do my radio install as soon as it gets warmer and I don't want to run the microphone up the door sill. Where exactly did you put the mic and do you have a pic of how it looks? I'm going to do the XM tuner too and it looks pretty tight back there to stuff it all in.
I pulled out the center speaker from the dash. Just pop off the grill, unscrew the speaker, cut the wires, and you have a nice little space for your microphone and XM receiver. Throw the grill back on and your done.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
InfernoOrangeLS36Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Requirements:
  1. Apple CarPlay
  2. Retain steering wheel controls
  3. Retain awesome retro knobs, including heated seats
  4. Use OEM USB port
  5. Retain XM capability
Installation Kit: PAC Audio (RPK5-GM4101)
I like this kit for its style, but I understand that it's not quite plug-and-play. I also know that 7-inch screens and DVD features don't work well. Fortunately, I don't care how big the screen is, and I specifically don't want moving parts, including CD or DVD. I do, however, think that the sunken screen look is unusual.

Radio: your choice!
I just want it to have Apple CarPlay to better take advantage of Siri and to better integrate with my phone for contacts, music, and directions. Since I'm an Apple user on multiple devices, this is a logical move for me. I also find the Bluetooth menus on the car to be infuriating. The radio must be able to take advantage of the OEM XM antenna.

Other Parts: what else do I need?
Am I missing anything?
I just had the PAC-5 Dash kit installed in my 2010, I had the same ideas that you mentioned, Apple Car Play, Navigation from my iPhone, text, CD, Sirius/XM...
I went with with a Sony XAV-AX200. I also added a backup camera, I had the unit installed at Best Buy, I have a friend who is in the Installation Shop...and I didn't want to mess with it.
The radio is a little "sunken" but that's the only complaint I have... The sound is Awesome... in addition to the Boston Acoustics already in the car...
It retains all the factory controls.. the only quirk I noted right away is the blinker/flasher noise is different.... I got used to it already.. I have no use for the remote!!
The stock XM antenna works fine, they did have issues connecting the USB, so I do have a new one of them, but it's in the center console where the stock one is, so no issues for me....
This was the first PAC-5 install for that shop, they normally use the Scoche, I didn't like the look of that one...
Hope you enjoy the new system!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
looking to do the same
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
I pulled out the center speaker from the dash. Just pop off the grill, unscrew the speaker, cut the wires, and you have a nice little space for your microphone and XM receiver. Throw the grill back on and your done.
I ended up just running it up the A pillar as usual. I may redo it and put it where you did just because I think it will look better hidden. I put the XM receiver in the glove box.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote