Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Track alignment worth it for HPDE event?

I have my first ever track weekend coming up this weekend at Road Atlanta with chin track days and really looking forward to it... yes in the vert!

Having the blue beast's oil changed today to the new 0/40 with no issues or push back from dealer on switching to this oil which is part of my free 2 services. Others have commented on this new oil so providing my experience. Also switching to dot4 brake fluid.

My question is if adjusting to the track alignment would be worth it for this 2 day event? At my skill level, how much will the track alignment make a difference at a "non-racing" event? I understand the adjustment level on the stock ZL1's isnt too radical anyways.This will be my first time on a track, but far from a rookie behind the wheel.

I'm also closely watching the weather to decide whether to switch back to my stock GY's with 3k miles on them (if dry forecast) or keep with the current PS4's if rain potential.

Would you trust a place like NTB to do the alignment? or dealer preferred (i know a lot of dealer haters out there) Dealer wants $109 for alignment. then back to street again after.

Thanks for your feedback.
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
All depends on how many laps you will run and how hard. If you plan to run many sessions/laps and go hard, then the track alignment is a good idea to get proper tire wear.

I pay ~$100 for all my alignments at a non-dealer specialty shop.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
I just got into the Red group with Chin last week at Sebring. Started just like you with my first ever track day at Sebring last October. I have done 14 track days since then. Hope you don't get bit by the track bug like i did.

I think the track alignment could benefit for you even as a neophyte. I had mine track aligned my first event as well. If you plan on sticking with the stock alignment I would at least have them check it to make sure it is within specs. Don't know how many miles are on you car's tires right now but if it is a lot and they are showing their wear, plan on them being trash at the end of the weekend. Start with your cold tire pressure at 26 and your target hot psi should be around 34. When you start getting above 37 the tires may start to get a little slippery. Set your pressure right before every session at 26 and check the torque of your lug nuts right before every session as well.

Check the thickness of your brake pads.

I do trust my dealership to do my alignment and yours should be able to do it as well.

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

P.S.: I do not run in the rain. This is not a race and no trophies are given. Way too many variables especially with you being new and 15 other cars on the track with new drivers as well. Much to loose with little reward but that's my opinion. Also, make sure you get track insurance.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
100%
Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
I just got into the Red group with Chin last week at Sebring. Started just like you with my first ever track day at Sebring last October. I have done 14 track days since then. Hope you don't get bit by the track bug like i did.

I think the track alignment could benefit for you even as a neophyte. I had mine track aligned my first event as well. If you plan on sticking with the stock alignment I would at least have them check it to make sure it is within specs. Don't know how many miles are on you car's tires right now but if it is a lot and they are showing their wear, plan on them being trash at the end of the weekend. Start with your cold tire pressure at 26 and your target hot psi should be around 34. When you start getting above 37 the tires may start to get a little slippery. Set your pressure right before every session at 26 and check the torque of your lug nuts right before every session as well.

Check the thickness of your brake pads.

I do trust my dealership to do my alignment and yours should be able to do it as well.

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

P.S.: I do not run in the rain. This is not a race and no trophies are given. Way too many variables especially with you being new and 15 other cars on the track with new drivers as well. Much to loose with little reward but that's my opinion. Also, make sure you get track insurance.

Thanks for your input. they are doing the tech inspection today so ill get an update on the current brake pad wear and anything else needing attention. i have 8300 miles on the car. i pulled the GY's at 5k miles of mild driving to save for track days. my ps4's are practically new with about 3k on them. im fine with the GY's being toast after this weekend, 3-4 sessions each day.

Ill take your advice with the tire pressure. i was going to start a little higher but will keep an eye on the hot psi.

i want to have the best experience which is why i asked here. the alignment makes sense so ill go for it. praying for the rain to stay away.

and yes i have the track insurance.

Last note off topic-- i did a aggressive warm up session in GA mountains last sunday, about 200 miles. near end of the drive I now have a ticking sound on left front wheel when turning rt, and similar ticking sound on rear right (right rear wheel requires harder G's to make it happen, Left wheel can hear in a cul-de-sac turn.) they are checking it out today. not sure what that could be. only during turning.. tik tik tik... ive checked around the wheel and nothing visually rubbing or anything.

Thanks again
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Switching from street to track alignment on a standard ZL1 is a lot easier than on ZLE. Dealers in LA charge at least $100-$200 more just to rotate the camber plates, it's ridiculous.

I did it once and left it in track setting, it's not a daily and I want that camber on my canyon runs.

If you dont do a track alignment, once you start running fast laps you will cord the outside front tires a lot faster--you need camber for grip and wear. Also, be sure to bring a floor jack and swap your fronts every 1-2 sessions side to side. Rears too if you have time, but fronts wear maybe 30-50% faster due to weight of engine, high grip, etc.

I dont know if I agree you should reset pressure to 26 before each session, tires may still be relatively warm and you may be taking out too much. I prefer to lower pressure to 33-34 PSI all around immediately AFTER each session before they cool off. After a couple of sessions you shouldn't need to lower it--you'll come in at 33-34. But when I arrive at the track in the cold morning, I start the first session lowering to 26.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I'm running about -2.6F camber and I dont see any detrimental tire wear yet. I also fully expect tires to wear fast given amount of torque trying to actively destroy them on daily basis.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote