Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6

lulz...shift faster than this? 6800rpm baby!

lol...just havin fun...'cuss u all poked at us gear rowers first!

btw - cam gonna go in a couple of weeks...game changer....

peace!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #16
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post

peace!
Ya Frank...but its different when guys like you know how to drive lol. Most guys chirping about the autos are mostly average at best. Make sure we get some cam vids.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #17
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:

peace!
I shift a wee bit faster than that, but even I know a tuned auto will out shift pretty much any manual box with the exception of a race prepped manual or a Lenco hehe. 5spd Lenco will put a hurting on ya quick! You could probably do a 6spd too, but it gets pretty long by 5 gears. Also fluid maintenance is a bit of a pita, have to change it out every 1k miles under normal use and 500 miles under racing conditions. Ron, you ever stick a proper 4k stall in there, you're gonna be knocking on the 11s or be up in them if you hook and have decent air.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I'm actually catchin the teeth on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift...any faster and I'd be grinding big time...either the stock clutch is starting to show it's age or I need to raise the shift point just a bit higher...

and don't get me wrong...I like auto's just fine...it's just the this car is so much freakin fun!

when's your next trip to the track Ron?

peace.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm actually catchin the teeth on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift...any faster and I'd be grinding big time...either the stock clutch is starting to show it's age or I need to raise the shift point just a bit higher...

and don't get me wrong...I like auto's just fine...it's just the this car is so much freakin fun!

peace.
Looks like not till after our May 24 long weekend. I still have to open up my boat and get that in the water....which will be happening next weekend.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I shift a wee bit faster than that, but even I know a tuned auto will out shift pretty much any manual box with the exception of a race prepped manual or a Lenco hehe. 5spd Lenco will put a hurting on ya quick! You could probably do a 6spd too, but it gets pretty long by 5 gears. Also fluid maintenance is a bit of a pita, have to change it out every 1k miles under normal use and 500 miles under racing conditions. Ron, you ever stick a proper 4k stall in there, you're gonna be knocking on the 11s or be up in them if you hook and have decent air.
You stop trying to get me to spend more money on this car. Im easily influenced.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:

peace.
That's where I'm at - I have to limit my shift speed because the trans won't take it. My 1-2 is intentionally slower than the rest of my changes because it'll crunch.

All said and done - auto's are way better for drag racing. Some of us just enjoying doing it the hard way. It is very satisfying to make a nice pass banging your own.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
That's where I'm at - I have to limit my shift speed because the trans won't take it. My 1-2 is intentionally slower than the rest of my changes because it'll crunch.

All said and done - auto's are way better for drag racing. Some of us just enjoying doing it the hard way. It is very satisfying to make a nice pass banging your own.
hahaha...your 2-3 shift doh.....
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
hahaha...your 2-3 shift doh.....
I like to think it's pretty decent. Wish I could snatch the 1-2 like that, but it crunches pretty nasty if I go any faster than that, and I wanna be able to do this for at least another season. It hard, I have to remember to intentionally slow it down every time.

Maybe a faceplate some day down the road for me. I'd really like to drive somebody else's on the street and see how bad/not bad it really is.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
I am not saying it was bad. Those shifts seem quick. I was laughing at your follow through with your arm on the 2-3 shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
I am not saying it was bad. Those shifts seem quick. I was laughing at your follow through with your arm on the 2-3 shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries. I dunno what that's about - it cracks me up every time too.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #26
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Not to be negative but I’m guessing since you guys are into racing, if a tranny lasts only one season, you’re good with that. For us ‘casual enthusiasts’ that can’t afford a new/rebuilt tranny every spring, should we avoid any aggressive trans tunes?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Not to be negative but I’m guessing since you guys are into racing, if a tranny lasts only one season, you’re good with that. For us ‘casual enthusiasts’ that can’t afford a new/rebuilt tranny every spring, should we avoid any aggressive trans tunes?
While it is a goal for me, I've never been to the track yet. For the power level I'm at I shouldn't have much of anything to worry about. Additionally, I asked my tuner about longevity of my transmission and he said that the more aggressive tune would actually help the transmission because it wasn't slipping into gears as the factory tune lets them do.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #28
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I don’t drag but, I do road race mine. Ryan @ GPI (Rhino79) tunes mine. I use the paddles and I shift between 6k and 6500 RPM (depending on straight-a-way length). My trans temps sit between 160° and 180° after a session so temps are great for me. Mostly 3rd and 4th gear on the road course...

When these are tuned, they are fantastic...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote