Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #183
06 4.8

Drives: 2016 2ss, E85, tune, intake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
It seems like it would depend on how much GM intended for the exhaust to scavenge (or if they intended it to scavenge at all). They could have just designed it for lower restriction. I realize their number one concern and goal is meeting emissions and especially cat warmup times. I just don't understand why the try-y design? The corvette team didn't do a try-y?

I can tell you I saw absolutely no difference from deleting the primary cats and putting on a primary cat delete pipe. All I found was more obnoxious raspy and loud exhaust.
Your car with the cam setup made no gains deleting the cats? That's very surprising.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #184
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Guys, I'm going to be installing my LT2 manifold this weekend and i have a couple of noob questions as this is my first time doing something like this. I'm going to be following the msd intake directions as I'm sure the process will be the same.

1) Do I have to use loctite on the manifold bolts?
2) Do I actually have to grease the openings on the brake booster line and Map sensor like MSD says too? if so, what is this Grease called that goes on those locations? Seems odd to me to grease those.
3)Is the torque sequence for the LT2 the same as the MSD intake (MSD provided a chart where as there are no directions for the LT1 or LT2 intake (I know the inch lbs to torque it too)
4) There is a step in the MSD directions where it tells you to use rubber bands to hold the back two manifold bolts when removing the stock manifold. I have no idea why it is telling us this and what it means? Could someone please explain? Here is the link to the MSD directions. https://static.summitracing.com/glob...s/msd-2700.pdf
Step 5 is the rubber band part. From what i understand the bolts won't fall out because they'll be held up by the intake? Thanks for the help.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #185
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Guys, I'm going to be installing my LT2 manifold this weekend and i have a couple of noob questions as this is my first time doing something like this. I'm going to be following the msd intake directions as I'm sure the process will be the same.

1) Do I have to use loctite on the manifold bolts? NO
2) Do I actually have to grease the openings on the brake booster line and Map sensor like MSD says too? if so, what is this Grease called that goes on those locations? Seems odd to me to grease those. NO Grease is needed
3)Is the torque sequence for the LT2 the same as the MSD intake (MSD provided a chart where as there are no directions for the LT1 or LT2 intake (I know the inch lbs to torque it too) I would use the LT1 torque sequence, it is 85 inch/lbs now
4) There is a step in the MSD directions where it tells you to use rubber bands to hold the back two manifold bolts when removing the stock manifold. I have no idea why it is telling us this and what it means? Could someone please explain? Here is the link to the MSD directions. No rubber bands are needed, the bolts in the LT1 and the LT2 intake are captured designed so they wont fall outhttps://static.summitracing.com/glob...s/msd-2700.pdf
Step 5 is the rubber band part. From what i understand the bolts won't fall out because they'll be held up by the intake? Thanks for the help.

See my answers in bold.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #186
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
The rubber bands help. They hold the bolts up so you can pull the intake out and not have the bolts scratch or hang up in the ports. You don't need them but trust me it helps
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #187
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Good video on LT2:
https://youtu.be/6gOSpzQzqf0

GM states the LT2 runners at approx 210mm and that the manifold sits 2-3 inches higher than LT1. Given that the L86 intake can fit on the Camaro...

Interesting that the engineers confirm my thoughts on the LT1 intake manifold: plenum volume/cross-section is compromised for the C7 hoodline and the intake manifold is a restriction to the LT1, even from an OEM standpoint.

-LT1 runner lengths are approx 155-225mm (2 and 7 are shorter).
*Plenum vol.: 11.1L
-LT2 runner lengths are approx 210mm
*Plenum vol.: 14.1L
-Holly Hi-Ram lengths are approx 165mm
*Plenum vol.: 9.0L
-MSD runner lengths are 178mm
*Plenum vol.: 11.22L
-L86 runner length?
Based on the 14.1/11.1 figures, I just tried multiplying my manifold volume parameter by 1.27. I will take it for a ride tomorrow to see how it works.

According to this article the LT1 average runner length works out to 207.5
Amazing how long the runner is on the LT2 and still carries power well up top, but also makes sense how much power it has down low. Also can’t believe the msd has that little plenum volume, it seems much larger than the LT1. I will say the Lt1 utilizes the space in above the valley cover well, even more efficiently than the lt2
Attached Images

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 09-12-2020 at 05:41 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #188
m6-lt1

Thanks for your help with my questions guys. Unfortunately my car just had the hot start issue so I'm going to leave the manifold off for now while I try to get GM to believe it happened to me so they replace my starter. Hoping this is covered under the power train warranty.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #189
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Thanks for your help with my questions guys. Unfortunately my car just had the hot start issue so I'm going to leave the manifold off for now while I try to get GM to believe it happened to me so they replace my starter. Hoping this is covered under the power train warranty.
Try unbolting the two terminals to the battery and touch them together and see if it fixes your hot start issue
Old 09-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #190
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Try unbolting the two terminals to the battery and touch them together and see if it fixes your hot start issue
Thanks I'll try that next time. I barely put my car in situations where I "hot start" it so it may be awhile. This was the first time, after a one hour drive where during the last 10 minutes I drove hard for 2 of the minutes due to twisty roads, pulled up to a car wash just to rinse crap off my car. After 5 or 6 minutes I went to turn it on and it did the super slow cranks before it started. Seems like power train does not cover starter. Now I'm trying to see labor cost replacement for it as the part is pretty cheap at least.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #191
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Thanks I'll try that next time. I barely put my car in situations where I "hot start" it so it may be awhile. This was the first time, after a one hour drive where during the last 10 minutes I drove hard for 2 of the minutes due to twisty roads, pulled up to a car wash just to rinse crap off my car. After 5 or 6 minutes I went to turn it on and it did the super slow cranks before it started. Seems like power train does not cover starter. Now I'm trying to see labor cost replacement for it as the part is pretty cheap at least.
More and more this is making think I really should put in a remote solenoid in a cooler spot. I was at the border one day crossing over and the CPB officer told me to shut my car off, l immediately cringed. It barely started and there are numerous other times. Slow hot crank........ grrrrr
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 09-13-2020 at 06:57 AM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #192
6spdhyperblue

I ended up just adding the 3L to the original manifold volume so I’m running 16,420cm^3 and is looking ok. The transients are looking pretty good. Fuel comes right in and levels off. I am thinking the 1.27 multiplier was a bit too much and made it feel a little more lazy on the hit, but the data looked good. I ended up dropping it to the 16,420 we’ll see how I like it.. If anyone tries it let me know if you notice anything.

Also, my throttle was closing over 6,000 incrementally toward 6,800. I must’ve had my tune torque values set right up to the limit for the old combo, but I worked that all out, and it’s open to 6,800rpm. Yeah it’s pulling hard up top now

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 09-14-2020 at 07:14 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #193
Highland

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2017 2500HD, 2014 H
Got my manifold from GPI and it looks fine. Went with the modified to fit but unported.

Question...has anyone considered replacing the vac. hose barb up front? Sticks up like a flag pole or something! Lol!

Or is it not that noticeable when installed?
Highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #194
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post
Got my manifold from GPI and it looks fine. Went with the modified to fit but unported.

Question...has anyone considered replacing the vac. hose barb up front? Sticks up like a flag pole or something! Lol!

How long did it take to get the Manifold from GPI? ordered one last week same as you did, unported modified.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #195
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post

Yea it Definately sticks upwards.. I used the push connects from the stock hose and put them on a 3/8” hose.. one of the push fittings is a 45 degree. So I used that one on top to help angle it down.. looks good and clears fine.. my bad with the first pic, don’t know how to rotate
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #196
Chemist

Drives: HyperBlue 2SS 6M NPP MRC Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB0001 View Post
How long did it take to get the Manifold from GPI? ordered one last week same as you did, unported modified.
I ordered on 8/21. I received an email on Friday that it was in process. Didn't feel like too long of a wait for me.