Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
A8 and A10 are AMAZING transmissions. It's mind blowing, really! We are talking about a "traditional" automatic transmission that is faster than a TWIN CLUTCH auto???? Holy hell that's amazing! As for the A10 vs M6. Without trying to make me sound like an a$$ or causing the whole auto vs m6 debate... My choice will always be Manual. I am the master, not the car Also the fact that you get to save yourself 2 grand and a lot more joy in the process is a win for me haha.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #16
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I will be taking my '16 2SS with the A8 up to Road America at the end of April, first of May. So, I'll get a solid chance to see how well it will respond to me in manual mode and then left to its own devices in perf-shift auto mode.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
I'll be the first to admit I am a HUGE die hard manual fan. I fully acknowledge the performance advantage current auto transmissions bring, but I just don't care. It's so much more than that for me. It's the visceral feel of driving the car and rowing the gears. When I take my car out into the mountains on a twisty road there is no substitute in my opinion for the absolute fun of driving a manual. I'm sure this 10 speed is a fantastic transmission and will certainly be quicker in just about every respect, but again, I want to drive my car, and a big part of that experience is shifting. To each his own. I'm glad Chevy gives folks the option and I'm especially thankful that we haven't become like the European manufacturers who are more and more going exclusively Auto. Porsche seems to have listened to fans with their new 911R manual only car!
I think that sums up the passion folks have for Manual, it certainly applies to me; but...I just don't know now.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I will be taking my '16 2SS with the A8 up to Road America at the end of April, first of May. So, I'll get a solid chance to see how well it will respond to me in manual mode and then left to its own devices in perf-shift auto mode.
Awesome! Can't wait for your review after multiple hot laps.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #19
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Slick View Post
I'm not sure how you could watch this hot lap video and not seriously consider the A10.

https://youtu.be/i-y0VHzAglw
exactly...wow.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Awesome! Can't wait for your review after multiple hot laps.
Yeah.. I'll post up some track vids and my opinion... It won't be Cam5/6 article type details but I'll do what I can.. Hoping the weather will be good.. Last time I was up there, it was raining on the track one day, so that was puckering.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I am eager to learn two things before making a decision...

#1: The nature of the single overdrive gear in the manual transmission. Will it be daily drivable? Sustained highway driving?

#2: The fuel economy rating (and therefore GG tax) of the A10. Will it escape the gas guzzler tax?

Right now, I'm ready to get it with a manual....just because I like them better.

We'll see.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #22
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
A10, sorry guys. it broke the threshold for me.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #23
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I also am leaning towards the A10. If it shifts as good as it looks on the video. If you watch when the driver hits the paddle and the tranny shifts, it is almost instantaneous. Pretty awesome. Also this will be a DD for me and my left knee starts hurting now when I am in traffic pushing the clutch in. Freaking traffic.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
The A8 is a great transmission!, The A10 sounds like it shifts even faster . I would Definitely go for the A10 , I Love a manual have owned many, but the new technology has put them way above , fuel economy, speed , straight line, road course and durability for starters are the main reasons I would pick the A10
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #25
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Great input from everyone. Glad to know that I am not the only manual guy rethinking his position on things. Does it concern anyone that we have no durability testing on the A10 specifically related to track days (either straight line or twisties)?
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #26
HumanWiki

Sometimes I feel like this forum is bi-polar... All this love for the A10 and how sophisticated and fast it is..

Then you read a thread like this one.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445352

and, there's so much dislike for autos that it borderlines on manhood jabs.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Sometimes I feel like this forum is bi-polar... All this love for the A10 and how sophisticated and fast it is..

Then you read a thread like this one.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445352

and, there's so much dislike for autos that it borderlines on manhood jabs.
LOL
Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #28
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
I'll be the first to admit I am a HUGE die hard manual fan. I fully acknowledge the performance advantage current auto transmissions bring, but I just don't care. It's so much more than that for me. It's the visceral feel of driving the car and rowing the gears. When I take my car out into the mountains on a twisty road there is no substitute in my opinion for the absolute fun of driving a manual. I'm sure this 10 speed is a fantastic transmission and will certainly be quicker in just about every respect, but again, I want to drive my car, and a big part of that experience is shifting. To each his own. I'm glad Chevy gives folks the option and I'm especially thankful that we haven't become like the European manufacturers who are more and more going exclusively Auto. Porsche seems to have listened to fans with their new 911R manual only car!
Totally agree. I don't care that the auto is faster. There is no replacement for the experience you have driving a manual. In stop and go traffic, I PREFER driving a manual. I can't stand autos constantly trying to guess my next move. I would not even consider buying a ZL1 (or any camaro) if it did not come in manual.

Now, if I were disabled in a manner that prevented me from shifting a manual, that would be a different story.

No disrespect to the Auto crowd though, to each his/her own
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote