Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
New Ford Motor- Megazilla?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-ann...164900481.html

First off, what a stupid name. I guess it's still a better crate motor than what we have to look forward to:

Old 12-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Yep. Mopar win for name creativity.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Stupid names not withstanding, I want one of those 7.3 gassers to swap into my 1992 Bronco...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Somebody give Ford a pat on the back for finally figuring out that an engine can be bigger than 5 liters.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
I have one in my 2020 F-250. It's coupled to a 10 speed. The thing is phenomenal.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
GM also has the 6.6 in their 2500 and 3500. Its direct injected like the 6.2. I think some guys are already hot rodding the 7.3. Its a big boy for sure.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
With FCA shoving the Challenger 392 Hemi under the hood of the Wrangler, Ford is gonna HAVE to offer this motor in the Bronco. Offering only the base turbo 4 and V6 engines are not going to cut it now.

In case some people haven't noticed, there's a good reason FCA is doing that: there's money to be made in it, and they know they've been loosing out on it for a while. Places like Collins Brothers (Dennis Collins) Jeep in Texas have been doing big business puting big V8s into Jeeps that were never intended to have one for years now. FCA is getting in on that, and Ford is gonna need to offer it or else that money will go to the aftermarkets on the Bronco too.

In fact I bet there's already people with Broncos ordered at the dealer, the 7.3 ordered as a crate, and as soon as they come in someone somewhere will be doing the conversion before the first miles are put on.

Meanwhile GM is just off in LA LA land thinking everything is peachy slapping the Blazer name back on a front wheel drive based, unibody soccer mom grocery getter.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
With FCA shoving the Challenger 392 Hemi under the hood of the Wrangler, Ford is gonna HAVE to offer this motor in the Bronco. Offering only the base turbo 4 and V6 engines are not going to cut it now.

In case some people haven't noticed, there's a good reason FCA is doing that: there's money to be made in it, and they know they've been loosing out on it for a while. Places like Collins Brothers (Dennis Collins) Jeep in Texas have been doing big business puting big V8s into Jeeps that were never intended to have one for years now. FCA is getting in on that, and Ford is gonna need to offer it or else that money will go to the aftermarkets on the Bronco too.

In fact I bet there's already people with Broncos ordered at the dealer, the 7.3 ordered as a crate, and as soon as they come in someone somewhere will be doing the conversion before the first miles are put on.

Meanwhile GM is just off in LA LA land thinking everything is peachy slapping the Blazer name back on a front wheel drive based, unibody soccer mom grocery getter.
An LT4, 5, whatever, in a AWD Tahoe would sell, providing GM didn’t screw it up some how.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Ford is gonna HAVE to offer this motor in the Bronco. Offering only the base turbo 4 and V6 engines are not going to cut it now.

LMAO a 7.3L V8 in a midsize truck chassis, sounds awesome I'm sure they'll get right on it. Probably call you up for engineering expertise. I'm sure they learned thier lesson with all of those Raptors they couldn't move... oh, wait. LMAO!
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
LMAO a 7.3L V8 in a midsize truck chassis, sounds awesome I'm sure they'll get right on it. Probably call you up for engineering expertise. I'm sure they learned thier lesson with all of those Raptors they couldn't move... oh, wait. LMAO!
Call Collins Brothers Jeep up right now. Tell them you want a Wrangler with a 392 installed. See how long they tell you the waiting list is. If it’s anything less than 6 months I’ll be shocked.

Seriously. Do it and get back to me.

I’m not f’ing around either. Call them. Seriously.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
An LT4, 5, whatever, in a AWD Tahoe would sell, providing GM didn’t screw it up some how.
While it would be cool I don’t think it would be worth GM’s time and wouldn’t be a big seller.

One of the highest selling SUVs on the market is the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Trackhawk is a very low volume seller.

Plus the Tahoe is already on average a $65,000 vehicle now add the additional cost of Bemba brakes, motor, suspension and top it off with the federal gas guzzler tax now you’re over $100,000.00 on a SUV. Don’t think that is going to move off the lot very fast. IMHO
Old 12-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Memphis SS

Quote:
Call Collins Brothers Jeep up right now. Tell them you want a Wrangler with a 392 installed. See how long they tell you the waiting list is. If it’s anything less than 6 months I’ll be shocked.

Seriously. Do it and get back to me.

I’m not f’ing around either. Call them. Seriously.
I agree, I’m sure they have a 6 month back log but, they are a nat compared to GM and their numbers are still very small compared to what GM would consider a good production run. I do think it would be cool but remember people here on the forum don’t give a good representation of the market. Heck look at just in colors..LOL. Everyone was talking about how great the Green was on the Camaro then it was dropped after one year because of poor sales.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 12-07-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Changed mind on posting
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree, I’m sure they have a 6 month back log but, they are a nat compared to GM and their numbers are still very small compared to what GM would consider a good production run. I do think it would be cool but remember people here on the forum don’t give a good representation of the market. Heck look at just in colors..LOL. Everyone was talking about how great the Green was on the Camaro then it was dropped after one year because of poor sales.
What I was just tying to convey to him that since dealers like his and a few others around the country have been putting big V8s into little Jeep’s for years, and making a lot of money doing it, FCA finally realized “hey, why don’t we just do that ourselves at the factory and get that money ourselves?”..... a sort of light bulb moment for them.

So now that Ford is bringing back the Bronco and have this new 7.3 engine, I am certain people are already making their plans to install it into the Bronco.

It doesn’t have to sell a bazillion - the cost of low production can be made up in the sticker price as I’m sure Dennis Collins ain’t doin a 392 conversion on a Jeep for peanuts.

People will pay for it.

FCA had the engine and the parts already so it’s easy for them to do.

Same with Ford.

There is an excellent business case here to make it pay for Ford, even if it’s low production. Big margins to be had for every order of a Bronco with the 7.3. They could charge $15k on top of the top of the line V6 with all the options and the people who wanted it anyway will still buy it.

As far as his example of the Raptor is concerned, well, RAM has the TRX in the 1500 now. With the Hellcat engine. And every one of those built can’t stay stocked at dealers even with a $92k sticker.

There’s plenty of money in this if you do it right..... maybe Ford just wasn’t doing the old Raptor right.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
Memphis SS

Quote:
What I was just tying to convey to him that since dealers like his and a few others around the country have been putting big V8s into little Jeep’s for years, and making a lot of money doing it, FCA finally realized “hey, why don’t we just do that ourselves at the factory and get that money ourselves?”..... a sort of light bulb moment for them.

So now that Ford is bringing back the Bronco and have this new 7.3 engine, I am certain people are already making their plans to install it into the Bronco.

It doesn’t have to sell a bazillion - the cost of low production can be made up in the sticker price as I’m sure Dennis Collins ain’t doin a 392 conversion on a Jeep for peanuts.

People will pay for it.

FCA had the engine and the parts already so it’s easy for them to do.

Same with Ford.

There is an excellent business case here to make it pay for Ford, even if it’s low production. Big margins to be had for every order of a Bronco with the 7.3. They could charge $15k on top of the top of the line V6 with all the options and the people who wanted it anyway will still buy it.

As far as his example of the Raptor is concerned, well, RAM has the TRX in the 1500 now. With the Hellcat engine. And every one of those built can’t stay stocked at dealers even with a $92k sticker.

There’s plenty of money in this if you do it right..... maybe Ford just wasn’t doing the old Raptor right.
Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you are saying, BUT.. Dennis Collins is a very small company compared to GM and for him, it is a good market with the volume he likes to handle. GM while they may make money there has to be some volume to make it worth their wild. Heck look at the Camaro, there are concerns about if we will see a GEN7 Camaro because of slow sales and GM is still making money on the model.

I like the idea but again it's not only the cost. You put an LT4 with that heavy of a ride it will be just like the ZL1 and will have a gas guzzler tax and have an EPA of about 12mpg which by the way killed the ford Lighting back in the day.