#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #71
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Rumor is it is the E Ray, and it won’t kill the ICE version, but ultimately enhance it for the 1,000 HP Zora.
I think he is talking beyond the C8. Given the Corvette GENs last about 7 to 8 years I think once the C8 has had its run the C9 will be electric only.

I watched a GM published video on the new Hummer EV coming out

0-60 in 3 seconds on a full size crew cab truck... wow.
1000HP 11,000 TQ

Last edited by Memphis SS; 02-14-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #72
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Rumor is it is the E Ray, and it won’t kill the ICE version, but ultimately enhance it for the 1,000 HP Zora.
I think the E-Ray is s’posed to slot in where the Grand Sport would normally slot in. Basically, Z06 bodywork with Stingray powertrain, except with hybrid assist. So not an EV. I hope I’m wrong and that the E-Ray is Stingray body plus hybrid and that there is still a Grand Sport that is Z06 body and suspension with Stingray powertrain. That would be on my short list to buy. And E-Ray is a solidly stupid name, so there’s that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #73
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Naw, this was too easy. What are people buying today? (People, not enthusiasts and auto mag writers). Sport utilities and crossovers. You go where the high volume market is standing in line waving money. Sport utilities and crossovers.

As far as ground clearance, that is not a defining feature for SUVs. There is much debate within the industry over what are the differences between SUV and CUV. If it can confidently go off road, it’s an SUV. But most SUVs, capable or not, never go off road, just like most track cars never make it to the track. How many Explorers and Tahoe’s actually go off-road? But both are classified as SUV. Think of Mach E as a smaller, sportier electric version of Explorer. Which, by the way, sells a helluva lot more than Mustang.
It's not a defining feature but it's a useful one that every SUV should come with. For me, that and the interior space are the only reason I would consider one, and wagon is plenty on space anyway.

I have more than a foot of snow outside right now. I accept that I won't be able to go anywhere with my friend's Mazda6, but if an SUV got stuck with winter tires because of incompetent ground clearance, you bet that I am gonna put it up for sale the next day.

Quote:
I can get the actual MT / AT breakdown sometime Tuesday. I know it’s way lower than 29%.

As far as the DCT being a manual...let’s just say they are very closely related. Notice that the performance DCTs in C8 and GT500 are made by Tremec, not ZF or Aisin. What else does Tremec make? They can use the same shaft and gear manufacturing equipment to manufacture most of the DCT.

If you look at a schematic of an AT, an MT, and a DCT, the DCT and the MT will look very much alike in design and part content. They are both layshaft designs. Most ATs (except Honda and early Saturns) are planetary design. Funny that some Saturns were not planetary (<—humor).

Basically, a DCT is an MT that shifts itself. It evolved from AMTs that were automated manual transmissions sold in South America and Eastern Europe. Thing is, they typically had a single clutch. Hondas, until very recently, and early Saturns had more refined AMTs than the ones used in South America and Eastern Europe.

Setting it up so that even gears were on one input shaft and odd gears were on another input shaft and then putting a clutch on each shaft is where the name comes from. Doing that allowed for having the next gear already in place and improved the shift speed dramatically. That’s why they first became popular with exotic sports cars.
Had this discussion on CorvetteForum already, as Big Lebowski said. It's a freakin' train wreck of a thread.

It doesn't matter how anyone wants to twist it, MT has 3 foot pedals and AT has 2 foot pedals.

Since we like to drag average consumers into the conversation, do you think they give a crap at all about how a transmission works? I once met a ZL1 owner who thought he has a DCT until I told him that he has the A10, which is TC based but still very good. He said that he didn't know because the salesperson told him it's a DCT and the shifts are fast enough for him not to question it.

If they hop into a car and find PRND and two pedals, it's an automatic. Doesn't matter if it's a TC AT, DCT or CVT. It's an automatic, period.

And remember that countries outside of North America give out separate license based on your ability to operate a true manual transmission, with 3 pedals and an H-gate. Good luck arguing with them that you should be given a manual trans license if you can operate a car with DCT.

This is one place that not being technical about the innards of a transmission helps you see things. A DCT will not replicate the driving experience a manual transmission does. That's the key here.

