Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
krazyk86cu

Drives: 18 Red Hot ZL1 10A
New to summer tires. When & what are y’all running?

So other than a Porsche 996 that spent most of its time broken down in my garage, I’m new to running Summer only tires. I DD my ZL1 (unless it’s raining) and plan on getting some some all seasons mounted on replica ZLE rims.
I’m in NC so I really don’t need winter tires. I’ll be driving my 03 Pilot if it’s icy/snowy.

With that said, at what temperatures should I put up the Summer tires? And how do y’all store them? I know I need to seal them up in bags, but do I really need to keep them inside the house rather than the garage (garage is not climate controlled)? Just curious what you folks do. Also, what all-seasons do y’all recommend? On my previous Mustang GT I ran some Pilot Sport A/S 3+, however that car was only putting down 400 horses.

Fee free to post pics of your winter setups!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
krazyk86cu

Drives: 18 Red Hot ZL1 10A
Nobody use different tires in the Fall/Winter? Lol
Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I'm in Charlotte and drove my ZL1 on Goodyears last winter when it was ~25-32 deg F in the morning, but was 40-60 deg F in the afternoon. It was only 7 miles each way, but I just bought the car and couldn't help myself. The tires get hard as a rock, but I didn't have any issues. I would avoid snow/ice at any cost. I also avoided driving when it was wet and there was salt on the road. My 2010 4x4 Dodge Ram is the lead sled.

If you have a second daily, then I would not mess with the all-season tires. It's not worth it to drive for four-six weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk86cu View Post
So other than a Porsche 996 that spent most of its time broken down in my garage, I’m new to running Summer only tires. I DD my ZL1 (unless it’s raining) and plan on getting some some all seasons mounted on replica ZLE rims.
I’m in NC so I really don’t need winter tires. I’ll be driving my 03 Pilot if it’s icy/snowy.

With that said, at what temperatures should I put up the Summer tires? And how do y’all store them? I know I need to seal them up in bags, but do I really need to keep them inside the house rather than the garage (garage is not climate controlled)? Just curious what you folks do. Also, what all-seasons do y’all recommend? On my previous Mustang GT I ran some Pilot Sport A/S 3+, however that car was only putting down 400 horses.

Fee free to post pics of your winter setups!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I like the oem tires but I live in the hottest area of most here...lucky if it ever even freezes & it might snow once every hundred years. I have a company truck & am hunting during any real (what I call) cold weather so the whole deal of what you seasonal guys go through is pretty bizarre.

The stock GY tires aren't the same in even 40 temps to me & car is a whole other animal...that is about all I can offer. I went out to the ranch yesterday to check on camp & it was 106 is Starr Co. Yeah, it sucks in summer but I'm gonna quit complaining knowing so many of you fellas don't get to enjoy your Z's for such a big portion of the year.

Honestly, the winter is when I love jumping in her most but highs are usually in the 70's dead middle of it all.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
If you have another car for snow/ice, then I'd think a summer tire would be just fine. I've driven on Pilot Super Sports in the high 30's a number of times, and they were totally fine. That's what is on my BMW, and it isn't garaged.

We have a very moderate climate here, but it can get into the 30's at night in January/February if we have a cold spell. I'll get the occasional freeze warning in the morning heading to work during those months, and I've never felt like the PSS (summer tires) were dangerous or at all questionable in that weather.

I'd probably recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S if you're not happy with the original Goodyears. They're an excellent performance tire, while also being very good in the wet. You probably wouldn't want to drive them regularly below freezing, though.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Joszer

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm running RE-71 tires for my ZLE. They're a great compromise for both street and track tires. I do believe the tires are discontinued, so finding sizes is becoming increasingly harder. I'll switch to SuperSport 4S after these wear out.
Joszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The OEM tires kickass in the hot and dry, but lose grip quickly below 60F and they will try to kill you when wet.

If I lived WAAAYYY up in the chilly North of the Carolinas ... I'd be swapping out the OEMs for all seasons at about 50F.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
This is my winter setup.
Attached Images

RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
My Goodyears on the stock rims have worn out their welcome on my DD ZL1. Anything under 50 degrees and you are taking a chance IMHO. Any Rain and you are taking a Risk!
My MRR FS05 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will arrive today. This is my Summer set.
The Winter set will be the Stock rims and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 in stock ZL1 sizes. I already have the Pirellis in the basement. I have had the PS3 on my previous 2 Camaros and I really like them....I normally put them on the week before Thanksgiving.
If you read the label on the tires in the Picture, the tires actually perform to that SPEC....they are fantastic cold weather HANDLING performance tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by Intimidator; 08-29-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Toyo R888R's. However they are mud tire noisy.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
OEM Gy's for track. Michelin PS4S on street.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
redwhiteandblue

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I have a spare set of wheels from my 2SS I could use for ZL1 winter tires. Is that going to look weird?
redwhiteandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
STAY IN IT

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
Toyo R888R's. However they are mud tire noisy.
Yep. Terrific traction, extremely loud.
STAY IN IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
redwhiteandblue

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
My Goodyears on the stock rims have worn out their welcome on my DD ZL1. Anything under 50 degrees and you are taking a chance IMHO. Any Rain and you are taking a Risk!
My MRR FS05 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will arrive today. This is my Summer set.
The Winter set will be the Stock rims and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 in stock ZL1 sizes. I already have the Pirellis in the basement. I have had the PS3 on my previous 2 Camaros and I really like them....I normally put them on the week before Thanksgiving.
If you read the label on the tires in the Picture, the tires actually perform to that SPEC....they are fantastic cold weather HANDLING performance tires.

I need a tire that is all season for when it gets to low 30s in the mornings (Illinois-near St. Louis) Will the 2ss wheels fit on a ZL1?

Last edited by redwhiteandblue; 09-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.
redwhiteandblue is offline   Reply With Quote