Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Drjohn501

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Audio Install Gone Bad

I have a 2013 Camaro 2ss. Recently I had a New Pioneer AvicAvic8100nex installed with the New PAC unit. They also installed Hertz 6.5s up frnt, Hertz 2x12s Es 300s in custom sealed box in trunk and new Hertz 950 watt amp in trunk
Problem is a constant high hiss like ground loop. They tried isolater ect. Took HU out. Noise coming from sterring wheel to amp. Tap the steering wheel it goes away.

Update:
Still having noise after Cartronics installed PAC/Avic 8100..and Hertz Speakers amp ect..

Its been blamed on everything from my RCA jacks to the Hertz Amp they installed and even the CAN sytem of my Camaro. They ordered new Hertz amp installed it. High hissing again. So I had them take out the Pioneer and test it on bench with another amp and speakers , no high sound just a low hum. They tested a new Stereo in my ride and said its my Pioneer now! I'm so pissed off. 8 trips to this place. I think its all B.S. and they f'd up my new 8100.
What can I do? I just want my Pioneer and audio system installed correctly without the annoying hiss spund from rear speakers.
Should contact attorney? I gping to call the owner today. The Avic8100nex was brand new no noise before they installed it. Very frustrating! Help!
Drjohn501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
TTTAPOUT

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It sounds to me like you have some bad grounds. Check and see if the spot where they grounded the amp was sanded down to bare metal, or if they just screwed the ground to the car with paint still there. You may want to also check and see it the radio was grounded this way, or just through the factory harness. If you have aftermarket gauges or other electronics that monitor performance, it is also possible that they are introducing noise over the system. If the high pitched noise changes with your RPM, it is almost certainly a ground loop/bad ground connection.
TTTAPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT View Post
It sounds to me like you have some bad grounds. Check and see if the spot where they grounded the amp was sanded down to bare metal, or if they just screwed the ground to the car with paint still there. You may want to also check and see it the radio was grounded this way, or just through the factory harness. If you have aftermarket gauges or other electronics that monitor performance, it is also possible that they are introducing noise over the system. If the high pitched noise changes with your RPM, it is almost certainly a ground loop/bad ground connection.
They grounded it good. I dont know what they did in dash. Its a conrant high hiss. They tried isolators, ran rca
Cables outside car. Changed the Amplifier. At one point it was intermittent and went away if I lighly touched rear speaker coil.of 6x9s they installed in rear deck. They unplugged everything from amp except speaker, no HU, still was makinh the hiss. They sad it was the hertz amp they installed. Got new amp in few days ago and sound got louder! Now they say its my rca plugs from Pioneer which they at one point grounded together and to stereo housing becuase they thought it was open resister inside Pioneer. Its been back and fourth with these installers. Now its my $1000.00 stereo!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohn501 View Post
They grounded it good. I dont know what they did in dash. Its a conrant high hiss. They tried isolators, ran rca
Cables outside car. Changed the Amplifier. At one point it was intermittent and went away if I lighly touched rear speaker coil.of 6x9s they installed in rear deck. They unplugged everything from amp except speaker, no HU, still was makinh the hiss. They sad it was the hertz amp they installed. Got new amp in few days ago and sound got louder! Now they say its my rca plugs from Pioneer which they at one point grounded together and to stereo housing becuase they thought it was open resister inside Pioneer. Its been back and fourth with these installers.
Now its my $1000.00 stereo!
Talk to owner he said, they would gladly take out the 8100 and I could swap it at Best Buy then theu would install new one. But, its past warrentu and Bestbuy isnt going to swap anything. It has to be sent to Pioneer and they pair it. Anu suggestions how to deal with this situation?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Talk to owner he said, they would gladly take out the 8100 and I could swap it at Best Buy then theu would install new one. But, its past warrentu and Bestbuy isnt going to swap anything. It has to be sent to Pioneer and they pair it. Anu suggestions how to deal with this situation?
Will they swap a stereo in just to test to make sure it's the stereo. The guessing is bs, need to pinpoint it.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
Will they swap a stereo in just to test to make sure it's the stereo. The guessing is bs, need to pinpoint it.
Yes,
They did and I dint' hear the noise.
But, how did the RCAs get messed up?
Anyway, going to gave them install something decent. Going to get the Pioneer fixed, and rake it from there.
But, I believe since I didnt purchase the 8100 frpm them they should've tested it before they took all my money. The owner said they dont sell Pioneers anymore because Pioneer quality has went down. I dont like the solution but it's the best of my options. Ill update after this ordeal. Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Yes,
They did and I dint' hear the noise.
But, how did the RCAs get messed up?
Anyway, going to gave them install something decent. Going to get the Pioneer fixed, and rake it from there.
But, I believe since I didnt purchase the 8100 frpm them they should've tested it before they took all my money. The owner said they dont sell Pioneers anymore because Pioneer quality has went down. I dont like the solution but it's the best of my options. Ill update after this ordeal. Thanks
Sounds like you need to research the "Pioneer Pico Fuse" problem. Sounds like what you are experiencing.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Sounds like you need to research the "Pioneer Pico Fuse" problem. Sounds like what you are experiencing.
I agree, does sound like the Pico fuse problem. Id like to know how th at happened in a new HU. They installed it. Now I have to deal with it.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Who is the installer you are working with?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Nearly 100% of all ground loop problems are installer related, if not personally then simply due to lack of experience. While it is true that bad RCA's could potentially be the root cause, they could be using CCA power and speaker wires instead of OFC or something as stupid as not soldering and shielding power crimps or a wire splice. The shop may simply not have the expertise to resolve the issue. Ground noise is a common question I receive PMs on and while it's not a quick fix as there are a dozen common variables, it should be childs play to any experienced installer with hands on the vehicle.

IF this is Cartronix in Valparaiso, I would have some minor concerns as Brad Marvin and Brian Trinoskey are no longer employed there. Brad now works for Rockford Fosgate and I am unable to confirm Brian is still in the industry. Regardless, I would connect with the owner, Eric Carter, before consulting an attorney. While Eric owns the shop, I am unable to find any acolades involving installation on him or his new installer, "Mark".

I would also contact Mobile Electronics Mag as this shop is (was?) one of the top audio retailers in the country (13-15), so they are aware. If an attorney consult is less than $50 as they are in Texas, I would recommend one after speaking with the owner of your installation shop. If of course, you are unable to receive an amicable solution. There is no scenario whereby paying a pro shop of this caliber, should a client leave with a non-working system, defined by the clarity and level of equipment your describing.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
please make sure your gains are NOT maxed. gain will introduce hiss easily. if you can not make it to half radio volume and still have volume to go, they are too high
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I really hope you can get your problems fixed, out of all the Kits that Pac 5 looked the best.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
please make sure your gains are NOT maxed. gain will introduce hiss easily. if you can not make it to half radio volume and still have volume to go, they are too high
Wow! I didn't want to name the exact shop but you nailed it!
The noise seems to be less now. Im getting second oppinion with another installer. The amp isnt secured in the trunk. They have it mounted to a black insulator material but it moves back there. I checed the gains and they are way down. I think your correct and its an issue they don't have the expertise to solve. But, Im over $4500.00 with parts labor ect... The owner Eric doesn't seem to care. Again thank all of you for the input.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Drjohn501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Wow! I didn't want to name the exact shop but you nailed it!
The noise seems to be less now. Im getting second oppinion with another installer. The amp isnt secured in the trunk. They have it mounted to a black insulator material but it moves back there. I checed the gains and they are way down. I think your correct and its an issue they don't have the expertise to solve. But, Im over $4500.00 with parts labor ect... The owner Eric doesn't seem to care. Again thank all of you for the input.
All the owner offered after over 2 months and 7 or 8 45min trips was ,its the Pioneer my installers can disconnect your$1000.00 8100 and reinstall brand new one, other wise its my problem. So I believe at this point I have no choice but to get second or third professional opinions and resolve this. If it's the stereo then I'll replace it. I don't think that Pico noise is intermittent. But, Im not the professional here. And I hope this gets resolved because the PAC is awesome! Thanks again