Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Help me understand “Launch Control”

Ok everyone have kind of a weird question. About a month ago i tried launch control. It was different…..and as you all may know that setting is only available in “track” mode. But tonight, I tried to launch the car without launch control and just try and “modulate” the RPMs with my foot, but i noticed if i hold the break and hold the gas to the floor the RPMs will hold at 2500 no problem almost like it has a “torque converter”. Is this normal? Because it seemed to launch better without hesitation NOT using launch control but using the other method. Just a side note my LS1 trans am I can modulate the RPMs with brake and gas pedal, even causing the tires to break traction or spin the tires, but it’s a different effect I get out of the two. If that makes sense. Am I noticing that this is a different “correct method” to launch the car? And how is the car determining to hold at 2500 without using launch control? Hope I don’t sound like I’m rambling….
Old 08-20-2021, 04:57 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Your car has an automatic trans so it does indeed have a torque convertor.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
If you are in stabilitrak competition mode (2 presses on trac control button) and are in sport or track mode launch mode is still active without any additional indicator it's on
Old 08-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There's a section in the Owner's Manual that details this information.

I've attached my "cheat sheet" with some information I've collected and found to be helpful for myself. If you scroll to about page 7 of my attachment, you'll find where it details the modes and as you continue, you'll find detail about Launch Control. I apologize about the orientation of the pages, as they're set-up to print easier in Adobe.

Hopefully it's a little helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camaro High Performance Notes v2.pdf (1.41 MB, 297 views)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Your car has an automatic trans so it does indeed have a torque convertor.
Yep I get that part. My trans am was also an automatic, but I could "modulate" or brake torque the transmission to go past 2500 RPMs, on the ZL1 it just stays at those RPMs not breaking the tires loose at all.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Launch control in the ZL1 is crap compared to other vehicles.

It's been proven that the old school method of brake torque is more efficient.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Launch control in the ZL1 is crap compared to other vehicles.

It's been proven that the old school method of brake torque is more efficient.
I understand that, which doesn't answer my question. When I did launch control it was in fact.....crap.....but simply holding the brake and the gas all the way to the floor without being in "launch control" mode is much more efficient....just confused as to why it doesn't break the tires loose since the gas is to the floor like my older LS1 does....
Old 08-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I understand that, which doesn't answer my question. When I did launch control it was in fact.....crap.....but simply holding the brake and the gas all the way to the floor without being in "launch control" mode is much more efficient....just confused as to why it doesn't break the tires loose since the gas is to the floor like my older LS1 does....
Well your "older" Trans AM had an "older" rear end with "older" traction control.

The ZL1 has better traction control and also an eLSD. Good tires also play a role too.

Basically, you are driving a car that is, depending on what year model your T/A was, 20 years newer and has 20 years newer components and software.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Well your "older" Trans AM had an "older" rear end with "older" traction control.

The ZL1 has better traction control and also an eLSD. Good tires also play a role too.

Basically, you are driving a car that is, depending on what year model your T/A was, 20 years newer and has 20 years newer components and software.
I understand that I’m simply asking why it will hold at 2500 RPMs without launch control, is it a setting? Why even have launch control if holding the brake and gas to the floor will hold it at 2500 and works better?
Old 08-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #10
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I understand that I’m simply asking why it will hold at 2500 RPMs without launch control, is it a setting? Why even have launch control if holding the brake and gas to the floor will hold it at 2500 and works better?
Are you trying to launch or do a burn out?

If launch control is active it won’t let you exceed the RPM it’s set to, it’s like a two step that way.

If you’re trying to do a burnout you use the line lock feature. That will lock the front brakes for 15 seconds & let you do your burnout.

But yeah, I think it won’t let you exceed 2500rpm without launch control on or line lock active. Haven’t tried though.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #11
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
If you are giving it gas and it isn't trying to spin the rear tires then you are in launch control mode, try holding the brake pedal with less pressure
Old 08-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #12
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
If you are giving it gas and it isn't trying to spin the rear tires then you are in launch control mode, try holding the brake pedal with less pressure
But I’m not in track mode…