Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #57
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
The only evolutional debate on the C8 thus far is the tragic lack of a manual transmission. Though the C7 manual take rate was close to 29%, GM chose to cater to the majority who can’t drive a manual. UnknownJinx and I have seen the “debate” over there and it’s snide and nasty. Some debating that the DCT is a manual trans (Facepalm).

I can get the actual MT / AT breakdown sometime Tuesday. I know it’s way lower than 29%.

As far as the DCT being a manual...let’s just say they are very closely related. Notice that the performance DCTs in C8 and GT500 are made by Tremec, not ZF or Aisin. What else does Tremec make? They can use the same shaft and gear manufacturing equipment to manufacture most of the DCT.

If you look at a schematic of an AT, an MT, and a DCT, the DCT and the MT will look very much alike in design and part content. They are both layshaft designs. Most ATs (except Honda and early Saturns) are planetary design. Funny that some Saturns were not planetary (<—humor).

Basically, a DCT is an MT that shifts itself. It evolved from AMTs that were automated manual transmissions sold in South America and Eastern Europe. Thing is, they typically had a single clutch. Hondas, until very recently, and early Saturns had more refined AMTs than the ones used in South America and Eastern Europe.

Setting it up so that even gears were on one input shaft and odd gears were on another input shaft and then putting a clutch on each shaft is where the name comes from. Doing that allowed for having the next gear already in place and improved the shift speed dramatically. That’s why they first became popular with exotic sports cars.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #58
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Ready or not, would that really be a good thing?

Like, naming aside, why can't there be enough room left in the model lineup for vehicles that aren't SUVs/CUVs or trucks?

Norm
Those aren’t selling right now.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Those aren’t selling right now.
Not in big quantity isn't the same thing as none at all.

Ford started eliminating North American sedan models while they were still selling several hundred thousand (total of four model lines) every year. Which seems like enough reason to hang onto one sedan model somewhere in the middle, separate from the ponycar Mustang.

Norm
Old 02-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #60
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Not in big quantity isn't the same thing as none at all.

Ford started eliminating North American sedan models while they were still selling several hundred thousand (total of four model lines) every year. Which seems like enough reason to hang onto one sedan model somewhere in the middle, separate from the ponycar Mustang.

Norm
But you have to take into account the segment the vehicle is sold in as well as other vehicles in the portfolio that can contribute to share. When Ford decided to axe Fusion, it was still selling more than a hundred thousand a year. But it was trending down. Not drawing the type of volume Accord and Camry were drawing. Ford could have kept it, just as GM kept Malibu (for now) which sells even less. That’s just a question of whether in addition to a noticeable reduction in sales, was Fusion making money.

For Camaro, it made sense since it shared platform with Cadillac sedans and helped reduce their costs. When they go electric (by 2025) one key factor for Camaro remaining is gone.

For Corvette, the scale of the operation is such that it can still make money in the 40 - 60,000/yr rate. Fusion probably needed to be in the 200,000 a year range and Alpha (Cadillacs plus Camaro) probably needed to be in the 125 - 150,000 range to support the manufacturing infrastructure (Lansing plant plus suppliers).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #61
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
GM can crank out about 60,000 Corvettes a year. GM can crank out about 300,000 Equinox / Terrain a year. True they make more money on each Corvette, but they make money on Equinox / Terrain, so the total per brand falls in favor of Equinox / Terrain.
60,000? GM has never produced that many Corvettes in a single model year. Ever. Even in a debut and 2nd MY of a new generation Corvette they haven’t produced more than 35k since the mid 80’s.

https://www.corvsport.com/corvette-sales-volume-year/
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #62
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
60,000? GM has never produced that many Corvettes in a single model year. Ever. Even in a debut and 2nd MY of a new generation Corvette they haven’t produced more than 35k since the mid 80’s.

I agree the numbers would most likely average out more in the lower 20,000 a year since production started on Corvettes however, your website is not accurate. I owned a 2004 Corvette and production was closer to 34,064 produced not the 2897 listed on the site you provided.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #63
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree the numbers would most likely average out more in the lower 20,000 a year since production started on Corvettes however, your website is not accurate. I owned a 2004 Corvette and production was closer to 34,064 produced not the 2897 listed on the site you provided.
I blame Google.
Attached Images

Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #64
Memphis SS

Quote:
Most real-Mustang owners agree.

The bigger problem is that hanging the Mustang name on this E thing apparently came from Jim Farley, who as you may know was moved up to CEO last fall upon Jim Hackett's departure . . .

Fixed. The Mustang II eventually got a V8.

Norm
I don’t think that fixed it.

I went to the Mustang 40th Anniversary birthday bash that was held in Nashville Tennessee. The Mustang guys did not even recognize the Mustang II. They had them off in a little corner all by themselves and did not acknowledge their existence. Ford would’ve been better off taking a page from the Chevrolet playbook and stopping production then to put that piece of junk out.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #65
Memphis SS

Quote:
I blame Google.
LOL.. you get a pass

Old 02-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #66
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
They knew this thing would be a stretch from the beginning, which is why I think they slapped the Horsey on it. Hell... by the amount of Mustang’s I see around my area Ford must sell one per hour.

Couldn’t agree more with the statement that it waters down muscle car history. (Mustang II lol).
Car and Driver recently gave the Mach-E a somewhat middling review in it's latest issue.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #67
Kemo Savy
Banned

Drives: Make it a 6 speed in SS trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
This ain’t for the pony crowd. It’s for the tesla crowd. Younger buyers will flock to this and they’re using a name that people know.

The 2dr v8 is dying. We that appreciate it are a very small segment who don’t really matter. It is however smart marketing by Ford to evolve. Give a gen z’er a electric car that’ll do 0-60 in4-5 seconds and they’ll take all day over the Camaro.

Most Mustang, Camaro and challenger drivers are over 35. When the cars we love die out well either hang on too are old ones or adapt to an E car.

Chevy sold less tha 30k camaro’s... how many of those V8’s? Maybe 10,000? The v4/6 crowd will easily accept other cars.

Car companies are not gonna cater to that small of a segment.

I don’t see it as a Mustang

I’m not defending the Mach E..... not a fan.

But those who think it’s bad to take a car with an iconic name that will disappear as we know and appreciate it and re imagine it..... well maybe a reason why we don’t own car companies.

I also think the Blazer is ugly as the mach E and those sold over 100,000......

They gotta adapt, evolve or die.

And before you’ll wanna get mad at me I may one day have to drive an electric car everyday but i’ll always have Veronica in my garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy coming out with a new model called the Chevy E-Velle SS.😂😁
Kemo Savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #68
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Savy View Post
Chevy coming out with a new model called the Chevy E-Velle SS.😂😁
Yes...I also heard Mary Bara will be eliminating the gas powered Corvette and will be replacing it with a new electric version and will call it the... Chevy E-Vette.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #69
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Yes...I also heard Mary Bara will be eliminating the gas powered Corvette and will be replacing it with a new electric version and will call it the... Chevy E-Vette.
Rumor is it is the E Ray, and it won’t kill the ICE version, but ultimately enhance it for the 1,000 HP Zora.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #70
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

I’m talking capacity, not actual production. With added shifts the plant could probably do 60k.