Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-31-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
BlueStreak91

Drives: 2SS Vert
Autocross tire package question, 2SS 'vert

An introduction first: A long time ago I was an SCCA RoadRacer, AutoXer, and Rally-X competitor and instructor.

I'm not planning on going back to competing, but this new car of mine is so much fun I'd like to put another set of wheels/tires on it, and with the fewest changes possible, go exercise it at an autocross.

What's the best bang for the buck for a wheel/tire set these days? And I really don't care about maximizing width, I don't want to touch the fenders.

Any setup advice?

TIA

22 2SS Vert, RSB, White Stripes over Ceramic White w A10, MRC, NPP, and more (built in Michigan)
71 Chevelle (built in Texas), 05 Yukon XL (built in Texas), 22 Corolla Cross (built in Alabama), and more cars for the kids
BlueStreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if you are going to autocross it and dont care about sizes just do a 19x10.5 305 square setup
Old 03-31-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
BlueStreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
if you are going to autocross it and dont care about sizes just do a 19x10.5 305 square setup

This makes a lot of sense. Got any suggestions for offset and sources? Tirerack has a qty of 1 of these available. Not 1 style, 1 wheel!

22 2SS Vert, RSB, White Stripes over Ceramic White w A10, MRC, NPP, and more (built in Michigan)
71 Chevelle (built in Texas), 05 Yukon XL (built in Texas), 22 Corolla Cross (built in Alabama), and more cars for the kids
Old 03-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak91 View Post
This makes a lot of sense. Got any suggestions for offset and sources? Tirerack has a qty of 1 of these available. Not 1 style, 1 wheel!
From what I have seen, going with the 10.5” people use Apex wheels with 35 offset but to clear the struts with more camber you need a 26mm spacer and longer studs. That or get a 19x11 wheel with 9 offset or close, basically a zl1 1le stock size. That for the front. For rear same size but 35 to 43 offset.

If you don’t want to spend a lot and as you said not getting to involved, I use a cast ZZR wheel , x25 model. It’s 19x 10.75 with 15 offset front and get the same but 35 offset rear. Very inexpensive wheels, not for road courses but autocross is fine. Been using them for six years no issues. At the time we’re like $600 a set, more now but great deal. Falcon or Nanking tires best choice

Bear in mind square tires will push you into potential oversteer, but not sure how the verts behave so that’s trial and error.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup check out apex they have all the info you need tirerack is good for tires but not wheels
Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Check out Apex wheels, they have Camaro specific wheels and can help with fitment.

I'd tend towards a ZL1 1LE wheel setup with 315/30/19 rear and 305/30/19 front Falken RT660s. A square setup would require longer front wheel studs, spacers and a front anti-roll bar for best results as VR Baron mentioned.

Other have gone with SS 1LE size wheel in 19s, you could run the same tires as above or 305 rear/275 front.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
apex race parts makes some good camaro fitments you should check out.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Bear in mind square tires will push you into potential oversteer, but not sure how the verts behave so that’s trial and error.
I have read this too. A square setup is more popular for track days so you can reduce tire costs by rotating front to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd tend towards a ZL1 1LE wheel setup with 315/30/19 rear and 305/30/19 front Falken RT660s. A square setup would require longer front wheel studs, spacers and a front anti-roll bar for best results as VR Baron mentioned.
ZL1 1LE wheels will require strut mod or camber plates (which boot the car out of SCCA stock class if you care) to clear MRC struts , especially with front camber maxed out, but they work with stock wheel studs.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526353
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #9
BlueStreak91

I like the idea of the square 19" setup. If I want to leave the camber stock, and don't want to change studs, what wheel width and offset am I hunting here? Also, in the size range we're talking, what's the most common size? 305/30/19?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
DaveC113

Quote:
I like the idea of the square 19" setup. If I want to leave the camber stock, and don't want to change studs, what wheel width and offset am I hunting here? Also, in the size range we're talking, what's the most common size? 305/30/19?
IMO that won't work out unless you sacrifice on tire and rim width. And a square setup, at least on my SLE, is a handful in autox with the possibility of snap oversteer.

If you don't want to do studs and a front roll bar I'd stick with a staggered setup, the "strut mod" required for ZLE sizes is 5 min with a small grinder, NBD. SLE sizes will fit fine too with no mods, and you could run ZLE tire sizes (or in this case 315/305 RT660s) with a minor amount of pinch, it's within tire mfg'er recs.

On classing you'll be in CAM-C unless you stick with OEM rim widths and no more than 7mm difference in offsets. IMO not worth it.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #11
BlueStreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
IMO that won't work out unless you sacrifice on tire and rim width.

I'm perfectly willing to make that sacrifice. The trophy room is full, I just wanna go play.

I actually have a line on a set of 295 30 18's that I'd be happy with, but I'm still trying to find the right offset for a square setup.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You are going to want at least the track alignment if you plan to do autocross regularly or else you will cord the outsides of the front tires early and end up paying a lot more than needed for front tires while also having less grip than you could. IMO, might as well max front camber to around -2.5° if you are already changing the alignment rather than setting it at -2° per the track alignment specs. Also I have read that some 200 treadwear tires popular for autocross require a lot of camber to work effectively.

If you are just doing a single autocross event, you can still have fun using the stock wheels and tires! Autocross wheel/tire setups are generally about squeezing the maximum possible performance out of the car for competition within the rule limitations of the class you are running in using sticky tires that don't last very long...kind of the opposite of bang for buck. Since you said you don't want to compete or change your street alignment, I really don't see the point of getting a second set of wheels and tires for autocross.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #13
DaveC113

Quote:
I'm perfectly willing to make that sacrifice. The trophy room is full, I just wanna go play.

I actually have a line on a set of 295 30 18's that I'd be happy with, but I'm still trying to find the right offset for a square setup.
Ok, well in that case you can figure out the minimum width rim required for those tires and the front offset required for that rim width. For example if you can use 10" wide rims you can use around 20mm offset, 11" wide rims need around 10mm offset. Again, check with Apex on exact numbers as you'd want to use the most offset possible so the rears don't poke too much. You'll still have more oversteer than you might want, which a staggered setup will balance out...
Old 04-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #14
BlueStreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
You are going to want at least the track alignment if you plan to do autocross regularly or else you will cord the outsides of the front tires early and end up paying a lot more than needed for front tires while also having less grip than you could. IMO, might as well max front camber to around -2.5° if you are already changing the alignment rather than setting it at -2° per the track alignment specs. Also I have read that some 200 treadwear tires popular for autocross require a lot of camber to work effectively.

If you are just doing a single autocross event, you can still have fun using the stock wheels and tires! Autocross wheel/tire setups are generally about squeezing the maximum possible performance out of the car for competition within the rule limitations of the class you are running in using sticky tires that don't last very long...kind of the opposite of bang for buck. Since you said you don't want to compete or change your street alignment, I really don't see the point of getting a second set of wheels and tires for autocross.

Totally agree on all points. I was just asking a hypothetical "if I don't want to change anything, what fits?"

I'll being doing an alignment just because of the way I drive on the street.