Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #29
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Another Toyota safety recall

I don't know who is worse: Tiger Woods or Toyota? The hits just keep coming

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss

Quote:
Federal safety officials have opened a probe into two models of Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles after drivers complained that their cars inexplicably stalled in traffic, sometimes at highway speeds.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration posted a document this week launching the investigation into Toyota's Matrix and Corolla cars. It's the latest in a string of quality-related issues for the Japanese automaker in recent months.

The document cited 26 complaints from drivers of 2006 model year Matrix and Corolla vehicles. Consumers "allege stalls occurring randomly while driving, including some on highways and some in intersections," the agency said.

The new investigation is another blow to an automaker that has seen its long-held reputation for quality come under attack amid a flurry of safety-related recalls and investigations this year.

Last week Toyota said it would recall more than 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the U.S. and Canada because their design increases the risk that they could suddenly accelerate out of control. In addition, Toyota recalled 110,000 Tundra pickups because of a rust problem that could cause the spare tire to fall onto the road, creating a hazard for other vehicles.

Toyota has announced recalls of more than 4.8 million cars and trucks in the U.S. and Canada since January. The company's second-largest annual total of recalled vehicles over the last decade was 1.1 million in 2004.

In 2000, Toyota recalled just 8,379 vehicles.

In addition to the Corolla and Matrix probe, which covers 397,000 vehicles, NHTSA is investigating the 2003 Sequoia based on allegations that the electronic stability control system seizes control of the brakes at inappropriate times. That investigation targets 68,289 sport utility vehicles.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson acknowledged the new investigation of Corolla and Matrix cars but declined to speculate on the potential causes.

"It's the first step," he said. "They're asking us for a preliminary evaluation. We'll submit that to them and they'll decide whether to take this to the next level."

NHTSA's records of complaints show numerous incidents of Corolla and Matrix vehicles stalling, often in situations in which other vehicles could strike the car. One such event details a Corolla that stalled in heavy traffic in December of last year, blocking a right-turn lane for two hours until it could be towed.

In another complaint, a consumer writes, "you NHTSA folks might want to give a call over to Toyota NA corporate headquarters before some young people have there [sic] lives destroyed by an engine stall in high speed commuter traffic."

The agency indicates that the problem could be linked to the electronic control module, or onboard computer. Toyota on its own issued a technical service bulletin to its dealers two years ago calling for replacement of that component in Corolla or Matrix vehicles experiencing "harsh shift."

An additional service bulletin, released at the same time, applies to models experiencing a "no start" condition.

Neither the Corolla nor the Matrix is included in the massive recall announced last week. That affects the 2007-10 Camry, the 2004-09 Prius, the 2005-10 Avalon, the 2005-10 Tacoma and the 2007-10 Tundra, as well as the 2007-10 Lexus ES 350 and the 2006-10 Lexus IS 250 and IS 350.

Toyota has said those vehicles could accelerate out of control because the gas pedal is prone to being entrapped by the floor mat.

The recall followed an August crash of a Lexus ES in San Diego County that claimed four lives and drew national attention to the issue.

As part of that recall, Toyota will modify or replace pedals in 4.26 million vehicles, as well as add safety software that it plans to begin using in all new vehicles starting next year.

Times research shows that at least 19 people have died in accidents involving Toyota vehicles that have accelerated out of control since the 2002 model year. That's more than all other manufacturers combined, according to NHTSA, which has called the situation a "very dangerous problem."

Toyota and Lexus dealers report that car buyers are showing reluctance to buy their vehicles because of the recall. But in a monthly sales call this week, Toyota executives said they were closely monitoring for any repercussions the current recall could have on sales but said that the effect so far had been minimal.

The automaker's U.S. sales are down 24% through the first 11 months of the year, and its share of the market has remained flat. Several key competitors, including Honda Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co., have gained share.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #30
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
That's not good news, my daughter has a 2010 Corrolla that she bought three months ago. So far no complaints of stalling.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #31
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
'Toyota has said those vehicles could accelerate out of control because the gas pedal is prone to being entrapped by the floor mat."

Who hasn't had a floor mat bunch up on them but it usually just stops you from pushing the pedal down. Never had a pedal get stuck.

They must be using some goofy setup ehy?
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #32
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I guess they think that a million vehicles that accelerate out of control is cancelled out by a million vehicles that stop by themselves?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #33
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
And the downward spiral continues.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #34
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
the vibe should be included in this too, it uses mostly toyota electronics (or so it seems by the design and operation compared to my GFs prius)
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #35
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
the vibe should be included in this too, it uses mostly toyota electronics (or so it seems by the design and operation compared to my GFs prius)
That's what I was just getting ready to say. I dont know how much they have in commen, but I believe they are basically the same car minus the body.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
And the downward spiral continues.
Indeed...quite the one, two...three, four, five....punch!

What's strange, though, is that I actually never expected Toyota to suffer this many um...'problems'. Huh. Whatever, I'm happy. More reason to buy a good GM or Ford.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #37
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I guess they think that a million vehicles that accelerate out of control is cancelled out by a million vehicles that stop by themselves?

Haha that's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Indeed...quite the one, two...three, four, five....punch!

What's strange, though, is that I actually never expected Toyota to suffer this many um...'problems'. Huh. Whatever, I'm happy. More reason to buy a good GM or Ford.
Indeed!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
well obviously!

i saw this thread and thought someone revived it, i can't believe there's still more problems coming.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
well obviously!

i saw this thread and thought someone revived it, i can't believe there's still more problems coming.
Indeed.

Over at GMI, we're talking about setting up a sub-forum just for toyota recalls. Pisses the toyota trolls off soooo much.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #40
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Talking about "The Spotlight reveals all."
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #41
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm just glad to see them getting national attention with these problems. No amount of clever advertising can sweep such huge problems back under the rug.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #42
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I am Glad

GLAD toyota has problems. Can't stand that stupid 'BEEP BEEP" alarm that goes off EVERY FREAKING time a LEXUS OWNER walks up to their stupid vehicle.

BEEP BEEP (oh i am walking up to my lexus now) i have to BEEP BEEP so people know when i am going somewhere in my car.

BEEP BEEP ( I am special i have a lexus and a $900 car payment)

BEEP BEEP (my tiny small lexus SUV is so fun to drive and has no headroom or any kind of room to transport anything)

BEEP BEEP (i am leaving for work now in my lexus)

BEEP BEEP (I am leaving for no reason except to BEEP BEEP people who were asleep 2 seconds ago)

BEEP BEEP (HOPE toyota continues to get 8 million recalls so that "beep beep" sound effect quietly goes away)

BEEP BEEP (IF YOU ARE GOING TO BEEP BEEP me, sorry I cannot have empathy for your sticking gas pedal.) TURN THE BEEP BEEP CRAP off please.

GO FREAKING BEEP YOURSELF and STICK YOUR KEY FOB UP YOUR _____ .

AND GET LOST TOYOTA.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BLAND FLAVORLESS RETARDED LOOKING CARS.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote