Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #57
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
If you go to 4:30 on this video https://youtu.be/aLn_hy5pxH4 (made by a member here while installing his catch can) you'll see the bolts I'm referring to. It's the two bolts in the very back. It's hard to tell on the video but those bolts are directly under the cowl.

To install the catch can you don't need to remove those bolts or the supercharger. You just need to loosen them, elevate the supercharger a couple of inches to gain access to the diverter valve. To install the spacers and blanket the supercharger and those bolts need to come out of the car.

I installed the catch can on my ZLE and that job is nothing compared to installing the spacers and blanket.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Gloom about this install. I just want to give people as much info as possible so they can make an informed decision when it comes to either installing this themselves or paying someone to do it.

Haha, now I see what you meant.

If I remember correctly, the shop manual calls for the motor to be lowered in order to gain clearance to remove those bolts in the rear. I know some people here have access to the shop manual, hopefully they'll chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

I had a similar clearance issue with those rear bolts on my Hellcat when I did the install last year. I removed the wipers, wiper motor and the cowl and had plenty of room.

I assume the Camaro would be the same, I can't see it being a big pain in the ass to remove the cowl on the Camaro. It worries me that the shop manual calls for the motor to be lowered to remove the supercharger INSTEAD of just removing the cowl.

I like this kit, my Hellcat felt peppier after I put the kit on it.

I just don't think I would have paid someone to do it. A shop would probably charge 4-5 hours to do it.....at probably close to $100/hour for labor it becomes a really expensive mod.
I will be removing my supercharger tomorrow of Sunday. And I don't believe it's going to be so tough. Once everything is out of the ways or loose, I am going to lift the number 7 bolt a little more than all the way unscrewed out of the head and tape it there. There will be about an inch between the top of the bolt that's taped up off the head and the cowl. Then with a helper, pick up the supercharger about 1/2 inch, slide forward until the bolt has cleared the cowl, then straight up and off it comes. I have to do this for reasons I'll explain later in another post about buying BS (I hate to say this cause I don't like blanket statements) made in China Torque Wrenches
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #58
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
I will be removing my supercharger tomorrow of Sunday.
Let us know how it goes. I hate reinventing the wheel
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #59
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Also, I'm very interested in installing the chiller instead of the blankets and spacer. I saw the advertising video of the chiller lowering temps to almost freezing without the blanket and spacer. I think that will be fine for my application, there is another post about this on the forum in the post about group weapon X boost chillers. Anyways, fiinterchillers show these vehicles temps so cold they tell you to delete the heat exchangers because it raises the temps, get that.... I'm thinking about turning all my (so called deleted) heat exchangers into the largest radiator ever if it's possible and then running the chiller for the intercooler.

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 02-26-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #60
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
This is correct, the manual says to drop the cradle a few inches to gain access. Hoping this isn't the case as I'm gonna be sending the blower out for porting within the next month. Guess I'll find out the hard way
Quote:
I will be removing my supercharger tomorrow of Sunday. And I don't believe it's going to be so tough. Once everything is out of the ways or loose, I am going to lift the number 7 bolt a little more than all the way unscrewed out of the head and tape it there. There will be about an inch between the top of the bolt that's taped up off the head and the cowl. Then with a helper, pick up the supercharger about 1/2 inch, slide forward until the bolt has cleared the cowl, then straight up and off it comes. I have to do this for reasons I'll explain later in another post about buying BS (I hate to say this cause I don't like blanket statements) made in China Torque Wrenches
I think I know what you are referring to. Did you snap one of the supercharger bolts while tightening it because of a bad torque wrench?

Make sure you guys report back about removing the blower please. Good luck to ya.

If I were you I'd make a new thread about removing the blower and we should make it a sticky !!!!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #61
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
If I were you I'd make a new thread about removing the blower and we should make it a sticky !!!!
My earlier inference that Chevy could or should and would like to do it is looking better and better, LOL

2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #62
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
I think I know what you are referring to. Did you snap one of the supercharger bolts while tightening it because of a bad torque wrench?

Make sure you guys report back about removing the blower please. Good luck to ya.

YES, And you have no idea how pissed at myself I am. I should have known that this 10 Nmeters was going a little too far and I should have backed it out and started anew. Unfortunately, I had in my head this conversation from a guy that said his had some locktite on it and he could feel it (so I kept turning).... But, I already had the bolts out and there was no locktite on any of them. So, the update is I bought a new torque wrench (and bolts) from the states. Another thing was the number 10 bolt was only hand tight when I loosened it, no wrench needed to loosen. I was shocked. So maybe there was already a problem. Nevertheless, my internal alarm should have went off when I was tightening and I felt the bolt tighten but wrench not click. That is my wrenching refresher to concentrate. I haven't wrenched in 11-12 years, since I sold my last sportscar. But I love it, so I'm back at it. It will be really nice when I get my lift. I'm also going to learn welding online (as best I can). I've never done much welding, but I want to learn. I'm pulling the supercharger tomorrow. I pulled a bunch of stuff today just to get a better glimpse of the engine bay.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #63
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
YES, And you have no idea how pissed at myself I am. I should have known that this 10 Nmeters was going a little too far and I should have backed it out and started anew. Unfortunately, I had in my head this conversation from a guy that said his had some locktite on it and he could feel it (so I kept turning).... But, I already had the bolts out and there was no locktite on any of them. So, the update is I bought a new torque wrench (and bolts) from the states. Another thing was the number 10 bolt was only hand tight when I loosened it, no wrench needed to loosen. I was shocked. So maybe there was already a problem. Nevertheless, my internal alarm should have went off when I was tightening and I felt the bolt tighten but wrench not click. That is my wrenching refresher to concentrate. I haven't wrenched in 11-12 years, since I sold my last sportscar. But I love it, so I'm back at it. It will be really nice when I get my lift. I'm also going to learn welding online (as best I can). I've never done much welding, but I want to learn. I'm pulling the supercharger tomorrow. I pulled a bunch of stuff today just to get a better glimpse of the engine bay.
IMO every man should know how to weld MIG at the least. TIG is the best, albeit much more time consuming & more nuanced.

We may have some resident pro’s here, but if you need any input I’d be happy to help. I’m not a fabrication welder by profession any longer, but there was a time that I was. Now I just do jobs for our business, as they’re needed, or for friends. So take it for what it’s worth.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #64
Alain

Quote:
Snapping those bolts off was a major concern for everyone who did their own catch can installs a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear you had that problem. Luckily it’s easily fixed once you get the motor out.

Keep us posted on removing the supercharger. Good luck.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 02-28-2021, 01:46 AM   #65
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Done!!! I'll post pics later on the new thread. I got the supercharger off very easily. As I said, just tape the rear bolt half way up. Then pulled right off and I already had spied that the bolt had broken off above the head about a 1/4 inch (Thank You Jesus!!). so I used some vise grips and carefully unscrewed it out. Then cleaned up the outside of the intake ports. They were loaded with oil. Then put the supercharger back on And I accidentally left the taped bolt in the number 7 hole so I'm going to be using one older bolt. I really don't want to take the supercharger off again just to change that bolt. It wasn't hard, but it is so delicate. Nevertheless, it's finished. But there are many things that were interesting and I'll post this entire new thread this evening Bangkok time.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #66
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Just buy the material from Summit or jegs and make your own blanket!

I'm not sure if I'm going to install my FI chiller now that I added the reservoir in the back/trunk.. before with the .5 gallon tank in front It would burn the crap out of my hand if I opened the reservoir while the car was hot now I can stick my arm in my tank and its luke warm.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586298

I guess will see when its 100 degrees out and Ill make the call.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #67
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Just buy the material from Summit or jegs and make your own blanket!

I'm not sure if I'm going to install my FI chiller now that I added the reservoir in the back/trunk.. before with the .5 gallon tank in front It would burn the crap out of my hand if I opened the reservoir while the car was hot now I can stick my arm in my tank and its luke warm.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586298

I guess will see when its 100 degrees out and Ill make the call.

If it matters, the chiller will be slightly more effective with a larger aux tank.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #68
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I'm getting to that point where it seems like I have to much done to the car lol. I've been running trouble free and I would hate to screw up my AC or add problem.

I think my iats are really manage now but it's not 100 out yet either.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #69
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I'm getting to that point where it seems like I have to much done to the car lol. I've been running trouble free and I would hate to screw up my AC or add problem.

I think my iats are really manage now but it's not 100 out yet either.
It's almost a 100 everyday here for the last 2 weeks..... and FI's Chiller is looking really good.....
Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #70
Alain

Quote:
Done!!! I'll post pics later on the new thread. I got the supercharger off very easily. As I said, just tape the rear bolt half way up. Then pulled right off and I already had spied that the bolt had broken off above the head about a 1/4 inch (Thank You Jesus!!). so I used some vise grips and carefully unscrewed it out. Then cleaned up the outside of the intake ports. They were loaded with oil. Then put the supercharger back on And I accidentally left the taped bolt in the number 7 hole so I'm going to be using one older bolt. I really don't want to take the supercharger off again just to change that bolt. It wasn't hard, but it is so delicate. Nevertheless, it's finished. But there are many things that were interesting and I'll post this entire new thread this evening Bangkok time.
Glad to hear you were able to get it done without headaches !!!!!

Looking forward to reading your new thread.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot