Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
RapidRobbiesRS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Power upgrades...Where do I start?

Hey! New to the forum, long time Camaro enthusiast. I'm probably gonna get alot of opinions on this one so here goes:

I'm looking to do some power upgrades and after a ton of research (here and on the web) I'm still at a loss of where to start. Guess the first thing to establish is the wanted end result. I know i can get 350 RWP out of this thing just not sure the best way to go about it. (i.e. different mod combos and the such) I am the second owner and as far as I can tell there are no mods done at all. Still stock. Although the exhaust sounds ALOT different than most of the 2.0's I see. I'm not sure what that is all about....? I do know it's not a down pipe upgrade. I also want better throttle response and a transmission that actually shifts when I use the paddles instead of that annoying lag.
Budget is not really an obstacle, but I will say that anything I do will not be done all at once.
Suggestions on what to do, what to start with and what to do moving forward after that?
RapidRobbiesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
whatever you do, please leave the stock cats on it.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Check out in the I4 Turbo LTG engine, exhaust and bolt on section in this forum. You maybe able to get some ideas from the threads and postings there.��
Old 05-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Best bang for your buck seeing as budget is not an obstacle is to trade it in for an SS or ZL1.
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I just can’t wrap my mind around why someone would buy the 2.0 and then want to spend a bunch of money to get more power. By the time you’re done throwing money at it, you might as well have bought an SS. Is it insurance rates? Gas mileage? Please someone explain this to me because I’m a little confused. The 2.0 are great Camaros, and the power they can get out that 4 cylinder is pretty amazing. I just can’t see the rationale behind spending that kind of money to get more power that will likely still not be near the stock hp of an SS. Most people buy the 2.0 because they like the styling of the Camaro, but don’t feel they need the power of the V8. Bot being critical, just not seeing the purpose. With that said...my suggestion would be to install 4 more cylinders.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I just can’t wrap my mind around why someone would buy the 2.0 and then want to spend a bunch of money to get more power. By the time you’re done throwing money at it, you might as well have bought an SS. Is it insurance rates? Gas mileage? Please someone explain this to me because I’m a little confused. The 2.0 are great Camaros, and the power they can get out that 4 cylinder is pretty amazing. I just can’t see the rationale behind spending that kind of money to get more power that will likely still not be near the stock hp of an SS. Most people buy the 2.0 because they like the styling of the Camaro, but don’t feel they need the power of the V8. Bot being critical, just not seeing the purpose. With that said...my suggestion would be to install 4 more cylinders.
Everyone has their own choice of what they want. Not saying your wrong, but the 2.0turbo can show very impressive numbers with lesser $$$ put into it.
I personally would rather feel boost than feel n/a power. I would've purchased the LT1 of all choices offered. The SS is a bad mofo and sound beautiful, but I love seeing people's eyes get big when they hear the spool off of the 2.0. The bad is that GM originally put out when the 5th gen camaro, the affordable v8 for 30k, not spending 40k or above for a daily driver and long commutes. 40k just seems a bit much in my book.

Just saying, not bragging or anything, I personally l ok ve the ltg!
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty31 View Post
Best bang for your buck seeing as budget is not an obstacle is to trade it in for an SS or ZL1.
I don't want to trade.
I have a budget to upgrade my car, not go get another one. I just want something that looks great (got it) and has a little more get up and go (need to get it).
You're right, I could go and trade it in, but how is trading in for a SS or ZL1 the best bang for my buck when I can do what I want, TO THE CAR I HAVE, for a few thousand bucks?
Oh yeah, and I wont be paying some ridiculous insurance or personal property tax bills either....
Old 05-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Check out in the I4 Turbo LTG engine, exhaust and bolt on section in this forum. You maybe able to get some ideas from the threads and postings there.��
I'll check it out LT4Greg.
Thanks
Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Everyone has their own choice of what they want. Not saying your wrong, but the 2.0turbo can show very impressive numbers with lesser $$$ put into it.
I personally would rather feel boost than feel n/a power. I would've purchased the LT1 of all choices offered. The SS is a bad mofo and sound beautiful, but I love seeing people's eyes get big when they hear the spool off of the 2.0. The bad is that GM originally put out when the 5th gen camaro, the affordable v8 for 30k, not spending 40k or above for a daily driver and long commutes. 40k just seems a bit much in my book.

Just saying, not bragging or anything, I personally l ok ve the ltg!
Well said Davecamaro,
It certainly won't take the amount of money to get the 350 WHP (not RWP in my first post..duh) I want with my 2.0L as it would to trade up to a 2019 ZL1! I have no need or want for that much attention.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Im sure he has reasons he bought a 2.0. He asked for opinions on his current car. If he wanted to trade for an ss or zl1 he would have. Instead of asking those questions, lead him on the right track. As someone else stated, I would go to the section on here where others bought the 2.0 turbo. You'll get a bunch of ideas there.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
Im sure he has reasons he bought a 2.0. He asked for opinions on his current car. If he wanted to trade for an ss or zl1 he would have. Instead of asking those questions, lead him on the right track. As someone else stated, I would go to the section on here where others bought the 2.0 turbo. You'll get a bunch of ideas there.
Thanks Yellow Beast.
As I said, I'm new to this forum but not others. I know how it goes. The 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum I thought would be the place to start. Didn't know there was one here just for the "little guys", but I will check it out and I will certainly listen to any ideas people have in this thread!

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
I wouldn't say its just for the "little guys". You can post anywhere on here. There are many different types of threads on here. For example you can find threads that talk about the color of your car and what others are doing with that color car and get ideas. I personally dont have much experience with the 2.0. Welcome to the forum. Ask anything. You will get answers.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. I'm an SS guy myself. But I have some ideas for your upgrades. You stated you just want some more oomph, not huge power.
(1) Cold air intake
(2) throttle body porting and/or throttle controller.
(3) A handheld tuner with a canned tune for mild bump.
(4)Boost controller
I think you would be surprised by how much "seat of the pants" feel this would give to your Camaro! Good luck.

Last edited by Jb54; 05-07-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
Hi. I'm an SS guy myself. But I have some ideas for your upgrades. You stated you just want some more oomph, not huge power.
(1) Cold air intake
(2) throttle body porting and/or throttle controller.
(3) A handheld tuner with a canned tune for mild bump.
(4)Boost controller
I think you would be surprised by how much "seat of the pants" feel this would give to your Camaro! Good luck.
Thanks Jb54,
Yeah, more oomph. I would like to get to around 350 WHP. Do you think I can get there with just these mods?
What manufacturers would you recommend for 2-4? I like the AFE CAI's and think I'm gonna go that route. Not sure about the other stuff. When you say "canned tune" do you mean one that is more or less just plug and play as opposed to a full custom tune? What do you think about a ZZP catless downpipe as well?