BTW DCT has been losing its popularity in German cars. ZF8HP has been eating DCT"s lunch now. Look at Mercedes and BMW. New BMW M cars all use ZF8HP now, not the DCT anymore.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #74
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I think he is talking beyond the C8. Given the Corvette GENs last about 7 to 8 years I think once the C8 has had its run the C9 will be electric only.

I watched a GM published video on the new Hummer EV coming out

0-60 in 3 seconds on a full size crew cab truck... wow.
1000HP 11,000 TQ
I hate the electric car torque rating system.

Somehow, Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, decided that it's a good idea to provide the torque figure after the gear reduction, not before.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #75
Kemo Savy
Banned

Drives: Make it a 6 speed in SS trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Yes...I also heard Mary Bara will be eliminating the gas powered Corvette and will be replacing it with a new electric version and will call it the... Chevy E-Vette.

Also eliminating the higher end Chevy Imapala...replacing it with the all new Chevy E-Pala.😔🤣
Kemo Savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #76
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
But you have to take into account the segment the vehicle is sold in as well as other vehicles in the portfolio that can contribute to share. When Ford decided to axe Fusion, it was still selling more than a hundred thousand a year. But it was trending down. Not drawing the type of volume Accord and Camry were drawing. Ford could have kept it, just as GM kept Malibu (for now) which sells even less. That’s just a question of whether in addition to a noticeable reduction in sales, was Fusion making money.
Fusion was one of four (Taurus, Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta). It still seems that they could have been mostly folded into a single model. The Fusion name lends itself far better to an EV future than reference to a gasoline-powered WWII fighter plane or a free-roaming horse found in the western United States ever could.

Norm
Old 02-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #77
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
60,000? GM has never produced that many Corvettes in a single model year. Ever. Even in a debut and 2nd MY of a new generation Corvette they haven’t produced more than 35k since the mid 80’s.

https://www.corvsport.com/corvette-sales-volume-year/
1979, 53807 was the all time peak.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #78
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
And Chevy’s 2nd BEV, not a challenger to the Mach E
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #79
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
1979, 53807 was the all time peak.
Good info. But I think that may have been St. Louis. Before the plant was built at Bowling Green. I think the new expansion can produce about 40k with stretch up to about 60 with two shifts and max overtime.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #80
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I hate the electric car torque rating system.

Somehow, Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, decided that it's a good idea to provide the torque figure after the gear reduction, not before.

I agree... but at the end of the day it’s a dang full size truck that has a faster 0-60 time than a ZL1
Old 02-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #81
Memphis SS

Quote:
Good info. But I think that may have been St. Louis. Before the plant was built at Bowling Green. I think the new expansion can produce about 40k with stretch up to about 60 with two shifts and max overtime.
Jim you are correct, I think it was around 1981 that the Bowling Green plant opened. I took a tour of the plant with my wife several years back, we enjoyed it. The picture in my signature is my car on display in the Corvette museum at a Chevrolet show.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #82
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Mustang Mach E = The Ford Karen
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:04 AM   #83
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Ready or not, would that really be a good thing?

Like, naming aside, why can't there be enough room left in the model lineup for vehicles that aren't SUVs/CUVs or trucks?

Norm

Cuz enough people aren’t buying them and to put money into R&D, manufacturing and other aspects of a new model doesn’t make financial sense if their only selling 20-30k of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #84
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
2 more things to consider:

1. All the people that were young and have nostalgia for hanging out at the car scene when the Fast N Furious movies took off will be entering the empty nest and peak income earning years in the next gen of cars. Even if you weren't into imports, the car scene in general, including pony cars, was pretty big back then. How will they want to spend their newly found disposable income on vehicles?

2. Gen Z are NOT like Millennials. I still think any car company not offering a sporty and affordable option for them in the next gen is really missing the boat with Gen Z.

Problem is the Z’ers don’t wantca pony car. New Supra, New Z, BRZ’s civic type R’s Bmw M series..... these are what the want and are being revamped or reintroduced.

New kids on the block want american trucks and foreign cars.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote