Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Need Help On Deciding If I Should Get All-Seasons

Purchased a used 2017 SS a few months ago. It came with the factory GoodYear Assymetric 3 RunOnFlat summer tires.

I have been trying to decide if I should change out my tires to a set of all-seasons.

I live in north Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. Most of the year, roads are fine and temps rarely dip below the 20's for the lows even in the coldest months which is typically January/February. We do get snow but usually not until January/February and normally not too much.

I know that the Goodyear summer tires are not recommended to be driven on below 20. But up until that point, how do these tires do in the cold?

Just trying to decide if it's really worth switching for only a handful of days of really cold weather.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Conti DWS06.

Or just park your car if the roads are icy.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Yes all-seasons are fine. I like the General AS-05.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I have two sets of wheels, one with the General AS-05's, the other with BFG Comp2 plus A/S. I prefer the BFG's. Both manufacturers will offer seasonal rebates on a set of 4 tires. You just have to check the web sites and time your purchase.

I would not go back to run flats.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Conti DWS06.

Or just park your car if the roads are icy.
Exactly!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Purchased a used 2017 SS a few months ago. It came with the factory GoodYear Assymetric 3 RunOnFlat summer tires.

I have been trying to decide if I should change out my tires to a set of all-seasons.

I live in north Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. Most of the year, roads are fine and temps rarely dip below the 20's for the lows even in the coldest months which is typically January/February. We do get snow but usually not until January/February and normally not too much.

I know that the Goodyear summer tires are not recommended to be driven on below 20. But up until that point, how do these tires do in the cold?

Just trying to decide if it's really worth switching for only a handful of days of really cold weather.
Lived in the DC metro for awhile (similar longitude to Cinci). Never switched the summer's out. Really only a few days in winter where I have to park it & stay home. With groceries, it's no big deal. really... only like a day here & there...
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
Lived in the DC metro for awhile (similar longitude to Cinci).
I think I need a new globe.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #8
KindaOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think I need a new globe.
Latitude haha my bad
Old 08-31-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
A lot of people get a set of smaller wheels with "winter" or "all-season" tires of some sort for December-February. That's basically what I've done on my SS 1LE. The base Camaro 18x8.5 wheels work well for this, and there are lots of tire choices in the stock 245/50/18 size.

If you just go with all-seasons on your SS wheels, then probably the fastest and most "sporty" of the bunch is the new Michelin PS All-Season 4. It comes stock on non-Z51 C8 Corvettes. It's probably what I'd choose, since most of your days are not snowy/icy and you'll appreciate the dry-weather grip.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
KindaOrange

Ditto on the second set of tires & wheels. If you even need them. My summers drove just fine in DC's winter (save for maybe a couple days out of the year). When it's cold, drive conservatively of course, but understand: This is a rear-wheel-drive racecar with near 500horsepower. Gotta be careful sometimes. Idk if you have work-from-home flexibility, but that's another good reason to keep the GY's (at least until they wear out).

Some folks love to hate on the OEM tires, but I think they're a great choice. Mine lasted 37k miles, been through multiple track days, and DC winters. One of 'em got punctured & the run-flat worked great, drove 2 days on 'em before fixing. Tough tires.

There's a reason Chevy chose them as the OEM set.

Last edited by KindaOrange; 09-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
Ditto on the second set of tires & wheels. If you even need them. My summers drove just fine in DC's winter (save for maybe a couple days out of the year). When it's cold, drive conservatively of course, but understand: This is a rear-wheel-drive racecar with near 500horsepower. Gotta be careful sometimes. Idk if you have work-from-home flexibility, but that's another good reason to keep the GY's (at least until they wear out).

Some folks love to hate on the OEM tires, but I think they're a great choice. Mine lasted 37k miles, been through multiple track days, and DC winters. One of 'em got punctured & the run-flat worked great, drove 2 days on 'em before fixing. Tough tires.

There's a reason Chevy chose them as the OEM set.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I do have the option now to work from home because of Covid. I was thinking that should the roads get icy/snowy, I would likely just work from home on those days.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #12
WldchrySS

Drives: 2021 camaro ss
I live on the coast of Virginia. Winters here can be mild sometimes. Other times not so much. I have 2 sets like most. I chose Bridgestones for my winter set. I have the factory tires for summer.
WldchrySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Just a comment on temperature - summer only tires should not be used at temperatures below 40 degrees F. It's not just about ice and traction, it's the rubber compound itself that becomes hard and brittle at low temps. You lose pretty much all grip at 40 degrees - driving on them in truly freezing temperatures can lead to them actually developing cracks in the treads and then they need to be replaced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #14
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Just a comment on temperature - summer only tires should not be used at temperatures below 40 degrees F. It's not just about ice and traction, it's the rubber compound itself that becomes hard and brittle at low temps. You lose pretty much all grip at 40 degrees - driving on them in truly freezing temperatures can lead to them actually developing cracks in the treads and then they need to be replaced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273
This is definitely what they say, and if you want to be absolutely safe from any damage then you can follow this. My and many other people's experience is that they can go a little colder safely. My rule is freezing: 32F. In reality they can go colder than that without damage (again based on experience), but you're starting to push your luck when it's colder than freezing. Other things factor in, like if there's any sun (even on a cloudy day) where the black tires can soak up some heat, and also how much heat is in the road surface.

But your bigger point is undoubtedly correct: it's less about losing grip in the cold/snow and more about cracking the tread compound.