Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Anyone bought the Navigation add-on?

Has anyone bought the navigation add-on SD card? Does it work well? I've been spoiled, had nav in my past 4 cars.
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Boraz

Drives: Camaro LT1 A10 Blue
I've never used built in Navigation

Is there a reason you don't use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
imo a short usb cable from the center console means your phone is charging, connected and accessible for almost everything you need while driving
Boraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
car play or waze is ok but the reason i prefer factory nav is that the route guidance is projected to the HUD and the maps are always there, i have had situations in major traffic where i lost cellular service and map guidance. anyone ever have that happen going around chicago in 5 o'clock rush hour traffic towing a 26ft enclosed car trailer driving by yourself? it sucks.

from what my buddy at the chevrolet parts dept told me was that the GM map upgrade card is discontinued and that the needed SPS programing is no longer supported.

so... i just installed the new factory nav upgrade form WAMS (White Automotive Media & Media Service) 2 weeks ago. it adds wireless car play, factory nav ,hd radio and comes with a SD map card the upgrade is all preprogrammed and plug and play. i also sent my cluster into to them for custom programming so the nav is pushed to the HUD. It is a very nice upgrade. cost was $993 for everything with shipping back to me. i ordered and shipped to them on a monday and had a new 2021 GM preprogrammed radio module(you keep your original radio module . no core charge either) and my original cluster custom programed and back the following monday. install was all plug and play and not very difficult at all. they recommend a wi fi antenna be added in the dash since the '19's dont have that antenna from the factory i haven't driven the car yet since the weather is still lousy but i did pull it out into the drive way to try it all out a few times. from what i can say so far, is the wireless car play connects fast ,the map guidance projects to the HUD and the speed limit icon is also added to the cluster in one of the screens in the DIC.
its a awesome, very well done upgrade using factory parts, they recommend the wi fi antenna from amazon and provide the link. iam anxious to get the car on the road and really give it a good try out. the only thing is they only communicate by e mails. no phone calls but i can tell you they answer the email questions almost instantly and i really bothered them with those, the longest i waited for a response was only a few minutes. there customer service has been awesome.

i bought my car last February used with 850 miles on it so i couldn't order it with factory nav. it was within 3 hours of my house ,i wouldn't need a out of state inspection, i could put eyes on it in person and transport it home myself and it was what i was looking for except the nav, so i couldn't pass it up. i spoke with WAMS last march and they said they would be working on this upgrade and now they finally have it ready. i think it is great but this is just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Android: You can download maps to your phone (to save on data too) so you dont need to worry about cell service. Google maps / driving app lets you do this for area you select. It's valid for bunch of time before it wants to update it.

Perhaps same functionality w same apps on iphone?

Nav.. came w car.. prefer Android Auto.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote