#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ZLE Bushing Review

I installed a bunch of stuff at the same time, so this can't be an apples-to-apples review, but I think there is enough to glean something useful from. I wanted to get rid of as much of the sway on drag radials (DRs) as I could, knowing a lot of that sway was likely coming from the DRs themselves. Still - I wanted to minimize as much as I could, and it seemed to me this was the best way to go.

Brief overview: '20 ZL1 on stock wheels and tires, with about 2300-miles on the clock. I went from completely stock suspension to adding the ZLE bushings, but added a bunch of BMR-stuff (front cradle braces, upper control/trailing arms, lower trailing arms, and tie rods - all arms with rod ends) at the same time. I had an alignment to OEM ZL1-specs, too. That should be all the relevant mods' effecting this review.

There is more noise (not ring gear as of yet) coming from the rear, as expected. The coarse'r the road, the more noise, as expected. The noise is more muted than I thought it would be though. I would not go so far as to say the car rattles now, though; it's more of a clunking sound (almost like when you get a spring-pop when lifting a tire through a gutter or something that requires a lot of suspension articulation). It doesn't clunk over every little imperfection either, so, for now, it's not really bothersome. It might get grating over time, but I'm not sure I'd swap the BMR-stuff out because of the noise. I know more is coming through the bushings/arm rod ends, but I feel better knowing the cradle isn't squishing around. The car seems to go straight'er with the tires spinning now, where it would start yaw'ing before. It feels slightly more predictable now, which might be in my head, but giving me more confidence in the car is a good thing.

I have to admit that I haven't gotten the DRs back on the car yet. I'll be doing that soon, because I can't assess much on street tires. I haven't pushed the car too much either because I'm trying to collect data, so I'm not really throwing it around much. I can say, though, that the car feels a lot more planted from a dig. If I could cut the sway with the DRs by half, I'd call it a complete success, but I'm sure I couldn't expect much, if anything, more. So far though, I'd say there are no ill effects, and aside from the work it took to replace them, there is no downside. With stock-type suspension, as others have posted, I'm not sure you'd get much more noise over standard rubber cradle bushings. I'd still do this again though - at least the ZLE cradle bushings.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I went with the BMR cradle lock out kit. The ride didn't seem to suffer much at all and it keeps it planted under acceleration.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I’ve had cradle lock out kit on my workbench for months. Planning to install sometime over the winter. Maybe when it’s down for the blower porting. This makes me want to get them on there
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
I installed the ZLE bushing and it makes a huge difference. I also have full SPL rear components but the bushing make everything not flex.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Great info, Rad! I agree that even on stock Supercar 3's that spin way too easy, the car remains under much better control and tracks straighter too. When I'm running drag radials it was much improved too. I'm running virtually the same setup as you only both BMR cradle and diff lockouts vs ZLE bushings. I went with poly ends on the BMR control/trailing arms...you're too hardcore with your rod ends for me.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
ZLE bushings should have come with the SS 1LE and ZL1.

I put them on my SLE, no more noise, a little more feel, as in you can feel the surface you're on. Well worth it!
Old 12-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I went with the BMR cradle lock out kit. The ride didn't seem to suffer much at all and it keeps it planted under acceleration.
I've read good reports from that kit. I have a habit of letting the smoke out, so I had to go the route which required more work. HA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I’ve had cradle lock out kit on my workbench for months. Planning to install sometime over the winter. Maybe when it’s down for the blower porting. This makes me want to get them on there
Getting that cradle locked-up better just brings more confidence, if you ask me. I think that's worth it's weight in gold. DO IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I installed the ZLE bushing and it makes a huge difference. I also have full SPL rear components but the bushing make everything not flex.
Do they only do rod ends? If so, how do you like the set-up? Would you say it's any "noisier"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Great info, Rad! I agree that even on stock Supercar 3's that spin way too easy, the car remains under much better control and tracks straighter too. When I'm running drag radials it was much improved too. I'm running virtually the same setup as you only both BMR cradle and diff lockouts vs ZLE bushings. I went with poly ends on the BMR control/trailing arms...you're too hardcore with your rod ends for me.
Do get much NVH with the diff' lockout? I'm been thinking about that one, but I'm a little worried about too much NVH, considering everything else. I've thought about seeing what squeezing RTV into the voids and seeing what difference, if any, that makes. I read about people doing that in the past. It sounds a little hoky, but I'm not above doing something that works. Shoot - hardcore - says the one with like +30% more power, LOL I wouldn't suggest these rod ends are for everyone one... That's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
ZLE bushings should have come with the SS 1LE and ZL1.

I put them on my SLE, no more noise, a little more feel, as in you can feel the surface you're on. Well worth it!
THIS. Especially the "feel"-part. I do agree this is a great way to describe the sensation I called "noise".

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote