Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Do it!!! And you will never look back. And the wife only asked if I bought a custom hood.
Attached Images

activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I personally wouldn't do it. I've traded cars too fast before and it just leads to more weight you have to carry and when you get used to the car and it's no longer 'new' to you, you will begin realizing it was not a financially wise move in the future. Also dont forget that you are looking at a USED ZL1 (which you will incur depreciation and also the warranty will not last as long) while taking a hike on the payments. Remember in car ownership, the financing is only HALF of the true cost of owning the vehicle, you still have to replace tires (much more expensive on a ZL1 than an SS), take a hit on fuel mileage (a pretty significant and one) and eventually maintainence.

The SS offers more than enough on the street. You're going to increase your financial obligations while gaining almost nothing for street use.

You're young and the thought of the ZL1 may excite you but trust me one day you will look back and realize how much you could have saved or allocated to other areas of your life. For 425 monthly you have a beast as is.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when buying cars is 'oh I need to make this deal happen right now' or 'I need to purchase right now' when they have a perfectly fine car... The ZL1 isnt going anywhere. Use patience and WAIT until it's a better financial move rather than taking on large payments like that. Trust me...you do NOT want a $625 car payment.

Edit: Also from what it sounds, you really dont have a down payment. Your down payment is only going toward paying off your negative equity in your SS, NOTHING is going toward financing the ZL1.. you are eating a $54k loan with no down payment toward the loan amount and even some negative equity left over. Not a wise move. You really intend to carry that for 5+ years when anything can happen in life? Even if you trade out later you will take a huge hit and would have to settle for something like a Cruze to just balance out of the negative equity. It's not a good idea... you are just re-accruing negative equity and it's also unlikely you will be able to get GAP insurance on it so if it gets totaled by you or someone else runs into you, SOL.

For right now if the itch is just too strong for you, I'd just start doing mild mods to the SS and focus mainly on paying it down or paying it off.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #17
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
I have both a SS and Zl1 camaro and you can tell the difference between them but for normal spirited driving they both put a smile on your face. The Zl1 has the power to really get you in trouble quick but the SS can still be a lot to handle if you really get into it.

I know the feeling of wanting a Zl1 over the SS and yes I know not everyone can have both but it is really your choice what you do.

If I was going to give any advice it would be if your happy with your SS and can afford your payments now don't strap yourself because you may want more important things in the future. just sayin!

If your set on it and can afford it then best of luck!
Attached Images

JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #18
StormSS
Banned

Drives: 2018 2SS
Save for a house kid. You'll thank me later
StormSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #19
TenSeven

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Please read and understand what Need4Camaro and StormSS wrote. They are spot-on regarding this decision you are making.

I'm well past 21, my house is paid for, my '16 SS is paid for, and it was still a very bad financial move for me to upgrade to a new ZL1 when I was considering doing so.

The depreciation of my '16 and the costs of a '19 ZL1 were going to turn a $65k car into a $85k car that was going to then turn into a $55k car the moment I drove it off the lot.

That would have been a loss of $30-40k. Nope, not gonna happen...
TenSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #20
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
It all depends on what you do with the car. If your just going to work and back, that's completely pointless. It drives fairly the same. The seats are also harsher for daily use. If you go into a dealership on you own as a (21) year old you are tripping so hard thinking your really getting that car for under 55,000 with financing. If you don't do any kind of real Racing, not talking mexico here, your are making a huge mistake. But if you have the money that all up to you if you want to give in. Its just asking for trouble with idiots on the road and for you to fall for it if you want to play.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #21
YaBoyJordy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
I'm the type of person who tries to live on the line of being fiscally responsible but also spending money to enjoy the present. But at your age I would have killed to have a car as cool and fast as the SS, so consider yourself a lucky kid. I personally wouldn't go into further financial hardship to get a ZL1.

Of course, I don't know your full financial situation. Do you have student loans? A good paying job? Have you started putting money away in an investment/retirement account? Only you can answer these questions and see if its worth spending the extra money every month. Just realize how cool of a car you have right now and don't take it for granted!
YaBoyJordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #22
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
do it. i’m not here to give financial advice. i had a blown m6 gen 2 lt1 when i was 21, its no mystery the 6g zl1 is lightyears ahead in every regard. do eet.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #23
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I appoligize if this comes off wrong, however I never understand why people look to complete strangers to make finacial decisions for them. I just did the same thing and for me it was a great move and I absolutely love this car, but I certainly didnt need someone else to make the choice for me. Only you know if its the right move for you. Clearly there is a huge difference between the SS and the ZL1 but at the end of the day they are just cars. If its something you want, then do it and dont look back.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #24
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
The ZL1 is useless compared to the SS for the streets. The SS is so amazing and quick as it is as a street car. The ZL1 is pointless. If you're drowning in $$$, sure why not? If you're not, spending $55K is a lot of $ for a car.

I'm so grateful I have an SS for $33K which is still not chump change. To spend an extra $25-30K for a ZL1..hell no. Not while the SS is perfect.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
The ZL1 is useless compared to the SS for the streets. The SS is so amazing and quick as it is as a street car. The ZL1 is pointless. If you're drowning in $$$, sure why not? If you're not, spending $55K is a lot of $ for a car.

I'm so grateful I have an SS for $33K which is still not chump change. To spend an extra $25-30K for a ZL1..hell no. Not while the SS is perfect.
Yeah, ok.......

...the SS is perfect for YOU, but not for everyone. By your logic, a 2.0T Camaro should be enough for anyone.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Yeah, ok.......

...the SS is perfect for YOU, but not for everyone. By your logic, a 2.0T Camaro should be enough for anyone.
I wanted a very fast V8. The 2.0T is not that. The SS is.
Like I said, if you're drowning in cash, get the ZL1. Hopefully you can launch it without sliding all over the road. If $ is an object, get an SS for the price of a Honda Accord Sport Touring and don't look back.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Here's my thoughts...

For me, the fun comes in modifying the car and making it out to be something unique and "you".

I haven't had the time to sink a lot of mods into my current SS due to two very young kids and other "grown up" priorities now that place buying that next cool mod for the Camaro much further down the priority list than it used to be.

Before this car, I had a 2010 Camaro RS with the V6. Yeah "just a V6" since I felt like the SS at time wasn't a good financial move, but also at that time I was either single, or married with no kids, and the Camaro was more or a priority. My financial situation improved, and rather than trading her off on an SS, I did lots of mods (visual and performance) over time. For me, that kept things exciting over a longer period, and also made the car "mine". I said back then that I wouldn't have traded it even straight up for any plane jane SS, and I stick by that today.

Maybe with that in mind, you can keep your SS and start doing things every now and then to keep it interesting, and end up with a car you love more than a stock ZL1. Of course, if you end up sinking in 15 or 20K in mods (lol I'm not talking that much!) then it really ends up about the same financially, so don't go overboard lol.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #28
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I wanted a very fast V8. The 2.0T is not that. The SS is.
Like I said, if you're drowning in cash, get the ZL1. Hopefully you can launch it without sliding all over the road. If $ is an object, get an SS for the price of a Honda Accord Sport Touring and don't look back.
I've never had a problem keeping one straight and getting traction. I think you must have the Camaro confused with the Z06 Corvette. The Camaro ZL1 can put the power down much better.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote