Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
LT5 Camaro???

Wishfull thinking or what???

https://www.torquenews.com/106/myste...roving-grounds
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
We might see one in 2020
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I can’t imagine GM would do that. Already the ZL1 is taking buyers from the ZO6. If they make a LT5 camaro then there would be no real season other than styling to buy a ZO6. Sales on that thing will drop to its grave for sure. In order for them to do the LT5 they would need to increase cost by at least 10k to the current ZL1 (which I would gladly pay.) just don’t think it will happen. We never did see an LS9 camaro.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
I can’t imagine GM would do that. Already the ZL1 is taking buyers from the ZO6. If they make a LT5 camaro then there would be no real season other than styling to buy a ZO6. Sales on that thing will drop to its grave for sure. In order for them to do the LT5 they would need to increase cost by at least 10k to the current ZL1 (which I would gladly pay.) just don’t think it will happen. We never did see an LS9 camaro.
Sure amigo, but there was a time when many never thought there would be an LT4 Camaro...one has to dream!! Hell, the Red Eye caught me off guard & bet some of Demon owners were surprised to have that creeping up on them too.

Personally?? With the HP wars on the rise like they were in the late 60's, I certainly would be willing to bet on it vs the counter. Remember the current LT5 is a hand assembled low volume build, but there is nothing keeping GM from going high volume into a mass production engine build on an assembly line. Think I'll have a better handle on it once we see what the mid engine vette turns out to be.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Sure amigo, but there was a time when many never thought there would be an LT4 Camaro...one has to dream!! Hell, the Red Eye caught me off guard & bet some of Demon owners were surprised to have that creeping up on them too.

Personally?? With the HP wars on the rise like they were in the late 60's, I certainly would be willing to bet on it vs the counter. Remember the current LT5 is a hand assembled low volume build, but there is nothing keeping GM from going high volume into a mass production engine build on an assembly line. Think I'll have a better handle on it once we see what the mid engine vette turns out to be.
No offense but anybody who thought the LT4 wouldn't make it to the Camaro is a total moron. It only made sense to drop the middle-Vette engine into the high end Cadillac and Camaro. Then the halo ZR1 gets their LT5. They will not put the LT5 in the Camaro. If they do, they'd be not only adding a lot of cost to themselves and therefore the end MSRP but also making a car that will out-pace all Vettes except the C7 ZR1 and will do so at probably $80k or so, $60k less than a well specced ZR1. Besides monetary problems, they won't do it on the grounds of having a Camaro equally as powerful as the top line Vette. Corvettes need to be made faster that way the Camaro can be upgraded as well. It goes in proportion.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
So? The C7 is wormfood in 2020 anyway with the C8 intro.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Thanks for posting this. I’d love to see the LT5 in a Camaro.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Wouldn't be the first time in history Camaro had the same power as the Vette.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
They were for awhile, 650 hp Z06 and 650 hp ZL1
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
If were talking just cost. The LT5 and LT4 probably have a closer price point than you think. Most of the parts are the same. The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors. Same Low side pump.
The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads.
The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons but with different rings and same rods I do believe.
The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate.
The LT5 has different crank
The LT5 has a different camshaft.
The only major difference is the 2650 supercharger And secondary port fuel system with small injectors. Running off the same fuel pump that supplies fuel to the high-pressure pump.

Unlike the LS9 that thing is just holy crap expensive on everything.

So totally up to GM.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
They wont put the LT5 in Camaro, the 6th Gen is already set, and no more changes will occur. The 7th Gen ZL1 I Bet will get somewhere about a 600 HP NA engine with 200 HP electric assist. I would bet money on that.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
They wont put the LT5 in Camaro, the 6th Gen is already set, and no more changes will occur. The 7th Gen ZL1 I Bet will get somewhere about a 600 HP NA engine with 200 HP electric assist. I would bet money on that.
100% False.. time will tell. Revisit this after 2019 NY auto show. There will be a 700+hp Camaro.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Sig

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 met-black/manual
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Perhaps not, but this is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
They were for awhile, 650 hp Z06 and 650 hp ZL1
Except the Z06 isn't the top of the line Corvette so it doesn't matter that the mid-line Corvette shared a figure with a Cadillac and Camaro. Totally different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
If were talking just cost. The LT5 and LT4 probably have a closer price point than you think. Most of the parts are the same. The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors. Same Low side pump.
The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads.
The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons but with different rings and same rods I do believe.
The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate.
The LT5 has different crank
The LT5 has a different camshaft.
The only major difference is the 2650 supercharger And secondary port fuel system with small injectors. Running off the same fuel pump that supplies fuel to the high-pressure pump.

Unlike the LS9 that thing is just holy crap expensive on everything.

So totally up to GM.
Correct, crate engine/long block wise, they costs are probably close enough to be possible. Where it really loses is the issues that only GM and other OEMs would have to deal with. Hood clearance, reliability, suspension etc. The car would get a beefed up drivetrain, which the ZR1 has over the Z06, and this would add weight and likely require retuning of the suspension system. Stronger clutch for manuals, new trans tuning for A10s (Which would be a huge undertaking as it's already SO good). Stronger axles, a different exhaust system for the extra heat and flow the LT5 makes. The front end would have to be redesigned to either make a taller hood (which would make the bad visibility EVEN worse), lower the engine (Which makes a huge drivetrain/suspension problem), and furthermore, they're already at the limit of hood height from what I've heard of passing pedestrian safety laws and all of that BS. So factor in the cost to effectively retro-fit an LT5 to an existing package like the LT4 ZL1 and your cost is going to be massive. The ZL1 is out, it's performing well, it's finished. GM will not tear it apart to start over. Anybody could drop a crate LT5 into a ZL1 and add the extra fuel setup. GM cannot get away with that. The changes that would have to be made would be astronomically expensive for what it is worth to GM. Big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
Definitely won't be a 600 HP NA engine with hybrid power. From the looks of it, TT smaller V8s are the future of GM from all from the patents they're filing as well as some intel I've received. Hybrid power will come, but it won't be to the Camaro first, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig View Post
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
That's a very opinionated opinion. I think with the C7 Corvette, the Corvette crowd got much younger. I see lots of 20-somethings driving C7 Corvettes around even if it was a stretch for them to afford it. Maybe it's the area I'm in but I don't think it's "an old man's wet dream" - that would definitely be a C4, C5 or maybe C2 Corvette. A C6 Z06/ZR1 or C7 car is definitely no old mans car.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote