Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #1
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
smoke from fuse box

Without boring you too much...,

I got a chance to come home from Japan for three weeks to see my kids and wife whom I haven't been around since February of last year. My friend that has been watching my car has driven the car up to me in Staten Island where my family is and the first couple days the car was completely fine. However yesterday I had a couple things happen in succession that has me scratching my head.

Stopped at Starbucks in the morning and for some reason the rear fuse box has a little smoke coming from it. Seemed weird but nothing was wrong at the time besides the trunk not wanting to close.

Continue driving to Brooklyn and stop to take graduation photos with my wife (masters). went outside to drop some things in the car. Started and moved the car with no issue. Come back an hour later after getting the photos and the car is pretty much dead. Had to get a jump.

Was able to drive the car home but the same thing happened again with the trunk. Couple moments of weird smell from the fuse box and then nothing. Car drives fine.

I've seen things about aftermarket taillights causing for car batteries to go dead, and I do have a set that I am confident is doing just that. But I have had the tail for over two years and not had an issue if I drive the car almost every day. What I haven't seen before is the trunk not wanting to close for a few minutes and then it just closes without issue.

Also received a P2535 code which is an ignition switch over voltage from what I understand but that code could come from the battery as well.

Plans are to remove and replace the battery. I also have another set of tails that have a harness to keep the battery from being drained as well. What I am asking is does anyone think that a relay or something of the sort is bad because of what I've been experiencing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes I have searched the forum for previous related posts.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
WraithRider

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Not an expert, but any details on how the aftermarket taillights are installed? Just wondering if everything is wired up correctly. Seems like anything properly wired up would blow a fuse before anything could get hot enough to smoke. Any other aftermarket equipment?
WraithRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Danew_377
Chief Bief

No other equipment and the harness is plug and play. No other electronic mods of note.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Guess no one else has really had this issue...

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Old 04-21-2021, 01:32 AM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
From the description, it sounds like a case of water getting into the trunk which many other people have had issues with. Water gets in through an improper seal that has something to do with the trunk harness getting in the way I believe, then pools underneath the trunk liner and then there's standing water with the trunk fuse box and amp (if you have Bose sound). The only way to fix it would be to completely replace the fuse box and wiring which is what a dealer would do I believe, if you're within warranty I'd try to put your stock lights on and see if they'll fix it.

More info can be found by searching "Camaro6 water in trunk"

I'm not sure but there may be a TSB for it
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Warranty is no longer an option for me. I'm almost at 69k miles on my 2016. Trunk is dry, battery replaced, and a couple blown fuses have been replaced as well. going to monitor it and see what happens. If I have to, then I'll replace the fuse block. It's not too difficult a job.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
426whp/434wtq