Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #43
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I'd be curious to know the "computer's" algorithm for % of life.
I had mine changed shortly before putting her away for the winter, and she's been in a storage unit (unheated) since mid Oct. I go start her up about every 2-3 weeks and run for 30 minutes.
Just happened to be scrolling thru the DIC today and its saying I'm at 64% life.
WTF????

The algorithm is pretty robust now and includes many factors/variables including time. If you left your car parked for 1 year, your Oil Life Monitor (OLM) would be at 0%.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #44
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
oil change

I had my first oil change done at 1000 miles, less than 2 months after purchase no problem with the dealer at all.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #45
lt4camaro

Quote:
I had mine changed shortly before putting her away for the winter, and she's been in a storage unit (unheated) since mid Oct. I go start her up about every 2-3 weeks and run for 30 minutes.
Just happened to be scrolling thru the DIC today and its saying I'm at 64% life.
WTF????
My 2015 and 2019 corvette both driven only 2500 miles a year, the oil change life was triggered by time, every 12 months I would get the reminder to change the oil regardless of life percentage.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #46
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
When gm came out with the ESP oil in the C7 Corvette, they said it was retroactively recommended for all of the C7's. But at that time, they said only use it for the newer LT1 engines in the Camaro and to stick with the 0w-30 for the earlier years, like my 2017. Never have seen a gm document stating otherwise.

For the OP, try taking your car to a different gm dealership, such as Cadillac or GMC. They're all supposed to work on other makes of gm cars.

(Don't like the new elephant logo. Too hard to type.)

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #47
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Theres always been a guy saying... "just run it hard and let it know what its in for"
Ridiculous. There are machined surfaces that are literally wearing in. High spots are being removed... roughness is smoothing out. Engine, gear box and rear. The idea of actual break in oil is obsolete but the wearing in still happens and choosing an appropriate time to get the original factory oil out and replacing the filter containing those bits of metal is what were talking about. There was a time when different oil was used to facilitate break in.
People love their Camaros so taking the cautious approach to break in is natural.
Another reason breaking in a car has become obsolete is that 90% of them are appliances. No body cares how they break in a toaster oven. Im thinking probably most cars are now leased for 3 years. Who cares. A few oil changes. Maybe a brake job. Then give it back and get a different color.
Few if any Camaros are treated that way.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:40 PM   #48
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
In Maryland Jiffy Lube will do that. They have a pit, and you can watch them through a window.

Uh, I never go to places like Jiffy Lube and I'd certainly would never take a nice performance car like my SS to one!

Why doesn't the dealer want to change it? You're paying money, they make money on it.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #49
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Theres always been a guy saying... "just run it hard and let it know what its in for"
Ridiculous. There are machined surfaces that are literally wearing in. High spots are being removed... roughness is smoothing out. Engine, gear box and rear. The idea of actual break in oil is obsolete but the wearing in still happens and choosing an appropriate time to get the original factory oil out and replacing the filter containing those bits of metal is what were talking about. There was a time when different oil was used to facilitate break in.
People love their Camaros so taking the cautious approach to break in is natural.
Another reason breaking in a car has become obsolete is that 90% of them are appliances. No body cares how they break in a toaster oven. Im thinking probably most cars are now leased for 3 years. Who cares. A few oil changes. Maybe a brake job. Then give it back and get a different color.
Few if any Camaros are treated that way.
In the late 70s, I was a service MGR at a chevrolet dealer. I am a believer in break in, and also a break procedure that works the engine. Over the years I had to deal with customer oil consumption problems. Most of the car owners that had oil consumption were older and never pushed or worked the engine during the critical break in time frame. The engine needs to feel hard pulls, deacceleration from higher rpm, needs to see a few hold it to the floor and let it up shift at a 1-2 2-3 shift point maybe after 300 to 500 miles. Normally the first quart of oil may be gone in a 1000 miles or less, after that you would expect maybe burning a quart in 3000 miles and then nothing between changes. Dont beat the engine up during break in, but do not baby it either....work it. My 2021 LT1 I had the dealer dump the oil and filter at 1000 miles, I did not use any oil at all as I checked it regularly , I have 2500 miles on it now, and no oil consumption , break in was a success and the engine has seen many 2-3 wot close to redline manual mode up shifts and engine braking from higher rpms
Old 03-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
In the late 70s, I was a service MGR at a chevrolet dealer. I am a believer in break in, and also a break procedure that works the engine. Over the years I had to deal with customer oil consumption problems. Most of the car owners that had oil consumption were older and never pushed or worked the engine during the critical break in time frame. The engine needs to feel hard pulls, deacceleration from higher rpm, needs to see a few hold it to the floor and let it up shift at a 1-2 2-3 shift point maybe after 300 to 500 miles. Normally the first quart of oil may be gone in a 1000 miles or less, after that you would expect maybe burning a quart in 3000 miles and then nothing between changes. Dont beat the engine up during break in, but do not baby it either....work it. My 2021 LT1 I had the dealer dump the oil and filter at 1000 miles, I did not use any oil at all as I checked it regularly , I have 2500 miles on it now, and no oil consumption , break in was a success and the engine has seen many 2-3 wot close to redline manual mode up shifts and engine braking from higher rpms
Yeah, there needs to be some sort of crossover area between babying it and beating the snot out of it. Get a few hundred miles on the clock by driving it gently. Let things start to work in and if there are any particulates that are free-floating, they should get moved along and picked up by the filter. Change the oil.

Drive it with a little more 'purpose', but don't redline it constantly. Let things get a bit warmer and allow the parts to seat more properly. Once you hit another reasonable chunk of miles (1500 would seem reasonable according to the guidance you're getting from GM), then do what you will with it.

As an aside, the Corvette will explicitly prevent you from 'driving it like you stole it' for the first 500 miles (I believe that's the number). After that, the computer removes the restrictions on RPM and such. So, breaking the engine in without overdoing it is clearly something that GM is serious about...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #51
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Yeah, there needs to be some sort of crossover area between babying it and beating the snot out of it. Get a few hundred miles on the clock by driving it gently. Let things start to work in and if there are any particulates that are free-floating, they should get moved along and picked up by the filter. Change the oil.

Drive it with a little more 'purpose', but don't redline it constantly. Let things get a bit warmer and allow the parts to seat more properly. Once you hit another reasonable chunk of miles (1500 would seem reasonable according to the guidance you're getting from GM), then do what you will with it.

As an aside, the Corvette will explicitly prevent you from 'driving it like you stole it' for the first 500 miles (I believe that's the number). After that, the computer removes the restrictions on RPM and such. So, breaking the engine in without overdoing it is clearly something that GM is serious about...
I have had a brand new 2015 stingray and a 2019 GS , There are no redline restrictions or power reducers . The tach has a lower redline range I believe showing 4000 or 4500 and at the 500 mile marker, that redline range moves up to 6500 . That is a visual only reminder on the virtual tach and in no way restricts the 6500 rpm capability . The engine pulls right up to redline no problem. The C8 has the same 500 mile visual on the tach without actual restrictions other than its been said the C8 has a torque reduction in gears 1 and 2 to let the trans cope with high torque wot shifts in gears 1 and 2
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #52
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
I have had a brand new 2015 stingray and a 2019 GS , There are no redline restrictions or power reducers . The tach has a lower redline range I believe showing 4000 or 4500 and at the 500 mile marker, that redline range moves up to 6500 . That is a visual only reminder on the virtual tach and in no way restricts the 6500 rpm capability . The engine pulls right up to redline no problem. The C8 has the same 500 mile visual on the tach without actual restrictions other than its been said the C8 has a torque reduction in gears 1 and 2 to let the trans cope with high torque wot shifts in gears 1 and 2
Yes, the torque restrictions are what I was referring to.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #53
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=15

You have to download the pdf (which is free).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #54
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Yea I agree with you completely. Idling around and lugging trying to baby it isnt good for any anything.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 PM   #55
Scott Faulkenberry

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
2017 SS Fifty Oil Change

Change my own oil, can't get any easier on our cars...AC Delco PF64 Filter, Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30...Use Race Ramps and installed a ValvoMax oil drain valve...It takes me about 15-20 minutes and I know it is done right. Save around $120 instead of going to Valvoline Quick Change place that charges about $165...
Attached Images

Scott Faulkenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #56
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Faulkenberry View Post
Change my own oil, can't get any easier on our cars...AC Delco PF64 Filter, Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30...Use Race Ramps and installed a ValvoMax oil drain valve...It takes me about 15-20 minutes and I know it is done right. Save around $120 instead of going to Valvoline Quick Change place that charges about $165...
I’m there with you, but I feel the oil drains too slow!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote