Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
chaoscentral

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicaysen View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions for paid tunes - but I think the OP is looking to learn on their own. 600$ tunes are ridiculously expensive - I can only afford to do one myself - i'll be tuning it on my own going forward. As I pick stuff up ill make a separate thread to learn and condense the knowledge in one place. We should all make the effort to help one another out.
definitely check out the series I linked then. He goes over the VVE tuning, Torque tuning vs torque management and how to adjust both, MAF tuning, SD tuning etc. All with the same ECU we have and using HP Tuners and an AEM X series wideband
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
You're the man chaos! Really appreciate it.
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #17
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/01/...021&yptr=yahoo
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
They said the same thing about the 2019 ZR1 and now it's tuneable.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Just wrapped up a full vve tune and it’s buttery smooth. I think you really need to spend the time on these cars to get the part throttle back to stock form. Likely need to learn and do it yourself because not many tuners are doing it.

They’ll run fine with just a quick base MAF tune but IMO after going back to back, there’s no comparison. Mpg is way up around town too
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
verdicaysen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Just wrapped up a full vve tune and it’s buttery smooth. I think you really need to spend the time on these cars to get the part throttle back to stock form. Likely need to learn and do it yourself because not many tuners are doing it.

They’ll run fine with just a quick base MAF tune but IMO after going back to back, there’s no comparison. Mpg is way up around town too
Now say that again, like you're talking to the idiot that I am. What was changed during the tuning process? And what is "part throttle"? I know what MAF means, but i'm not sure about the former.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #21
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Now say that again, like you're talking to the idiot that I am. What was changed during the tuning process? And what is "part throttle"? I know what MAF means, but i'm not sure about the former.
Watch those YouTube videos all the way through. I have yet to find information that has explained the tuning process so well. He does a very good job explaining things.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Quote:
Layman to layman (so the pros don't need to waste too much of their time here, haha), "part throttle" means any scenario when the pedal is not at 100%, that is, you are not in the special mode called "power enrichment" that kicks in on these cars when you mash the pedal (wide open throttle aka WOT).

These two modes require different tuning strategies in order to avoid twitchiness and weird nonlinear sensations under normal daily driving (part throttle) circumstances.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #23
PsyCoe

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS - Mosaic Black
I'm wanting you start tuning myself as well. Currently have a BDX with a couple custom tunes loaded on it by my tuner, so I'm looking at purchasing the Pro Racer software from SCT to work with my BDX. Anyone have any experience with SCT's software?
PsyCoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #24
verdicaysen

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification. I actually really do appreciate any knowledge that others can impart on this thread. This is 100% a learning experience for me and my club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Layman to layman (so the pros don't need to waste too much of their time here, haha), "part throttle" means any scenario when the pedal is not at 100%, that is, you are not in the special mode called "power enrichment" that kicks in on these cars when you mash the pedal (wide open throttle aka WOT).

These two modes require different tuning strategies in order to avoid twitchiness and weird nonlinear sensations under normal daily driving (part throttle) circumstances.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
The Goat Rope vids are awesome. I came across this online, obviously a gen before our cars, but some good general info.

http://www.vegasvettes.com/TechTips/...FI%20Class.pdf
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #26
eficalibrator

Drives: 2009 C6
Quote:

Congratulations on taking the time to slow down and do it right. Faithfully going through most of the VVE table/coefficients makes a HUGE difference in how these cars drive everywhere from idle to WOT. Like you said, many "professionals" don't take the time to do this when they are so busy trying to bang out three tunes a day on their dyno.

You also now see how much time it takes to do it right. If you were a professional, what would that work out to be as an hourly rate if the whole job only paid $600? This expectation is unrealistic unless the Pro is operating as a charity. People get sticker shock when I say these new ECUs require about $900-$1200 worth of calibration time, but if you're actually doing it right that is reasonable considering how much better the results are.
eficalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I appreciate all the suggestions for paid tunes - but I think the OP is looking to learn on their own. 600$ tunes are ridiculously expensive - I can only afford to do one myself - i'll be tuning it on my own going forward. As I pick stuff up ill make a separate thread to learn and condense the knowledge in one place. We should all make the effort to help one another out.
600.00 is a bargain and not really enough with the complexity of todays cars.

The amount of time it takes to properly tune these cars have gone up exponentially.

600.00 much less than a failed engine LOL

Todays cars computers are far too advanced for anyone to believe that they can learn it by going to a class, purchasing a book, DVD, making a thread, whatever.

No Professional tuner will ever know everything, We as a community often have to lean on each other when we get stuck.

Almost all the threads in HPtuner forums are novice people who are stuck.

I tune 3-5 cars a day and never stop learning.

As a professional tuner I feel sorry for anyone wanting to get in to this business Like jumping in the ocean with no raft.

But if you still want to get in, Calibrated success is the best training course available today.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyCoe View Post
I'm wanting you start tuning myself as well. Currently have a BDX with a couple custom tunes loaded on it by my tuner, so I'm looking at purchasing the Pro Racer software from SCT to work with my BDX. Anyone have any experience with SCT's software?
Yep, use it every day, the only difference between my software and the proracer is you only can work on your own car and I have unlimited access to all cars.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote