Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Xxlblackzl

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1
ZL1 Mods????

Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar. Also want good power increase while maintaining traction on normal sport michellins or pirellis. (NO SLICKS LOL). Dont really wanna use ethanol either, 93 is available near me

Rotofab intake
(Maybe) Kooks long tube headers (sound is cool, but prefer power, dont want drone, or cammed type of sound. Or should I do full system?)
Pulley?? (I think lower pulley from what I’ve seen… again not sure. I seen cleetusmcfarland’s video of serious gains from just a pulley).

Im a newbie in car mods, so some of the stuff I dont understand Lol so can you guys "dumb it down" a little bit. I kno basics, but some things I dont know at all, or know the benefit (benefit contributes to whether I'd be interested or not).

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam��

Last edited by Xxlblackzl; 09-18-2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Had to include tire/ traction specifications
Xxlblackzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #2
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
My zl1 is still relatively stock still *just a rotofab and S-type axle back* mostly cause its still under warrant until the end of Nov. I want to lightly mod mine when the warranty is over, but I dont want to go "all in" trying to break some HP record or anything like that. Like you, im good for right around another 100 or so HP/TQ and im good.

For me, the biggest "issue" is tuning. Well, more like trying to avoid having to grt multiple tunes for mods. Plus some mods require "supporting" mods. IE, could you go to a 2.3 pulley, sure. But it would be better if you had a full exhaust done. Then, are you wanting to port the blower or not.

Ive just been slowly saving up to do everything at once. I'll send the blower off to get ported and have the shop Install the exhaust in the mean time. Then get the blower back and have it installed with the 2.3 pulley with the 103tb and big gulp cai.

COULD you do JUST a pulley swap and tune first...sure. just like you could do a full exhaust first with a tune and then later grt the pulley put on. there is no right or wrong way to do it, but usually full exhaust work should be done reguardless.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
AZIROC

Oh, and you may want to at a catch can to your list.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Not sure if I missed it, but what budget for mods? Flex fuel, CAI, and tune will get u there. Add a pulley to get closer to the higher number in your goal.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Xxlblackzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
My zl1 is still relatively stock still *just a rotofab and S-type axle back* mostly cause its still under warrant until the end of Nov. I want to lightly mod mine when the warranty is over, but I dont want to go "all in" trying to break some HP record or anything like that. Like you, im good for right around another 100 or so HP/TQ and im good.

For me, the biggest "issue" is tuning. Well, more like trying to avoid having to grt multiple tunes for mods. Plus some mods require "supporting" mods. IE, could you go to a 2.3 pulley, sure. But it would be better if you had a full exhaust done. Then, are you wanting to port the blower or not.

Ive just been slowly saving up to do everything at once. I'll send the blower off to get ported and have the shop Install the exhaust in the mean time. Then get the blower back and have it installed with the 2.3 pulley with the 103tb and big gulp cai.

COULD you do JUST a pulley swap and tune first...sure. just like you could do a full exhaust first with a tune and then later grt the pulley put on. there is no right or wrong way to do it, but usually full exhaust work should be done reguardless.
What’s grt? New to forums Lol
Old 09-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Xxlblackzl

Any benefits to catch can besides decreasing build up?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Xxlblackzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Not sure if I missed it, but what budget for mods? Flex fuel, CAI, and tune will get u there. Add a pulley to get closer to the higher number in your goal.
Flex fuel? And no real budget total, but I dont wanna spend more than 1500 at a time per mod (excluding exhaust & labor for all mods)
Old 09-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxlblackzl View Post
What’s grt? New to forums Lol

grt is me sucking at typing. Should be get.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
LT, cai, tune. That's about it for the basic bolt-ons.

Personally I would not pulley the stock blower nor would I bother with porting it. If you want more in the way of boost then I recommend going straight to the 2650. That way you will have much more potential in the future when you decide to mod even more (cam, ported heads, etc).
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Any benefits to catch can besides decreasing build up?
This is exactly what a catch can does. Also helps with crankcase ventilation.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar

Rotofab intake
(Maybe) Kooks long tube headers (sound is cool, but prefer power, dont want drone, or cammed type of sound. Or should I do full system?)
Pulley?? (I think lower pulley from what I’ve seen… again not sure. I seen cleetusmcfarland’s video of serious gains from just a pulley).

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam💯
If ethanol is widely available where you live this is probably the cheapest option. You’ll need a flex fuel sensor and a tune. You can add headers after.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar

Rotofab intake

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam💯
Just chose from my mods menu.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #13
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Looks pretty stock except for intake and green belt.
Similar to JSH's build minus cam or valvetrain.
Supposed to be around 125 hp bump, max MAF flow is 80 lb/min in 4th gear pull before adding ethanol. Rough estimate 800 at the crank?

At a certain point you're gonna need drag oriented tires to put the power down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Evansa22; 09-17-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #14
NOVAtwinLS3

Drives: 2018 ZL1
For the $ and having Complete Street Performance’s knowledge, hard to beat they’re 755 package. I put down 630/660 on heat soaked run. Keeps stock boost level so not using pulleys creating more heat. They’re in PA just up road from you.

Tags
zl1 1le pulley, zl1 exhaust, zl1 mods