Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #43
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
GM is quickly losing me as a loyal customer. Whatever this thing is coming out under the GMC banner, it just seems weird. When I think GMC, I think luxury SUV or truck. When I think SUV or truck, I’m interested in cargo space and towing capacity first. Next comes creature comforts. I use an SUV/truck for daily use, which includes regular rounds trips of say 700 miles (Detroit-Chicago-Detroit for instance), many times with cargo. I’m interested in convenience for such use. An EV SUV would need to be capable of towing with sufficient range (400 mile round trip) in cold weather. A 0-60 time of 3 seconds or 1000 hp seems ridiculous in such a vehicle, if it can’t perform essentials. How much of a charge is used for such a high load launch?

The General is losing me and quickly at that. As for the Camaro, I’ve had many. When I can drive an electric version 200 miles to Gingerman, track it all day (at 9/10s on a 90 degree day) and then drive it 200 miles home home, I’d consider it. Or when I could drive an EV Camaro 7 hours down to Camarofest, track it, drive it more and then 7 hours back home. Until then, I’m happy with my highly efficient internal combustion engine powered Camaro.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #44
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
I’m still inclined to ICEs, but at some point we start to look ridiculous in our hanging on to our history.

Ya know up until very recently, no serious performance car had an automatic transmission. Tech got better and better, and now here we are. DCTs own the place and modern autos are right on their heals. SOOOOO many people just aren't feeling it though, and still prefer to row gears, even at the sake of ET's and lap times. Yet when it's brought up on Camaro6, there's no shortage of people ripping on the manual guys. Old tech. Human error. Inconsistent shifts. EVs are the same thing. A bit bigger example I'll admit, but a change in the status quo none the less. Technology moves forward. Some embrace it and others get left behind. Carburetors, fuel injection, power brakes, disc brakes, anti-lock brakes, radial tires, power steering... It's all the same. I agree with most people here in wanting the sound and feel of a good ole v8, but you know there are guys out there that were making fun of the foo-foo hot rodders who needed power brakes, while those with, just turned up their noses at that guy and laughed.

Guarantee when anti-gravity/hover-tech hits, everyone on the Camaro9 forums will be having this same thread/discussion, swearing their 4 wheeled EV Camaros are TRUE Camaros, and these wheel-less floating "10th gens" aren't REAL Camaros!!!

Keep this in mind. A 7th gen with an electric motor and a 6th gen will have a heck of a lot more in common than a 6th gen and a 1st gen.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I live in the "Land of Prius & Teslas" (i.e. Kalifornia)(Chicagoan born and raised trapped in Kalifornia)
Yep. Lots of Tesla’s here. Prius’s as well.

When I’m rolling to a stoplight, and the sound of thunder is coming from the NPP exhaust, the ‘electric vehicles’ usually roll their windows up.

I’m not sold on electric vehicles. With their development still in the infancy age, I’ll wait. I have a feeling that I’ll be waiting for quite some time.

1000hp electric vehicle would be neat, but it wouldn’t change my current opinion.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #46
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
Yep. Lots of Tesla’s here. Prius’s as well.

When I’m rolling to a stoplight, and the sound of thunder is coming from the NPP exhaust, the ‘electric vehicles’ usually roll their windows up.

I’m not sold on electric vehicles. With their development still in the infancy age, I’ll wait. I have a feeling that I’ll be waiting for quite some time.

1000hp electric vehicle would be neat, but it wouldn’t change my current opinion.
I agree!!! I drive my A10 in M mode (and NPP locked in "Track Mode") most of the time, love the snap, crackle and pop, even when rolling up to a red light, it is completely intoxicating...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #47
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Question is at what cost to the end user? Taxes, Fees, Surcharges, taxed per mile driven. Look all the way across the country, not just to the end of your nose. We cannot supply power for the country as it already is let alone adding vehicles into the mix.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #48
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Everyone loves to talk about how electric cars are so much faster and have so much torque, but fail to mention fast for how long? Do you have to preheat the batteries? Is it detrimental to battery life? How many times can you accelerate like this? Is there a cool down period? How many times can I accelerate like this on a single charge?

Electric cars are fast from zero to sixty because they have all wheel drive and are able to put all there power to the ground. People love to way overhype the fact that, "but they make peak torque instantly wow!" most gas cars make at least 75% of their peak torque off idle and the transmission and torque converter negate the small amount of torque lost at lower rpms.

If a 6th gen SS could have all its power put to the ground and no wheel spin, it could easily hang with a lower model S without ludicrous mode to 60 mph and after about 75 or 80 it would start walking away from the Tesla fast. A ZL1 would be an even match for a 100D with Ludicrous mode and would easily walk away from it after 60 mph.

Look how much of a difference increased traction made in the C8 for the 0-60 and its not even all wheel drive.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #49
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
2025 camaro is going to have a 2.5 turbo, a 5.5 v8, a hybrid 4cyl, and a full EV model.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #50
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I’m still inclined to ICEs, but at some point we start to look ridiculous in our hanging on to our history.
Completely missing the point
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #51
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
2025 camaro is going to have a 2.5 turbo, a 5.5 v8, a hybrid 4cyl, and a full EV model.
Oout of those, I'll take the 5.5L V8... Even if gas is $6/gal... If you want to be efficient/green, there is a place, if you want a muscle car, EV isn't it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #52
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Completely missing the point
You're right, we should get rid of the constitution today. Nobody has any idea what the future will be, IF we even have one. We're going to be dead in 9 years anyway. Just ask Greta.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 PM   #53
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Oout of those, I'll take the 5.5L V8... Even if gas is $6/gal... If you want to be efficient/green, there is a place, if you want a muscle car, EV isn't it...
Exactly. I drive 15-20,000 miles/yr and I’d STILL take the naturally aspirated V8 with gas at $6.00/gallon.

Seriously, people simply do NOT get it.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:33 PM   #54
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
You're right, we should get rid of the constitution today. Nobody has any idea what the future will be, IF we even have one. We're going to be dead in 9 years anyway. Just ask Greta.
Sometimes people say stuff that just blows the mind.

Our history is part of what makes America great. Sorry if that strikes a nerve with some people. But that’s a fact.

Hang on to our history? Yes, I am proud to. He has no idea.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #55
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
GM is quickly losing me as a loyal customer. Whatever this thing is coming out under the GMC banner, it just seems weird. When I think GMC, I think luxury SUV or truck. When I think SUV or truck, I’m interested in cargo space and towing capacity first. Next comes creature comforts. I use an SUV/truck for daily use, which includes regular rounds trips of say 700 miles (Detroit-Chicago-Detroit for instance), many times with cargo. I’m interested in convenience for such use. An EV SUV would need to be capable of towing with sufficient range (400 mile round trip) in cold weather. A 0-60 time of 3 seconds or 1000 hp seems ridiculous in such a vehicle, if it can’t perform essentials. How much of a charge is used for such a high load launch?

The General is losing me and quickly at that. As for the Camaro, I’ve had many. When I can drive an electric version 200 miles to Gingerman, track it all day (at 9/10s on a 90 degree day) and then drive it 200 miles home home, I’d consider it. Or when I could drive an EV Camaro 7 hours down to Camarofest, track it, drive it more and then 7 hours back home. Until then, I’m happy with my highly efficient internal combustion engine powered Camaro.
So until an EV can do things your ICE never could, you won't consider buying one?

Sorry to see you're so unhappy with the awesome 1LE Chevy built for you to buy. What's next? A Mustang?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #56
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
So until an EV can do things your ICE never could, you won't consider buying one?

Sorry to see you're so unhappy with the awesome 1LE Chevy built for you to buy. What's next? A Mustang?
I didn’t say I was unhappy with my 1LE. To the contrary, I’ve had 6 different Camaro’s since 2010, two of which were 5th gen ZL1s. My current 19 1SS 1LE is probably my favorite. It is the perfect track car, which I enjoy a lot!

I’m just saying, I’m not sold on the EV path as rapidly as GM is pushing for it. It’s a complex subject and I have many reasons for my views. I’m not going to go into all of them here. I’m just saying this electric SUV must check some essential requirements before I’m interested. It’s pretty simple really.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote