Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 09-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #15
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Thank you. At least someone gets it. 95% of mechanics out there do not torque wheels down. I've had lugnuts on soo tight I had to put a length of pipe on the ratchet and damn near jump on it to crack em loose. I've never ever not once had this problem nor have I ever seen it. I'm thinking it's just low quality material being used.
Most good shops will have torque sticks that go on the impact gun between the gun and socket.

They are pretty accurate.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #16
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Most good shops will have torque sticks that go on the impact gun between the gun and socket.

Yes I've used those back when I was a mechanic. However I can assure you that in all my years when I was a mechanic and in all the shops I worked back then, I was the only one who used those things along with a torque wrench. I've never seen anyone else use them. And even I eventually gave up on using them. Lately I have not even seen them in shops.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post

Still tho, at most I've seen lugnuts on soo tight that you had to use penetrating oil and some lengthy pipe to break them. I've never seen it to where the lugnuts sheared off with the stud part still attached. And for damn sure not 3 of them on 1 wheel. Add that IF this was the case then these wheels have been on for several months. This is just odd and weird.

Something doesn't add up. Because the wheel ws definitely wobbling like it was loose. But again, the lugnuts sheared off with the stud attached. So the only thing I can think of is perhaps the stud part was somehow loosening up from the hub which made the wheel start to slightly wobble and THAT maybe started to work the lugnut to where it sheared right off. Once I get back I'm gonna inspect the hub and see if there is something I can find. Because no way in hell this was a matter of an overtightened lugnut. I can see 1 of them doing that, maybe 2. But definitely not 3 of them. Something has to be up with the hub.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #18
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
I don't think it's a case of over torquing, rather under torquing. The three may have been loose enough to let the wheel beat them into submission. Thus the wobbling prior to the failure.