Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Garageaholic

Drives: 2016 camaro SS
Garageaholic's 6th Gen Camaro W/ TR6060 Swap Project!

Hey guys, if you are interested, I plan to break down a 2016 Camaro SS LT1 with 6spd TR6060 and swap into a BMW. I've never done an LT1 swap before so I would LOVE your advice and help if you have any!

So I bought this sight unseen at auction in Ventura, CA. Obvious front end damage precludes the engine from starting, but how bad was it? I started ripping it apart and took the gamble. Definitely found a few issues, but thank my lucky stars it wasn't as bad as it seemed and Guess what.......

Plan to break her down over the weekend, so here are some pics and a the first youtube video in my series. Hope you enjoy!

Vacuum Leak!?

That's right, E24 635csi!

Have an idea? Want to swap an engine? Try me!
Contact@garageaholic.build
Garageaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Wait, you’re going to gut a mid-80s 6 series and put an LT1 in it?

Are you crazy?? Original 6 series are collectible. You’ll kill the value!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
I Ls swapped a 69 Camaro, it’s more valuable after. Ls/lt swaps add value to most anything.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi69Cam View Post
I Ls swapped a 69 Camaro, it’s more valuable after. Ls/lt swaps add value to most anything.
Yes but what was the original, factory setup/trim/drivetrains/numbers matching/condition of your 69?

If it was a 2 speed power glide 6 cylinder, absolutely.

If it was a numbers matching ZL1? No way.

That’s a 635CSi. Looks to be in pretty good shape. He shouldn’t touch it. In excellent condition they’re going for $80k-$100k right now.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yes but what was the original, factory setup/trim/drivetrains/numbers matching/condition of your 69?

If it was a 2 speed power glide 6 cylinder, absolutely.

If it was a numbers matching ZL1? No way.

That’s a 635CSi. Looks to be in pretty good shape. He shouldn’t touch it. In excellent condition they’re going for $80k-$100k right now.
Guess I did not know any used bmw would be worth that.

My car is was a bit better than a base 6 cyl power glide, it had the 250 cid and 4 on the floor. Lol. I threw the Detroit speed catalog at it and a ls7/t56 combo.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I don't understand.... All you need is a good buff and ceramic coat to make that Camaro look like new!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
Garageaholic

Drives: 2016 camaro SS
Oh wow, this is an active forum! I’m gonna like this!

So this car is not my car, it is a customers request that I perform the swap for him. I have never done any American swaps before, other than SN 95 Ford Mustang 5.0. This Camaro was salvaged and turned out to be a great swap candidate, so we jumped on that opportunity.
The E24 in question is indeed a very clean csi example with absolutely no rust, And the M30 drive train will end up getting swapped into an E9 at some point in the future. The customer already has one E24 and he absolutely loves the power output and sound of the LT/LS engines so he decided to contract me to do the work because he knows that I put all of my heart into every project that I work on and it would be a really great opportunity to work on platforms other than BMW.

You guys sound like a great bunch, and I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning with you, and learning from you. I’ll definitely be posting more as I make progress on the swap regularly!! I’m glad that this is that kind of forum

Have an idea? Want to swap an engine? Try me!
Contact@garageaholic.build
Garageaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
That’s insane to put something potentially worth so much under the knife for a swap.

On the other hand, if the owner wants to do it, & doesn’t care about the money, have at it.

That being said, is a regular LT1 enough of an attention grabber for the project?
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi69Cam View Post
Guess I did not know any used bmw would be worth that.

My car is was a bit better than a base 6 cyl power glide, it had the 250 cid and 4 on the floor. Lol. I threw the Detroit speed catalog at it and a ls7/t56 combo.
Yes 80s 6 series are very collectible. Even if it’s not concourse condition they still sell for around $50k. They were really the first ultra-luxury personal performance coupe.

It really should not be cut up. Put the LT1 into some run of the mill 3 series.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yes 80s 6 series are very collectible. Even if it’s not concourse condition they still sell for around $50k. They were really the first ultra-luxury personal performance coupe.

It really should not be cut up. Put the LT1 into some run of the mill 3 series.
Maybe you're forgetting it's his car and he can do whatever he wants to it?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Maybe you're forgetting it's his car and he can do whatever he wants to it?
Maybe. Just reminding him what exactly he is doing, in case he didn't know.

There's plenty of worthless BMWs you can put the LT1 into, I have nothing against that.

It's the fact that 80s 6 series are collectible cars.

Check out these current prices:

https://www.carfax.com/Used-BMW-6-Series-635CSi_t108
Old 10-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Garageaholic, I know you have your customer set up for this project, but if I were you I'd just bring in someone to appraise that 6 series before you take a single wrench to it.

Now, maybe it has high mileage and the engine needs a full rebuild which could cost $20k itself (good luck finding the special gaskets for any money) and the suspension is toast and the leather is all cracked and peeling...... then yes it will easily cost $50k+ to bring it back to proper order. Even so, that 3.5 L6 is a work of art and plenty of people would buy it even not working for their own project so if you do remove it, be VERY careful with it. I can look at the intake manifold ports all day. It's not just any old BMW engine. Maybe ask the owner if you can buy it from him for cheap if he's not keen on keeping it anyway, people will pay top dollar for it for their own 6 series projects with blown motors.

But if it's in good condition, your customer should at least be advised of what he's doing before he gives you the green light to hack it up!
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Haven’t you heard the old saying Petrol Head, “the customer is always right”? I agree with you about putting it in a 3 series but that’s what Garageaholic’s customer wants to have done to his BMW. I personally would like to see the LT1 swapped into a 1st or 2nd gen budget model Camaro but it is what it is! It should be an interesting build though!
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Op This would work in the member car journals section. You are starting with a gen6 Camaro, so your project is a fit.

Very cool build. However a 3 series BMW is begging for an LT1 and a TR6060.