Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I've installed this today, thank you very much Trochoidal for the install guide. Went through the radiator cover and dropped the hood latch without detaching the front bumper, which is a nuisance whether or not the wheels are removed.

Fitment is very good, it took a while to wiggle this plastic concoction into place, but once it's there, one can see that it'll do its job fine and won't go anywhere. Looks good, too.

The test drive didn't show any power or other difference, which was to be expected. Maybe a bit more of intake sound via the Roto-Fab, but it's hard to tell, the placebo factor is real (heh) and the difference, if any, is not striking. I will do some cooldown velocity testing once the weather reaches 80-85°, since that's what I have data logs from and I'd like the comparison to be fair.

One small tip: I put a strip of one-sided molding tape on the section that butts up to the diagonal crossbeam so the air duct wouldn't rub directly against the paint or slip away, given the bolts can't be tightened too much, this thing is just plastic.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #16
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampau123 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but... you’re not going to gain speed at the same rpm in same gear with mods. Gear ratios are gear ratios more power will just get you there faster.
There’s more to meet the eye than basic transmission gear ratios, differential gear and tire diameter. If my car was an M6, I wouldn’t care about MPH. However, since I’m an A8, I wanted to monitor MPH.

I logged no less than 3 pulls per modification before coming to any conclusions.

So what I noticed as I logged each modification, was the RPM drop between gear changes became less. My take away is the car was being “driven” more as the lag between gear changes decreased. It’s fair to say that explains the MPH increase especially since I wasn’t where I should’ve been “mechanically” at the top of 3rd gear.

The A8 has a maximum 3rd gear MPH of 87 at 6210 with the tires I have on the car now and at the time of logging. As you can see from my first log MPH wasn’t 87.

My car was that much of a pig!

Source used for calculations.

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #17
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I've installed this today, thank you very much Trochoidal for the install guide. Went through the radiator cover and dropped the hood latch without detaching the front bumper, which is a nuisance whether or not the wheels are removed.

Fitment is very good, it took a while to wiggle this plastic concoction into place, but once it's there, one can see that it'll do its job fine and won't go anywhere. Looks good, too.

The test drive didn't show any power or other difference, which was to be expected. Maybe a bit more of intake sound via the Roto-Fab, but it's hard to tell, the placebo factor is real (heh) and the difference, if any, is not striking. I will do some cooldown velocity testing once the weather reaches 80-85°, since that's what I have data logs from and I'd like the comparison to be fair.

One small tip: I put a strip of one-sided molding tape on the section that butts up to the diagonal crossbeam so the air duct wouldn't rub directly against the paint or slip away, given the bolts can't be tightened too much, this thing is just plastic.
You’re welcome!

I’ll take a look at that diagonal crossbeam and give it the same attention.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #18
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I installed mine tonight as well, if was fairly easy and straightforward besides doing it at night with little light.

Hood latch wasn't too bad, I actually losely installed it (as lose as possible) before the the radiator cover so that the bolts were already in place.

I didn't read your write up on this thread, read one of the other ones and I forgot to measuer the hood bump stops or the radiator cover height adjustment screws, but got lucky when I winged it and slapped it back together. Should have referenced this one but lost track with all the velossatech install write ups recently lol

As far as the fitment, I wasn't pleased initially as it wasn't reaching the headlight assembly and had a big gap between the ram air and headlight, but I tinkered with it and got it pushed down and towards the light where it mated up to the headlight housing and the rubber pice near the stock intake opening kind of behind the headlight housing. I didnt tuck it under the rubber like you, the velossatech went over the rubber. Seems like arpad might have done the same judging from his picture.

I didn't have any of the rubber screw cover plugs that you mentioned, mine didn't come with any.
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 04-26-2020 at 01:19 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I installed mine yesterday, and decided to do the front bumper removal, as I also wanted to clean out the leaves, bugs, rocks etc....I even found a piece of rubber marble in there, must have been from the track runs.

Anyway, I watched a few videos on YT, which showed which screws to remove...I ended up removing 8 screws holding the fender liner as oppose to only three. My arms could not get in there with only three screws removed and I didn't want to kink the liner.

Overall the front bumper removal was pretty easy, you just need to deal with a lot of screws nothing very difficult. I think the most difficult part was disconnecting the light harness on the driver's side.
The entire time from QJ set up to washing up was about 4.0 hrs being I had to remove the bumper twice...damn light harness!

The Big Mouth went on very easily and I was able to get it up against the light housing nice and snug. Fitment is good and solid, with the access I had, I was able to tighten it down pretty tight without cracking the product. And with the locking nuts used, I don't think it will be backing out.

Tip: Use the paper towel trick for the sockets to reach the top screws when reassembling, and have a universal knuckle extension on hand.
I used 1/4" drive for easier access.
And don't forget to connect the light harness on the driver's side during reassembling!
Who said getting old was fun!

For the test drive, did not notice anything, not even sound, then again my exhaust is loud...LOL!
Which was expected however, those leaves that were stuck in my grill will not bother me now when I wash my car!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #20
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
I installed mine yesterday, and decided to do the front bumper removal, as I also wanted to clean out the leaves, bugs, rocks etc....I even found a piece of rubber marble in there, must have been from the track runs.

Anyway, I watched a few videos on YT, which showed which screws to remove...I ended up removing 8 screws holding the fender liner as oppose to only three. My arms could not get in there with only three screws removed and I didn't want to kink the liner.

Overall the front bumper removal was pretty easy, you just need to deal with a lot of screws nothing very difficult. I think the most difficult part was disconnecting the light harness on the driver's side.
The entire time from QJ set up to washing up was about 4.0 hrs being I had to remove the bumper twice...damn light harness!

The Big Mouth went on very easily and I was able to get it up against the light housing nice and snug. Fitment is good and solid, with the access I had, I was able to tighten it down pretty tight without cracking the product. And with the locking nuts used, I don't think it will be backing out.

Tip: Use the paper towel trick for the sockets to reach the top screws when reassembling, and have a universal knuckle extension on hand.
I used 1/4" drive for easier access.
And don't forget to connect the light harness on the driver's side during reassembling!
Who said getting old was fun!

For the test drive, did not notice anything, not even sound, then again my exhaust is loud...LOL!
Which was expected however, those leaves that were stuck in my grill will not bother me now when I wash my car!
I was wanting to remove the bumper for the same reasons, clean out the heat exchangers a little and to have better and easier access for fitment, but it was nightime and I got lazy lol.

Did you remove your splitter as well or just took it all off in one piece?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #21
Clos.95

Drives: Black 1SS
Can’t wait to install mine, just got it thru the mail, I will be pairing it with a Rotofab Dry, and all Pray Ported stock stuff, I’m curious if anyone thinks I’ll need a retune for these mods ?
Clos.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #22
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos.95 View Post
Can’t wait to install mine, just got it thru the mail, I will be pairing it with a Rotofab Dry, and all Pray Ported stock stuff, I’m curious if anyone thinks I’ll need a retune for these mods ?
I'm gonna keep a close eye. I have a similar setup and was wanting to add the Velosso.
From what I understand no tune needed but when you do tune it the adds you have will really help the numbers.
The ported intake added to the ported TB give mine the biggest noticable power jump yet.
I'm hoping the Velosso can help even a little till the tune.
Again...keep me posted.
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #23
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
most likely will need a tune. the pray ported stock tb & intake manifold gave me a p1400 after a couple hundred miles. i ended up not using the tb bc it only made .2 hp more on the dyno. the tuner was able to make the accelerator respond how i wanted without the ported tb.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #24
DaggerMouth

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Should be fine. I am currently Ram air, ported TB/IM and I am having no issues with codes. I have a rotofab on the way so Ill keep you updated. I will bet getting 2" headers soon so I will have to tune it shortly.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I was wanting to remove the bumper for the same reasons, clean out the heat exchangers a little and to have better and easier access for fitment, but it was nightime and I got lazy lol.

Did you remove your splitter as well or just took it all off in one piece?
I did not need to remove the splitter, just all the small screws about 8 iirc.
I think what made it easier was removing the additional screws on the fender liner.
Another mistake I made was having the car face the sunlight. It made it difficult to see the screws inside the bumper cover to remove. My headlamp (around my head like miners light) helped, but it was still difficult with the sun shinning at me...have your back at the sun would have been the wise thing to do.
Again, not difficult, just a lot of screws. If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
So far I see no one excited and enthusiastic about the performance. I'll pass.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #27
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
How long did you guys have to wait before receiving the item after ordering it?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #28
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw36 View Post
How long did you guys have to wait before receiving the item after ordering it?
I recall a little over two weeks. Booher ordered his within a day of me so maybe he will chime in too.

Last edited by Trochoidal; 04-30-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Typo