Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #43
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
Sorry but this Information can be misleading. The C7 Z06 with track option comes standard with mag ride and can adjust to the different damping for the race track. The Shelby GT R comes only with mag ride and is not intended as a daily driver. People should realize that the main purpose is not to give you a softer ride. The driver mode set on track will not give you a soft ride. Turn off all the nanny devices and the mag ride in track mode will be as close as you can get to optimize your damping requirements. I can feel the firmer ride in track mode on curves and under hard breaking less dive.

Summit is trying to justify his purchase of the regular shocks thru his uninformed opinion.

From his statements he has made it clear he thinks MRC does not hav firmer settings than the stock shocks and that MRC is only about making the ride " more cushy"

I spoke to the Camaro6 team's chassis dynamics engineer at FNR Seattle, then to Monty and Al Oppenhieser at FNR Los Angeles.

They both stated that non-MRC cars have suspension that is equivalent to the Sport Setting on MRC cars.

Track setting on MRC gives you a much firmer ride and more dampening in both the pitch and roll axis.

The end.

Coil overs might be a superior product strictly for the track... But the insinuation that the standard shocks are better than the MRC is bunk. Two different car magazines tested two different cars of two different weights in two different environments.... and that is your proof that non MRC cars handle better?

I think I'll stick to the first hand statements made by the engineers who designed this car.

Last edited by aa406079; 01-07-2016 at 09:49 AM.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #44
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
I don't know what happened... I went in for an oil change in my 2013 ss Camaro and walked out with a purchase order on a new 2016 Camaro ss!! The difference between the two cars is incredible ! I had NO intention to buy a new Camaro, as mine only had 4,781 miles on it. But one test drive and I had to pee, I was that excited!! I take delivery tomorrow. Mosaic black Mitalic 6m npp mrc and my old black zl1 rims. I'll tent the Windows to 10% and call it a day! And that's how much better the 2016 is! Just my opinion!
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #45
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Summit is trying to justify his purchase of the regular shocks thru his uninformed opinion.

From his statements he has made it clear he thinks MRC does not hav firmer settings than the stock shocks and that MRC is only about making the ride " more cushy"

I spoke to the Camaro6 team's chassis dynamics engineer at FNR Seattle, then to Monty and Al Oppenhieser at FNR Los Angeles.

They both stated that non-MRC cars have suspension that is equivalent to the Sport Setting on MRC cars.

Track setting on MRC gives you a much firmer ride and more dampening in both the pitch and roll axis.

The end.

Coil overs might be a superior product strictly for the track... But the insinuation that the standard shocks are better than the MRC is bunk. Two different car magazines tested two different cars of two different weights in two different environments.... and that is your proof that non MRC cars handle better?

I think I'll stick to the first hand statements made by the engineers who designed this car.
You seem to like to make stuff up and twist my statements around to suit your needs? I never said that the standard suspension was "better", or "that it doesn't have firmer settings". I simply made points as to if you plan on tracking your car getting the standard suspension and upgrading it would be the better choice. Hence why I was talking about SCCA and NASA cars. Have you ever even ran a car on an actual road course? I have countless times. Do you have an SCCA license? I do. I am not speaking out of my ass like many on here or any forum do...

Many people think that MRC will turn Joe Blow into Mario Andretti and don't understand how it works. Not to mention that they believe everything someone working for GM tells them who is trying to sell cars with as many options as possible to the general public. MRC is fantastic for what it does, but it is not the best choice for everybody and every situation. I simply compared the tests of non MRC and MRC cars to show that there is not a huge difference in that respect.

With that being said, even though you said "I am trying to justify my purchase of regular shocks", one more thing you made up, I have actually yet to decide what way I am going. I am still deciding if this car will become more of a track car and replace the current car I use for that, in that case I will not get MRC and will do coilovers. OR if this car will be more of a weekend cruiser with an occasional track day. If I go that route I will get MRC.

You make like I hate MRC and that is not the case at all. I was simply trying to explain that their are other alternatives that depending on what your car will be used for may make more sense...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #46
NVR2L8

Drives: 09 Z06
For a real track enthusiast, MRC is a joke on Corvettes and also on the Camaro. Street driving, NVH, etc. is a completely different application.
NVR2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #47
Tachyon

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS - Hyper Blue
Orders of magnitude difference. Yes, you can feel that 55HP difference. But it's also that 200+ pounds of weight she's shed. The '11 would certainly give folks unaccustomed to sports cars the 'acceleration giggles', the '16 gives 'em outright acceleration laughter.

Whereas the Gen5 had no problems taking corners (would do almost a G on the skid plate fer cryin' out loud), she really wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Really, she wanted to sashay away in a straight line from those danged 'Stangs. The Gen6 absolutely smiles at the corners and slices them like an X-acto knife. Dat Alpha platform tho!

The size reduction has its benefits in performance; but as a big guy in several dimensions it's a bit of a tighter fit into the vehicle. Not any less comfortable than the previous vehicle, just... different. And I'm confident I will adjust. It seems to me that the doors don't open as widely. By that, I mean the angle between the door and the frame don't seem as wide, and therefore my clown-like feet get tangled up a bit more often. But this could be just my imagination as well.

In the final estimation. I would've been VERY satisfied with continuing to drive my 5th Gen. Sitting in and test driving the Gen6 Camaro sealed the deal for me. The interior upgrades are also tremendously better than the previous generation.

Also in the fleet:
2015 BMW K1600GTL - "Serenity"
2009 Piaggio MP3 - "Demoni"
2009 Kymco Xciting 500r - "MFS"
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - "BiRT"
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #48
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
In the final estimation. I would've been VERY satisfied with continuing to drive my 5th Gen. Sitting in and test driving the Gen6 Camaro sealed the deal for me. The interior upgrades are also tremendously better than the previous generation.
That's kind of how I felt after test driving a 2016 SS. I feel like some 6th gen owners exaggerate and go on to flame the 5th gen unfairly as if it was some inferior car built 20 years ago when it comes to performance. The 5th gen is still definitely no slouch in that area, but I will say that the 6th gen is more precise and confident. It's still close enough in my opinion that I would not jump from a 5th gen SS to 6th gen SS until a 1LE package comes out so it becomes a more perceivable upgrade. When it comes to interior quality, it's no contest and goes to the 6th gen. When it comes to exterior styling, well, I'm heavily opinionated on that because I much prefer the heavily retro inspired looks of the 5th gen a bit more than the softer curves of the 6th gen exterior. This last point is why I am holding onto my 5th gen unless something really changes my mind.

At the present moment, the 5th gen seems like the more iconic car still, but things can change over tim. Eventually, the 6th gen will get more exposure to the public, and special trims like the 1LE and ZL1 come out and hit he covers of magazines and will inevitably be prominently featured in movies and video games. Right now, I just feel like it's living in the shadow of the 5th gen, which was basically a production version of a very long-hyped concept car, so its release felt more impactful.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #49
Tachyon

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS - Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
That's kind of how I felt after test driving a 2016 SS. I feel like some 6th gen owners exaggerate and go on to flame the 5th gen unfairly as if it was some inferior car built 20 years ago when it comes to performance. The 5th gen is still definitely no slouch in that area, but I will say that the 6th gen is more precise and confident.
Gen5 is no slouch. By any stretch of the imagination. For those that don't believe, take a look at the re-sale value of your 5th Gen. Especially if it is well-kept. There are people who are willing to pay very good money to still drive these iconic and still tremendously performing vehicles.

Hell, I look at all Camaro owners as kin. Even the bulbous looking Gen4 folk.

Also in the fleet:
2015 BMW K1600GTL - "Serenity"
2009 Piaggio MP3 - "Demoni"
2009 Kymco Xciting 500r - "MFS"
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - "BiRT"
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #50
Blackwolf666

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
10-13 will forever be the most majestic camaro
Blackwolf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #51
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
+1. Besides the bigger websites that due full-blown reviews and are very numbers-focused, what does the average person feel driving this car compared to the 5th gen? Can you feel the extra 50HP and 200 or so LBs of weight savings? Or is it too little to really notice under normal driving situations (accelerating to 60-70 on the highway, etc.)?
Yes you notice.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #52
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonScottMuzik View Post
You'll be happy to know that the Sun Viser is actually big enough to use. And Does block out the sun. I hate the new Chevy MyLink although they boast it's better technology I liked the one in my 2013 Camaro RS. Also the middle console storage sucks, and there is NO place to put your phone. unless you get an SS then you are going to love the above mentioned... I love the 8 speed transmission, I also like the fact that you can choose, Sport, Touring and Snow/Ice driving modes. and Also like the fact that Tires are a $100 cheaper than the Pirellies. N Staggered sizes, mean you can rotate and get more out of your rubbers. ..Also I love the the lighting, there are lights in the door handle and also one small interior light when your driving, unless of coarse you get the SS then it's all bad ass lighting and trim lighting... and OMG There is a Trunk release button by the back license plate... Love that and also, it's keyless entry/exit and push start ignition ....... but if I had the extra 10 grand to get the SS I sure would, I was only able to get the 1LT with the RS package...
I dont get it.. the gen 6 mylink is.much better.