Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #323
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
There are certain cars that just don't fit the EV mode. The Camaro is one of them. It needs to remain V-8 powered...
Exactly.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #324
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
There are certain cars that just don't fit the EV mode. The Camaro is one of them. It needs to remain V-8 powered...
Well then it’s likely gone forever. The shared Alpha architecture is gone with certainty (or a big GM reversal) in 4 or 5 years. The Camaro cannot stand on an orphan architecture. Change or die is the likely scenario.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #325

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Low 0-60mph times are easy peasy for EVs. What the market is missing right now is a EV sports car, something like you said, that looks and handles like a Camaro.

If they ever release an EV Camaro, I would expect the slow base trim to do 0-60mph in about 4 sec and the 1/4 mile in just under 12 sec. A SS 1LE trim would would do mid 3s 0-60mph and 1/4 in mid 11s and handle like it is on rails. A ZL1 equivalent should hit 0-60mph in 3 sec or less and 1/4 in low 11s. If they put a 2 speed transmission then it would get into the 10s.

Make it look sporty inside, keep some of the gauges and wrap the dash around the driver, put in some sporty seats and lots of nerd knobs for tuning the software so the car behaves the way you like it to.
I have to agree that a non-ice Camaro should not happen. To try and mimic old ice engine sizes, etc., with EV variances is a joke. Software this, software that for models of certain prices with EVs would be nothing more than an obvious rip-off....Basically all evs will be the same...Cheese-ball intentionally programmed de-tuning and under performing to try and replicate ICE choices seems sort of juvenile...

If they can have a certain 0-60, give it to all of them...a max range, they should all get it...etc. Show the true nature of EVs...that is they are all the same. The very nature of EVs suggest one size fits all...anything less would be an insult to the customers intelligence...

Look at the gm video of the Ultium platform with an outline of every type of car, truck, suv, all superimposed over the same skateboard design. Wowee...what a difference.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #326
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well then it’s likely gone forever. The shared Alpha architecture is gone with certainty (or a big GM reversal) in 4 or 5 years. The Camaro cannot stand on an orphan architecture. Change or die is the likely scenario.
Well, if die it must, then die it should, going out with the bang that the 6th gen is. Bastardizing a renowned brand like Ford did with the Mustang is pathetic.

Just my 2 cents'.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #327
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Ford made the right call to name their EV a mustang, it got people talking (including the people who hate it), which was necessary to stand up to the market bully (Tesla). And I'm pretty sure they don't care if the die-hard mustang fan will buy it, the die-hard fan will buy one of the other ten mustangs on offer.

The people who will buy the Mach E, are people who want a Tesla but want something that feels like a car, not an I-pod. Having a dealership where it can be serviced is a nice bonus too.

GM will make a EUV Camaro, GM has been copying Ford's homework from the beginning, GM just does it better IMO.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #328
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i wouldnt mind an EV camaro.we need one car that is not an SUV.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #329
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Ford made the right call to name their EV a mustang, it got people talking (including the people who hate it), which was necessary to stand up to the market bully (Tesla). And I'm pretty sure they don't care if the die-hard mustang fan will buy it, the die-hard fan will buy one of the other ten mustangs on offer.

The people who will buy the Mach E, are people who want a Tesla but want something that feels like a car, not an I-pod. Having a dealership where it can be serviced is a nice bonus too.

GM will make a EUV Camaro, GM has been copying Ford's homework from the beginning, GM just does it better IMO.
That's the result of millenials in positions of power in big companies. Zero regard for history or tradition, if it ain't broke we must fix it. It's new, so it must be better. Just because we can definitely absolutely means we should no matter what.

F 'em.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #330
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
You are correct but you can see exactly by using this tool, which is basically what happens in the onboard system in the car. For longer trips, ICE based vehicles are still more convenient, for local driving around town EVs are super efficient.

https://www.tesla.com/trips
Well maybe I am the problem but if I was worried about "super efficient" I would not be driving a 6100lb Hemi RAM or a 392 Challenger

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #331
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Look at the gm video of the Ultium platform with an outline of every type of car, truck, suv, all superimposed over the same skateboard design. Wowee...what a difference.

Yeah, that kind of depressed me too. Although, battery thermal management, suspension and brakes are probably the future differentiators of a BEV performance car, those aren't trivial things.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #332
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
I don't see why they can't just keep ICE for enthusiast cars, and use EVs for practical people since they can't stand the mechanical work on a ICE car anyway.

EV Camaros aren't so bad for the lower trims, even though it defeats the purpose of an affordable muscle car, probably bring up the price to at least $5,000 more. For the higher trims, I could see it as a joke: "Instead of N/A for one car and a supercharger for the other, let's just give it a more powerful motor with a more aggressive look"
The best outcome IMO would be a total bifurcation. People that don't give a crap don't want to drive at all in the first place, let them have their autopiloted, near identical appliances and text away to their hearts' content. I have zero problems with that, in fact, it would help everyone, think 100% predictable "drivers" that don't pull stupid crap all the time, buried in their phone screens.

On the flip side, those that do care should absolutely have the option of buying, maintaining, servicing, tuning their own cars, be them ICE or EV. The market should be allowed to cater to all these demands.

It's this recent borg style, 'resistance is futile, you'll be assimilated' approach through force (taxes, "emission controls", legislation) is what I and Petrol Head and so many others oppose by principle, and this is what most EV proponents, the joyful welcomers of any new robotic overlords (even in this very thread) fail to respect and/or understand.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #333
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
That's the result of millenials in positions of power in big companies. Zero regard for history or tradition, if it ain't broke we must fix it. It's new, so it must be better. Just because we can definitely absolutely means we should no matter what.

F 'em.
This isn't a millennial issue seeing as how less than 13% are under the age of 30. 45% are over the age of 50 and guess what they're on board with the electric movement(both Marry Barra and Kim Brycz are in their upper 50s and are in two of the positions of power.) . All this boils down to is money and these big corporations don't get to be as big as they are by staying the same.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #334
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The blueprint for handling performance variants is already in place. Both Tesla and GM vary performance by size and quantities of electric motors and size of battery packs. The Hummer EV will use (3) large eMotors and a battery pack that might be as much as 200 kWh to deliver a 1,000 hp truck. Most Hummers are likely to be (2) eMotors and 150 kWh. And the (2) eMotors may not even be the same output.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #335
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I have to agree that a non-ice Camaro should not happen. To try and mimic old ice engine sizes, etc., with EV variances is a joke. Software this, software that for models of certain prices with EVs would be nothing more than an obvious rip-off....Basically all evs will be the same...Cheese-ball intentionally programmed de-tuning and under performing to try and replicate ICE choices seems sort of juvenile...

If they can have a certain 0-60, give it to all of them...a max range, they should all get it...etc. Show the true nature of EVs...that is they are all the same. The very nature of EVs suggest one size fits all...anything less would be an insult to the customers intelligence...

That's not quite how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Well, if die it must, then die it should, going out with the bang that the 6th gen is. Bastardizing a renowned brand like Ford did with the Mustang is pathetic.

Just my 2 cents'.
Ford put the name on an SUV. The discussion here is a Camaro with EV propulsion rather than ICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

F 'em.
Errrrr what Millennials are running GM. All Senior leaders that I know off are well over 40. Mary Barra was the class after me at GMI and I'm old, lol. Mark Reuss? Not a Millennial either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Yeah, that kind of depressed me too. Although, battery thermal management, suspension and brakes are probably the future differentiators of a BEV performance car, those aren't trivial things.
There will be a lot of work to do for sure, especially for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The best outcome IMO would be a total bifurcation. People that don't give a crap don't want to drive at all in the first place, let them have their autopiloted, near identical appliances and text away to their hearts' content. I have zero problems with that, in fact, it would help everyone, think 100% predictable "drivers" that don't pull stupid crap all the time, buried in their phone screens.

On the flip side, those that do care should absolutely have the option of buying, maintaining, servicing, tuning their own cars, be them ICE or EV. The market should be allowed to cater to all these demands.

It's this recent borg style, 'resistance is futile, you'll be assimilated' approach through force (taxes, "emission controls", legislation) is what I and Petrol Head and so many others oppose by principle, and this is what most EV proponents, the joyful welcomers of any new robotic overlords (even in this very thread) fail to respect and/or understand.
First, there is no reason to keep using the term appliance because it's electric. So take a Gen6 with all it's goodness and style, make it an EV and BAM it's now an appliance? Sorry, it's "put down" word and that's all.

Why do you think they will all look the same? Drive the same, Ride the same? They won't and can't. If that were the case and there was 0 differentiation between brands what would make you buy one vs the other?

Keep in mind if you aren't talking V8 power the engine is not a differentiator in most segments. It's a thing that moves the vehicle at an acceptable speed and acceleration and provides acceptable fuel economy. But there are many other attributes that separate a Honda from a Chevy to a Kia.

I'm not buying or selling on this. I'll miss ICE when they are gone or less of a choice. But what is very true is the Camaro is on life support. NO ONE IS BUYING. So rather than die, I'd love to see GM do something outstanding with great coupe (been saying that for 6 years) and make it the performance EV of choice. I don't believe it needs an ICE to move forward.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #336
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

My hope for a new ICE Camaro was VSS-R, but that seems dead too? I haven't seen anything in the news about it for a long time
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote