#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I pull into DIY spray wash stalls 5 mi away and then dry it myself. Takes 15 min start to finish. $5. Car always looks awesome. Screw the handwashing. If I had a Z, would do the same exact thing.
That works as long as you don't use that brush they have hanging from the wall or that you had to pick up from the dirty ground. That brush is sure to leave scratches and microswirls. Worth it to take your own washing mitt in.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #30
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
That works as long as you don't use that brush they have hanging from the wall or that you had to pick up from the dirty ground. That brush is sure to leave scratches and microswirls. Worth it to take your own washing mitt in.
You can always spray it off with the wand before using it but I agree the Mitt is a better idea. Either way I don't use the brush on my car...it never gets dirty enough to need hand scrubbing. I just pull into the self serve, spray wash it, drive it a short distance down a clean road to air dry it some, then finish it with a microfiber drying towel. Then spray wax and tire shine every 2-3 washes...good enough.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #31
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

That brush is the equivalent of using sand and rocks to wash your car with.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #32
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Never use the brush, lol. You’d have to be insane to use that. It looks more like a big broom. I spray my wheels with my wheel cleaner and then spray soak, soap, rinse, dry w/my microfiber towels. My car is never that dirty where the spray can’t clean it.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #33
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm thankful that I'm still able to do my own at the age 59. However, another option is
to ask at any full service car wash if they offer "off track". If they do, your car will be hand washed and dried without it going down the track which could damage your wheels and you'll also escape the brushes etc... which could damage your paint.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Many, many years ago, there was a car wash in the town I grew up in that had topless chicks do the washing. Nothing more awesome than seeing all those 'sponges' pressed against your windshield. Didn't last too long before the bible thumpers got it it shut down though. I would hit one of those again.
Bible thumper of not, public nudity is never going to fly - how long did that last? 2 days?
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I'm thankful that I'm still able to do my own at the age 59. However, another option is
to ask at any full service car wash if they offer "off track". If they do, your car will be hand washed and dried without it going down the track which could damage your wheels and you'll also escape the brushes etc... which could damage your paint.
The problem is a lot of these places do not use clean mitts, microfibers, or use proper wash and dry techniques. It is better than going through the tunnel but i guess just depends on how much you care about your paint. You can polish once a year to get rid of the swirls and marring but depending on how bad of a job they do, your paint will look worse and worse. The shine/gloss really takes a toll.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #36
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Bible thumper of not, public nudity is never going to fly - how long did that last? 2 days?
They weren't outside flagging down cars. Inside, same rules as a nudie bar. It was one of their several bays. Valid ID and all, since there was no voting, lol. Can't remember how long, maybe 6 months

Last edited by ZED SLED; 04-27-2021 at 12:51 PM.
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #37
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
The problem is a lot of these places do not use clean mitts, microfibers, or use proper wash and dry techniques. It is better than going through the tunnel but i guess just depends on how much you care about your paint. You can polish once a year to get rid of the swirls and marring but depending on how bad of a job they do, your paint will look worse and worse. The shine/gloss really takes a toll.
All valid points.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #38
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
All valid points.
Thanks! I have spent a lot of time self reflecting .. trying to keep a balance between maintaining the paint and not going overboard with it. I am obsessed with insane shine though. detailing is also relaxing for me. I would rather be driving the cars though, but other car stuff is fun too.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #39
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Ceramic coat does make washing easier, less dirt sticks to the car. I probably wash the car once a month and that's only because of pollen, dust, and brake dust - it will never see rain
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #40
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Thanks! I have spent a lot of time self reflecting .. trying to keep a balance between maintaining the paint and not going overboard with it. I am obsessed with insane shine though. detailing is also relaxing for me. I would rather be driving the cars though, but other car stuff is fun too.

I feel for ya, but i'm out their every time i take it out for a drive wiping it off and making sure there isn't a spec of dust on it. I'm sure my neighbors think i'm some kind of nut job.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #41
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Omg i would never use a pressure washer on my car.

I would be concerned about those young ladies slipping in those high heels. I could act as their safety coach with some “hands on” training....
I use an electric pressure washer on my car every single time I wash it which is about once a week. Gas powered pressure washer - I probably wouldn't use because they can be twice the pressure as an electric. But I have no problems and it does a great job of blasting away all of the dirt and sand before I start actually washing it.

I also found a local company that does industrial water filtering and I rent a de-ionizer tank from them which lets me do totally spotless washes. It's about 4' tall and lasts 6 months, even with our tap water being over 700 ppm of minerals. I can let the car dry in the sun where I'd NEVER do that in the past.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #42
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I also found a local company that does industrial water filtering and I rent a de-ionizer tank from them which lets me do totally spotless washes. It's about 4' tall and lasts 6 months, even with our tap water being over 700 ppm of minerals. I can let the car dry in the sun where I'd NEVER do that in the past.
That sounds really nice, I would love to have fully filtered water and then use my Toro electric blower to get most of the water off and finish it up with a few plush microfiber towels with no risk of spots.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote