Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #785
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
You’re criticizing MARKETING through examples of what you consider to be bad ADVERTISING. Advertising is just one of many aspects of Marketing. It is clear that GM / Chevy have decided that broad market advertising for a narrowly focused vehicle (83,300 produced in 2017, compared to how many Equinox or Malibu, etc) is not money well spent.

The Marketing plan is to reach directly to people who are predisposed to buying a sporty car. So....what does Chevrolet Marketing do?
  • Add Camaro to NASCAR program, replacing prior ridiculous FWD sedans
  • Focus racing versions of Corvette and Camaro in multiple circuits. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday approach
  • Lock up the selection of Indianapolis Pace Cars since 2002. There’s a reason all of the most recent Indy Pace Cars have been Corvettes and Camaros
  • Sponsor Grand Prix events in the US and include Corvettes and Camaros in the preliminary events
  • Make important reveals (ZL1) at major motor sports events
  • Place S/N 001 in important auctions

This is what is known as Targeted Marketing. Go to where your intended customers are most likely to be and spend your dollars there, instead of throwing them at the broad market windmill where 86.441% of the people who see it will totally ignore it anyway. Made up number by the way. And probably low.
I personally don't think the win on sunday sell on monday works anymore. who the hell cares that it's a Camaro Sticker package on the NASCAR body, the car shares nothing the Camaro. They aren't stock cars anymore. that's like saying I better run out and grab a silverado because its been tearing up the Nascar truck series.

Even the racing series that Camaro and Corvette teams compete in, those cars are full on race cars that don't share much with the street cars. When the car companies had to build the street cars like the race cars, that's when the win on sunday sell on monday worked.

Now big reveals at motorsports events/pace cars that is great way to get the ACTUAL car some great screen time.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #786
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
For some reason this discussion on marketing / advertising brings back for me a memory of a date I was on when I was in grad school. I had a C4 V1 Corvette. The girl I was on the date with had on a number of occasions talked about how “pretty” she thought my car was. So we go to a concert, have a great time and we’re walking back to where I parked. We were walking by a C4 V2. I noticed it. She didn’t. So I walk over to it and start running down all the differences between my car and the V2. If I was really paying attention then I would have seen her eyes rolling back in her head. She could give a shit. Either the car was pretty or it wasn’t. Anything else is blah blah blah blah. That’s how most people who see TV ads react. If it’s not the kind of car they are already predisposed to buying, the message is completely lost.

We care about these cars so we agonize over every detail and change. We comment on each other’s mods, because sometimes they reflect how WE think Chevy should have done it in the first place. So when Chevy does a refresh, no matter how minor, if that refresh includes something we don’t like, BOOM!!! The sky is falling! The brand is doomed! The designers should be rounded up and persecuted. It really ain’t that serious.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #787
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I personally don't think the win on sunday sell on monday works anymore. who the hell cares that it's a Camaro Sticker package on the NASCAR body, the car shares nothing the Camaro. They aren't stock cars anymore. that's like saying I better run out and grab a silverado because its been tearing up the Nascar truck series.

Even the racing series that Camaro and Corvette teams compete in, those cars are full on race cars that don't share much with the street cars. When the car companies had to build the street cars like the race cars, that's when the win on sunday sell on monday worked.

Now big reveals at motorsports events/pace cars that is great way to get the ACTUAL car some great screen time.
But have you ever gone to one of these events? Walked around the grounds before, between, and after races? If so, what did you see? Camaros out the wazoo with various options and accessories and mods and paint jobs. And because Chevrolet sponsors the event, there are no Mustangs, Chargers, or Challengers anywhere around. Captive audience getting a direct message.

I’ll have to remember when the Detroit Grand Prix comes around to take a little bit of video of what goes on in and near the pits between races when people are drooling all over the Corvettes and Camaros that are on display for promotion.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #788
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
For some reason this discussion on marketing / advertising brings back for me a memory of a date I was on when I was in grad school. I had a C4 V1 Corvette. The girl I was on the date with had on a number of occasions talked about how “pretty” she thought my car was. So we go to a concert, have a great time and we’re walking back to where I parked. We were walking by a C4 V2. I noticed it. She didn’t. So I walk over to it and start running down all the differences between my car and the V2. If I was really paying attention then I would have seen her eyes rolling back in her head. She could give a shit. Either the car was pretty or it wasn’t. Anything else is blah blah blah blah. That’s how most people who see TV ads react. If it’s not the kind of car they are already predisposed to buying, the message is completely lost.

We care about these cars so we agonize over every detail and change. We comment on each other’s mods, because sometimes they reflect how WE think Chevy should have done it in the first place. So when Chevy does a refresh, no matter how minor, if that refresh includes something we don’t like, BOOM!!! The sky is falling! The brand is doomed! The designers should be rounded up and persecuted. It really ain’t that serious.
This really is true....and made me think a bit differently. BUT, I would say, maybe GM would benefit from listening to some of the fanatics and purists that are diehard about the Camaro. I know they listened and cared up to 2010 when the 5th gen came out. Maybe GM should try that approach again?
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #789
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
BUT, I would say, maybe GM would benefit from listening to some of the fanatics and purists that are diehard about the Camaro.
They have the 12 Camaro disciples (of which there are 15)
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #790
shaffe

Quote:
But have you ever gone to one of these events? Walked around the grounds before, between, and after races? If so, what did you see? Camaros out the wazoo with various options and accessories and mods and paint jobs. And because Chevrolet sponsors the event, there are no Mustangs, Chargers, or Challengers anywhere around. Captive audience getting a direct message.

I’ll have to remember when the Detroit Grand Prix comes around to take a little bit of video of what goes on in and near the pits between races when people are drooling all over the Corvettes and Camaros that are on display for promotion.

Unfortunately no I have not been to any of those events, last professional motorsport event I went to was the Route 66 US NHRA Nationals. I have gone to say Super Chevy Shows and Ford NMRA events I get that approach.

I am talking about the race cars and the win on sunday sell on monday approach. I personally don't think that approach works anymore as the cars on the track are so far gone from the cars that are in the showroom. Seeing Jimmy Johnson win in a Chevy "Camaro" isn't going to move the needle for me to consider a Camaro one bit.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #791
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i don't think you need to talk to a Camaro fanatic to just make a decent looking Camaro.
it isn't that damn hard.
or just leave well enough alone.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #792
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
i don't think you need to talk to a Camaro fanatic to just make a decent looking Camaro.
it isn't that damn hard.
or just leave well enough alone.
I agree with you. Except... well.....looks like GM cannot make a decent looking one.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #793
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I've often thought that if NASCAR wanted more and new viewers, they'd get back to at least somewhat production cars, just make all necessary safety mods. I've been to a few NASCAR races and they were a good time, but I'm not going to watch it on TV as is. I'd be much more interested in watching almost stock point cars race. Same with drag reaching. I watch and have been to events, but I'm about burnt it watching the same few racers in ridiculous cars drag race. I get more excited watching the local guys race their real cars, and of course racing mine.
If NASCAR could find a way to make the teams use a variant of the engines used in said "cars" I would be way more interested. hell I would probably watch every race.

If Ford wants to use Fusion's make them use an EcoBoost motor, based on the ones in the Fusion. Make Chevy use a engine based on the LT4 (since they are using ZL1) and make Toyota use whatever the hell they have under the hood of a Camry. It would be a rules nightmare but man would it be awesome.

I also think if Chevy had something similar to the NMRA that would be awesome. you could even have events at the same track and have the winners from each side do a showdown
Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #794
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
I agree with you. Except... well.....looks like GM cannot make a decent looking one.
well they did 3 years ago. obviously they don't have the leadership now to direct them.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #795
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
well they did 3 years ago. obviously they don't have the leadership now to direct them.
Even though it is the exact same leadership it was three years ago?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #796
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Even though it is the exact same leadership it was three years ago?
I think there's been a shift at least in some places of leadership/direction...enough to result in this refresh being so drastic.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #797
ThatGMPartsGuy.com

Drives: 2013 GMC Sierra
I'm surprised no one started a thread in the "Ask Al" section yet about the 2019.
ThatGMPartsGuy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #798
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

i saw his facebook page, it's more than 90% negative comments. he only replied to one guy and said 'i see you don't own a 5th or 6th gen'
so basically come back to the potential customers with insults

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!