Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
JBL GX600C

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has this set up and or has an opinion on it.

Its a component car speaker system including the door speakers, tweeters and crossovers.

Mostly wondering if these will be a noticeable improvement over stock system without touching my rear speakers or amp.

Best buy just quoted me $275 out the door including installation which sounds like a decent deal.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about car stereo and just want something louder and crisper than what the stock system offers. Bass isn't really something super important to me overall.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

Its a component car speaker system including the door speakers, tweeters and crossovers.

Mostly wondering if these will be a noticeable improvement over stock system without touching my rear speakers or amp.

Best buy just quoted me $275 out the door including installation which sounds like a decent deal.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about car stereo and just want something louder and crisper than what the stock system offers. Bass isn't really something super important to me overall.
Give me that quote. i work in bestbuy. ill verify if it is or not
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The gx600c are like $80 a set on amazon.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
sspade

I know. I priced matched... don't believe they will install audio that you don't but at the store though. Best Buy had very limited component sets in stock (mostly carried coaxial) and these were "the best" that they had according to sales associate. Made by Harman Kardon.

This was the quote (rounded amounts):

$130 - speakers
$100 - install
$16 - mounting
$9 - harness
$5 - shop supplies

Really, what I want to know - is what I asked in my first post.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
sspade

Oh yeah... they also offered sound deadening material ($25 + $25 install). I opted against it and the sales associate said he has never sold it to anyone but had to ask.

Is there any benefit to buying this and having it installed? I don't want to deal with any rattling etc.

What are your opinions? For $50 Id do it - if it was truly worth it but I honestly don't know if its necessary or just a waste of money. Opinions?
Old 05-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
$130 - speakers ( price match online )
$100 - install ( Correct pricing )
$16 - mounting ( unless this is mounting rings for speakers its not a normal charge )
$9 - harness ( Correct )
$5 - shop supplies ( Correct )

DO NOT let them charge you any more.
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Im curious, will this set up improve OP's performance without touching back speakers/amp
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
$130 - speakers ( price match online )
$100 - install ( Correct pricing )
$16 - mounting ( unless this is mounting rings for speakers its not a normal charge )
$9 - harness ( Correct )
$5 - shop supplies ( Correct )

DO NOT let them charge you any more.
You price matched with who precisely?

$16 is for the required METRA mounting bracket, I'm surprised it's this low however there is no such thing as a harness for the front speakers so maybe 2 B.S. charges equals 1 legit charge.

The $5 shop supplies is pure snake oil. Potentially 6" of electrical tape and arguably a couple of screws, maybe. All of which should be covered by the $100 installation charge.

$100 install charge - Legit, front door speakers take 2 labor hours

$130 for speakers = highway robbery. Newegg sells them for $80 and I know for a fact Best Buy price matches Newegg. "Price matched at 130"? lol what crap. If this Best Buy store doesn't know how to price match Newegg, have them call the corporate office, or do it yourself and file a complaint against the store (doubt it will go that far).

I'd offer then $200 + Tax or do the work yourself ($80 speakers, $100 installation, $20 "miscellaneous"). Front speakers in the Camaro are ridiculously easy, like changing your socks, videos and DIY walk through more than available from numerous places.

I HIGHLY recommend you buy the Speakers and Metra door kit on your own, especially if your state pays no Tax on internet purchases. Then simply offer Best Buy $100 for install or do the work yourself.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:

Without a new 4 channel amplifier to go with it, not really. Aftermarket amps don't work with the rear OEM 6x9's so now you're replacing those as well. The JBL (HKs) are a nice entry level and coupled with their 6x9 counterpart (GX963), with a mid-high quality amplifier, you will notice 4x the clarity at a reasonable price. There is simply no such thing as cheap audio upgrade, no different as asking for a cheap path to 500 RWHP, it doesn't exist. Spend the $1,000 and don't think twice about it.

The Sony XM-GS4 recently won first place in a blind amp shootout review testing entry level amplifiers in a SQ peer group I'm in. Beating out the Alpine PDX-F4, Helix, JL audio and even Zapco ST series. None of this probably means much to you but basically, the Sony XM GS4 is the best money can by at this price level right now.

Equipment:
JBL GX600C; $80, Newegg
JBL GX963; $80, Newegg
Sony XM-GS4; $250, Crutchfield
Installation for above; $100 x 3

Miscellaneous:
Fark Harness; $130
RCAs; $50
AMP Kit: $60
Metra front speaker adaptor: $15
Metra rear speaker adaptors: $35

Best Buy may or may not change some of the miscellaneous charges or nickel and dime you $5 here and there, but don't pay more than $1,000 + tax out the door.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Without a new 4 channel amplifier to go with it, not really. Aftermarket amps don't work with the rear OEM 6x9's so now you're replacing those as well. The JBL (HKs) are a nice entry level and coupled with their 6x9 counterpart (GX963), with a mid-high quality amplifier, you will notice 4x the clarity at a reasonable price. There is simply no such thing as cheap audio upgrade, no different as asking for a cheap path to 500 RWHP, it doesn't exist. Spend the $1,000 and don't think twice about it.

The Sony XM-GS4 recently won first place in a blind amp shootout review testing entry level amplifiers in a SQ peer group I'm in. Beating out the Alpine PDX-F4, Helix, JL audio and even Zapco ST series. None of this probably means much to you but basically, the Sony XM GS4 is the best money can by at this price level right now.

Equipment:
JBL GX600C; $80, Newegg
JBL GX963; $80, Newegg
Sony XM-GS4; $250, Crutchfield
Installation for above; $100 x 3

Miscellaneous:
Fark Harness; $130
RCAs; $50
AMP Kit: $60
Metra front speaker adaptor: $15
Metra rear speaker adaptors: $35

Best Buy may or may not change some of the miscellaneous charges or nickel and dime you $5 here and there, but don't pay more than $1,000 + tax out the door.
They sound much better then stock without an amp upgrade, I have them. 80$ shipped out of Amazon, and to the OP yes you can take them to Best Buy they'll put them in for you even if you don't buy from them. Very nice sounding speakers.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron0731 View Post
They sound much better then stock without an amp upgrade, I have them. 80$ shipped out of Amazon, and to the OP yes you can take them to Best Buy they'll put them in for you even if you don't buy from them. Very nice sounding speakers.
I am in the process of upgrading my amp to a sound ordnance m75 from Crutchfield, can't wait to hear it then.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
sspade

Thanks Aaron... I had a feeling it would be an upgrade over stock. I don't doubt that spending a grand would be "better" somehow but that's not what I asked. I also don't buy the fact that these speakers wouldn't be an improvement without considerably more investment.

Definitely nice to hear from someone who has the same set up. Ill be making my appointment this week. For me, $275 out the door to have these installed by a professional is worth it. Saves me the headache and time.

Best buy said they would only price match if the online retailer is actually shipping the items themselves. They showed me where most of these super deals are actually shipped through 3rd party and not the actual website marketing them which does not qualify for price match...
Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Best buy said they would only price match if the online retailer is actually shipping the items themselves. They showed me where most of these super deals are actually shipped through 3rd party and not the actual website marketing them which does not qualify for price match...
Newegg is an authorized retailer and one of the highest reputable distributors of electronics anywhere in the world, not to mention free shipping and no tax in most cases. I have not heard of them endorsing or 'reselling' through disreputable 3rd parties. You can always go through Amazon direct for the exact same warranty and price @ $80-90/pr. Sounds like their Geek Squad or customer service desk is misinformed. However, in their defense, I also know Best Buy Managers can independently set their own internal pricing policy against corporate direction if they so choose. There is no such thing as a "$9 - harness" for the front speakers in a Camaro or a "$5 shop charge"

I'm all for paying someone else for peace of mind and professional work, though I usually draw the line at price gouging. Everyone's perception is different and if it's worth $275 to you, by all means - you will enjoy the new speakers.