Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2024, 05:36 PM   #1
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
M6 Clutch Chadder From Stop

Hey all. Looking for some advice for the clutch chadder I'm getting. When going from stop to 1st or Reverse, there's huge shudder during the action of lifting off the clutch. I can rev through it, but it just doesn't feel right, like forcing a constipated poop out. It gets the job done, but the root of the problem should probably be addressed.

Funny thing is when I first start the car for the day, or come out to it after work, it feels great. Pulling out of the parking stall, the clutch grabs like it should with absolutely no shudder. But after driving for 10 minutes or so, I can feel it when driving off after a stop, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.

Some of the posts I've read indicate possible oil on the clutch or the flywheel needing to be resurfaced. If the flywheel needs to be resurfaced, I would think I'd ALWAYS get the chadder, even when first starting off for the day?

The car's a 2020, but I just bought it a few months ago. Judging by the 10 bluetooth devices that were saved to the stereo, I'm suspecting it was previously a Turo and probably beat on by the renters.

It has about 20k miles.

Appreciate any thoughts.

2020 SS M6

Last edited by Jaybub; 01-25-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:56 PM   #2
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
You might have certain spots on the flywheel that are glazed and other areas that are fine. Chatter is usually always the clutch slipping then grabbing then slipping back and forth. If it grabs solid it just hit the right spot on the flywheel.

You mention it was formerly a Turo rental. I have a feeling you will need a new clutch and the flywheel resurfaced. You can actually go into the code log history to see if the clutch ever overheated - there’s a temp sensor on it as well as a sensor that knows if you’re actually riding the clutch too long. You’ll get a message on the DIC stating “clutch engaged - release clutch pedal” for those who might not know how to drive stick but had to rent it lol

I guess the only other thing I can think of is your hydraulic fluid might be low. If you can get under the car see if you have any leaks by the clutch, maybe have someone push the pedal in and out while you’re under watching it.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:59 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This probably needs to come apart to see what's going on. And once you have it apart the better move might be to replace questionable items. You could have cracked parts in the pressure plate from abuse, particularly if it was a rental vehicle.
Hopefully the flywheel isn't bad and maybe get away with a resurface.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
My old Trans Am had this issue, something inside the clutch had come loose (From memory it was some bolts that had backed off internally and was rubbing against the clutch plate or something? (I never actually saw it myself, just what I was told when I got it fixed)

Total conjecture but hey, throwing it out there
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:29 PM   #5
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
You don't resurface these flywheels, you have to replace them. It's about $1100 just in parts to do a clutch in an SS

I was a tech at Avis car rental back in the 90's, guarantee that if yours is an ex-rental car, you need a clutch.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #6
nprario

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le HBM
Some shudder is common on these cars with the dual disk dual mass clutch flywheel setup. Here is a link that has more discussion on the subject. A few more RPM's usually makes it go away.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...Clutch+shudder
nprario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:44 PM   #7
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprario View Post
Some shudder is common on these cars with the dual disk dual mass clutch flywheel setup. Here is a link that has more discussion on the subject. A few more RPM's usually makes it go away.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...Clutch+shudder
No clutch should ever shudder. Those in that forum who say theirs does or any insinuation that it’s “normal” in this car is 100% false.

If driven properly by someone who knows how to drive stick properly, this clutch should last 150,000 miles with zero shutter even if driven spiritedly.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #8
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
My SS does not shudder at all, no matter how little RPMs needed to start from a stop. If it felt even slightly wrong to me my OCD would have been all over it
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:15 PM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Contamination can also be an issue but if it was a Turo it was probably abused.