Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
anyone done t-tops

I posted this question a while ago, but don't think I ever got a response.

Has anyone had t-tops installed on their 5th gen? I've always loved them and want to get a second or third gen with them one of these years. But was just wondering if anyone here has had them done to their 5th gen. If so, what do you think, are they worth doing?
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I think the people doing the Camaro to Trans Am transformation were doing it.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Trans am worldwide has done them as said above. I’ve got them in my IROC, but I don’t think I would personally like them in a 5th Gen. My suggestion would be to buy a 2/3/4 Gen with them factory and don’t look back.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
hydrasingerbeerpool

Drives: camaro
Yes, some people have had t-tops installed on their 5th gen. Gave it a more classic vibe.
hydrasingerbeerpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #5
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I would love to put T-tops on mine. its one of the major things I miss from my 4th gen.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:03 PM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
I would love to put T-tops on mine. its one of the major things I miss from my 4th gen.
Agreed, another thing GM missed.
I honestly thought by now somebody would be selling an aftermarket sunroof too.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Too many issues with Leaky T-tops in my opinion. Once my factory seals went bad, I could never get them to seal 100% ever again. Tried 3 diferent manufacturers, 3 different ways of bonding them to the chassis... They were good but never great. If your car was strictly a weekend or summer cruiser, I could see the appeal. But for a guy like me that daily drives my cars... Definitely a no from me. I particularly searched for a 5th gen with no sunroof for that reason.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Go topless! :-)
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:43 PM   #9
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Too many issues with Leaky T-tops in my opinion. Once my factory seals went bad, I could never get them to seal 100% ever again. Tried 3 diferent manufacturers, 3 different ways of bonding them to the chassis... They were good but never great. If your car was strictly a weekend or summer cruiser, I could see the appeal. But for a guy like me that daily drives my cars... Definitely a no from me. I particularly searched for a 5th gen with no sunroof for that reason.
I know that was an issue with 3rd gens which is why I have a hardtop 86 but my 4th gen never leaked at all and it was a daily driver for over 10 years through every season.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:39 PM   #10
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You should look at transamworldwide.com. They do t tops but you should check out there latest rendition of the “70” SS Chevelle
Attached Images

Last edited by hunter1660; 02-11-2023 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add pic
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #11
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
You should look at transamworldwide.com. They do t tops but you should check out there latest rendition of the “70” SS Chevelle
Wow, that's still just as ugly as when it came out a few months back.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #12
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I'm sure safety is the only reason why there no TTops available. If you ever had a bad wreck in a TTOP car it isn't good. Very dangerous because the top shatters then anything can come into the cabin and hit your head. We hit a utility pole that snapped off and took out the ttops and let the pole enter the cabin. Drivers head got grazed pole ended up in the back seat-rear hatch area. Luckily the driver is short as the pole took out the back of the seat and ended up in the rear seat-hatch area of the Trans Am. Car totaled in a split second! Still blows my mind how fast bad bad things can happen in a car. One min its fine then in a split second you hear the crunch and don't even know what happened they are cutting you out of the car.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:06 PM   #13
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
I've never been a fan of t-tops but I have always like the Targa top look. I wouldn't mind having a 5th gen with that set-up.

Last edited by Danial; 02-13-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:08 PM   #14
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Wow, that's still just as ugly as when it came out a few months back.
Haha...yep.