Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 04-22-2021, 03:01 AM   #1
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Parking Brake & M6 & Heat... Oh my

Never really thought about it before until after discovering a 3.5 thou run out on my rear rotors at 15k with the stock Brembo pads. Rear rotors... Not front. Fronts had about 1 - 1.5 thou run out which I would define as almost new as far as wear. Pads all around were worn evenly and IMO perfectly healthy with plenty of life left. No harsh evidence of abuse or malfunction on either pads or rotors.

Brakes were starting to pulse at routine 65-75mph exit ramp decels. After getting the rotors turned it occured to me.

Was the pulsing due to the internal parking brake shoes causing the rotor to cool unevenly when parking the vehicle? When bleeding fluid for the 5.1 swap and braided steel lines I did confirm the bias is indeed towards the front. Maybe 70/30? So why were the rears pulsing? Of course could have been a sub par rear rotor blanks from the factory. Lots of possibilities.

Anyways... It got me questioning my parking routine.

Since its a stick, I dont have many options for parking other than engaging the parking brake.. Or parking brake + leaving it in 2nd, or PB + 2nd + wheel chuck.. Or some combo of these. But who brings a wheel chuck around. I certainly never have.

Additionally, with the parking brake being electronic it always makes me hesitate that maybe.. just maybe.. this time something has gone wrong and it didnt work.. But of course it always does. Just used to a manual pull bar for the PB I suppose.

Just wondering what all you madd ladds do to park your M6's... Or if Im just over thinking something simple.
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
I know from riding motorcycles, that it is possible to warp the front rotors by keeping excessive brake pressure after a complete stop from high speed. For example, exiting a highway off-ramp and waiting at a red light.

Although the the rotors on a motorcycle is way thinner than what you would see on a car, I try to keep just the necessary amount of brake pressure after being completely stopped, in similar situations. I don't know if it makes any difference or not.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I park this car like I have all my manual tranny cars. I leave it in gear and set the parking brake. On level ground and uphill I leave it in 1st. If downhill I leave it in reverse.

I doubt using the parking brake has caused any of your pulsing/vibrating issues.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
You'll know if the park brake doesn't apply. It'll ding like crazy and I think put a message and/or warning light on the dash even if the car is off.

As for the rotor pulsing, I'd guess uneven deposits or hot-spots are the culprit if the rotor hasn't warped due to regular use. I use the park brake and trans in neutral exclusively except for when the rotors are super hot (like coming off a 20-minute track session) and have never had any issues whatsoever. I would also be very surprised if the park brake had the ability to cause enough localized cooling to warp a rotor considering the regular brake pads can't really do that, keeping them applied when hot really only results in the aforementioned uneven deposits.