Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
GM said cars will be at dealers in the 4Q of 2015 ones with the 2.0 in 1Q, look for the convertibles end of 2Q or right after that, good news is this week they will show the car to dealers, and IMO they will get there ordering info soon after, think orders will start to go in some time in September, if they want them out for SEMA they need to move fast.

I think you will have a 1LE in a 2017 car and a ZL1 the year after, with a Z/28 in the last 2+ years of this GEN6 car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Just to throw something completely different out there. How about resurrecting the Berlinetta? Give it all the available options and either the LF3 or LF4 engine. That way they could test the waters around a TTV6 as a higher-end trim.
I'm gonna guess that shortly after the V-8 1LE and ZL1s are out there, it will be time for something different, indeed.

The twin turbo V-6 that exists is the one engine in the stable that currently hasn't found a home in the Camaro line-up....

The Ford GT will soon be making news with it's V-6, and a high-end, track car, turbo V-6 from Camaro will be a good re-action....We won't see a v-6 in the Corvette, (they nixed that idea earlier)....a super-light weight screaming turbo V-6 Camaro may show up.

It may also depend how well the V-6 sells in relation to the I-4. With the undoubtedly modded I-4s that will be running around soon that may push Chevy to bump up it's game with a turbo v-6 to stay well ahead of the I-4....just my $.02
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Why is everyone all about this twin turbo V6? Because ford is putting one in their GT? Because it exists? It makes less than 500 hp / lb/ft. Because of the modding potential? Why not ask for a 500+hp NA V8? Or a turbo V8? Very, VERY few people are going to mod their turbo 4s (enthusiasts, yeah, probably; the average person who buys a turbo 4, absolutely not) so Chevy will have no need to worry about making a turbo V6. I don't get it.

While we're at it, it needs a twin turbo V6, weigh 3100 lbs, AWD, and have a DCT. Only then will the camaro be a good car. Also a 4 door option with good rear leg room is a must. And a hatch variant as well. With t-tops. And have excellent visibility, while not compromising styling, while looking like a completely new generation, but also have a lot of cues from the older generations. And look nothing (and I mean literally nothing) like anything else on the road. With taillights that everyone likes.

xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Why is everyone all about this twin turbo V6? Because ford is putting one in their GT? Because it exists? It makes less than 500 hp / lb/ft. Because of the modding potential? Why not ask for a 500+hp NA V8? Or a turbo V8? Very, VERY few people are going to mod their turbo 4s (enthusiasts, yeah, probably; the average person who buys a turbo 4, absolutely not) so Chevy will have no need to worry about making a turbo V6. I don't get it.

Basically, GM has two TTV6s already in production. While I would love to see a TTV8, at this point GM doesn't have one in production. GM is looking forward to regulatory environments that will likely be in place a decade for now, not just 2016. Introducing a turbo 4 is part of that strategy, and adding a TTV6 may be part of a future strategy. A TTV8 maybe as well. However, IMHO if the turbo 4 goes well, then adding a TTV6 into the mix may allow GM to:

1) Bring aboard customers they really haven't had before
2) Prepare the Camaro traditionalists for things that are going to be changing over the next decade.

Those that want a 450 HP/TQ V8 have one and they don't have to buy anything else. Allowing GM to explore other power trains doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
So,xgnxs, did you completely bite the tip off your tongue when you finished your second paragraph or did you just run out of ideas?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #20
shakooza

Drives: Car
I think its a mistake for Chevy to not offer some level of track pack year #1...
shakooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakooza View Post
I think its a mistake for Chevy to not offer some level of track pack year #1...
Didn't they say the Gen 6 SS is already out performing the Gen 5 SS 1LE? Isn't that a "track pack" ready to roll?
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I would be all in for a TTV8. Not so much for the TTV6. Especially for a Z28 or performance model. They need to stay true and keep the V8 for those applications

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #23
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakooza View Post
They have magnetic ride control available. Who's to say they won't name it "Magnetic Ride Track option". They already have enough options available to out perform the current mustang track pack. It makes more sense to save anything else for a 1LE model.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
They have magnetic ride control available. Who's to say they won't name it "Magnetic Ride Track option". They already have enough options available to out perform the current mustang track pack. It makes more sense to save anything else for a 1LE model.
They probably won't name it 'Magnetic Ride Track option' because MR shocks are mostly about improving ride quality, not handling. It improves handling too, don't get me wrong. Its just that the reason why its on so many well handling cars is to prevent those cars from having a punishing ride on normal streets. Normally, when an automaker wants to make something perform great, they give it stiffer shocks (among other things). This hurts ride quality, which tends to require softly damped shocks. An MR shock gives a car both, and can change on the fly. It also helps to limit body roll (as well as squat & dive), which are mostly ride quality issues as opposed to performance issues.

And just what options have they announced that are available on the 2016 Camaro SS that will improve performance? There are the MR shocks which help a little. The brake & tire upgrades seem to be exclusive to the LT cars. But besides that, I haven't heard of any performance options for the new SS.

Lastly, since it seems to require repetition ... there has never been a 1LE model. Its just an option box that you tick to get a few goodies to make the car a bit quicker around a road course.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #25

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

And just what options have they announced that are available on the 2016 Camaro SS that will improve performance? There are the MR shocks which help a little. The brake & tire upgrades seem to be exclusive to the LT cars. But besides that, I haven't heard of any performance options for the new SS.
How about air ducts for brake cooling?.....Extra oil coolers.... heat extractors on hood and rear spoiler and grille design for more downforce?....All the lighter weight and composite suspension parts?....Upgraded Brembo brakes?...Track Mode?.....Maybe more?....I would call those performance improvers over just ride quality...

Or perhaps they are standard on the SS, and not options?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #26
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
if the 2016 SS beat to the 1LE 5th "track package"
so how we call the new SS with MRC, LT1, a lightweight platform, with auxiliary engine cooler and transmission cooler.? many of these things are called as a Track Performance Package on LT. so the old 1LE is no more a track car? or we just need a new badge (1LE or whatever) on the SS?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALEX View Post
if the 2016 SS beat to the 1LE 5th "track package"
so how we call the new SS with MRC, LT1, a lightweight platform, with auxiliary engine cooler and transmission cooler.? many of these things are called as a Track Performance Package on LT. so the old 1LE is no more a track car? or we just need a new badge (1LE or whatever) on the SS?
Not sure I follow you, but yes the 6gen SS is faster around the track than the 2015 1LE. That in itself is very impressive. The new SS will have optional MRC which I'm sure was used on the 6gen SS that was faster than the 15 1LE. Next year or two we will see a track focused camaro and a high horsepower camaro as well.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #28
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Not sure I follow you, but yes the 6gen SS is faster around the track than the 2015 1LE. That in itself is very impressive. The new SS will have optional MRC which I'm sure was used on the 6gen SS that was faster than the 15 1LE. Next year or two we will see a track focused camaro and a high horsepower camaro as well.
I agree, but I guess the SS 6 gen will be close to 2015 ZL1 and the next focused track camaro should beat the Z/28